Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Problem with the "About" portion of the site.

Rhett_Butler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 3:37:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

If you would kindly scroll down to the "Members by income" portion of the page after clicking the link, you will see that 12% of members make 150K or greater.

Obviously, this is unrealistic, and in my opinion, this makes the site look less legitimate because people with that much money would more often than not be too busy to use a site like this, which is primarily centered around 16-25 year olds. I feel that this option should be changed in some way instead, as people will want to lie just to be trolls. Unemployed trolls..
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 3:40:09 PM
people could lie about any portion of their profile.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Rhett_Butler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 3:42:59 PM
I'm well aware of that. The thing is, I'm afraid that it might reduce the credible aspects of this site if it's prominently listed by the web domain that "15% of our users make over 150,000 a year!"
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 3:49:10 PM
At 6/21/2013 3:42:59 PM, Rhett_Butler wrote:
I'm well aware of that. The thing is, I'm afraid that it might reduce the credible aspects of this site if it's prominently listed by the web domain that "15% of our users make over 150,000 a year!"

I think that it's highly probable that the sort of population demographics one would find on DDO aren't reflective of the general population, simply because of the nature of the the site -but I also think that many represent, if they are telling the truth, their parents income rather than their own. That said, I have no idea whether to know if people are honest or not.
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 4:30:17 PM
At 6/21/2013 3:42:59 PM, Rhett_Butler wrote:

So Juggle release a small virus into our computers the next time to log on to scan our files and emails to determine how much we actually make (and might as well find our age, since a lot of people lie about that too, though not genders, no one lies about gender) so that they can seem more "legit"?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2013 10:47:40 AM
Any site has this problem. Much of it will include it being out of date as well as generally people "lying". People will not take it that seriously, however, whatever it said. There are no feasible systems to make people tell the truth, and the consequence is minimal. I've seen this site referred to repeatedly in newspapers and online articles, and because of the quality of the debate, not the income of the debaters. So let's focus on the important aspect, shall we, and keep a stiff upper lip, keep calm and carry on, and all that, chap?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...