Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Idea to make joke debates better

KingDebater
Posts: 687
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 3:18:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've had this problem and I know Imabench has had it too, it's when you create a joke debate and the guy who accepts it takes it seriously and wins. I was thinking that another type of debate called something like 'Joke' could stop this.
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 10:00:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/23/2013 3:18:55 AM, KingDebater wrote:
I've had this problem and I know Imabench has had it too, it's when you create a joke debate and the guy who accepts it takes it seriously and wins. I was thinking that another type of debate called something like 'Joke' could stop this.

That only happens once in a while for me...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 10:35:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/23/2013 10:00:00 AM, imabench wrote:
At 6/23/2013 3:18:55 AM, KingDebater wrote:
I've had this problem and I know Imabench has had it too, it's when you create a joke debate and the guy who accepts it takes it seriously and wins. I was thinking that another type of debate called something like 'Joke' could stop this.

That only happens once in a while for me...

;)
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 12:26:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/23/2013 9:41:18 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
OOOOR TYPE TROLL DEBATE IN THE OP.

duh.

For the last time:

Typing "HEY GUISE I'M TROLLING MKAY" ruins the humor entirely.
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 12:33:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
No. Just...no.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 4:45:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I propose we make a list of people whose debates are always to be assumed to be troll debates
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 8:56:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
We should have a children's section of DDO separate from the adult section, so the fun, fun, fun could go on without annoying the grownups.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 9:02:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/23/2013 4:45:36 PM, imabench wrote:
I propose we make a list of people whose debates are always to be assumed to be troll debates

1. Imabench
2. Kingdebater
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Whelp I think that's good.
Nolite Timere
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 10:04:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/25/2013 8:56:12 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
We should have a children's section of DDO separate from the adult section, so the fun, fun, fun could go on without annoying the grownups.

rude much...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 10:09:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/23/2013 3:18:55 AM, KingDebater wrote:
I've had this problem and I know Imabench has had it too, it's when you create a joke debate and the guy who accepts it takes it seriously and wins. I was thinking that another type of debate called something like 'Joke' could stop this.

1) Make a joke debate where both sides can joke.

For example, the JCats (or whatever we did). Rather than do "JCatz should be treated like cats" say "what animal should JCats be treated like" and mention non-human in the OP. Now, both sides are set for a joke debate.

2) Make a joke debate that actually touches on a serious topic.

For example, assuming that a border fence is to be built, we should use illegal immigrants to keep costs low, as well as consult with Mexico (just look at their southern border). Bam, you have a current event and you can make some fun of it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 10:16:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/25/2013 10:09:27 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 6/23/2013 3:18:55 AM, KingDebater wrote:
I've had this problem and I know Imabench has had it too, it's when you create a joke debate and the guy who accepts it takes it seriously and wins. I was thinking that another type of debate called something like 'Joke' could stop this.

1) Make a joke debate where both sides can joke.

For example, the JCats (or whatever we did). Rather than do "JCatz should be treated like cats" say "what animal should JCats be treated like" and mention non-human in the OP. Now, both sides are set for a joke debate.

2) Make a joke debate that actually touches on a serious topic.

For example, assuming that a border fence is to be built, we should use illegal immigrants to keep costs low, as well as consult with Mexico (just look at their southern border). Bam, you have a current event and you can make some fun of it.

3) Be prepared for a serious argument, just in case.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 10:17:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/25/2013 10:16:43 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 6/25/2013 10:09:27 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 6/23/2013 3:18:55 AM, KingDebater wrote:
I've had this problem and I know Imabench has had it too, it's when you create a joke debate and the guy who accepts it takes it seriously and wins. I was thinking that another type of debate called something like 'Joke' could stop this.

1) Make a joke debate where both sides can joke.

For example, the JCats (or whatever we did). Rather than do "JCatz should be treated like cats" say "what animal should JCats be treated like" and mention non-human in the OP. Now, both sides are set for a joke debate.

2) Make a joke debate that actually touches on a serious topic.

For example, assuming that a border fence is to be built, we should use illegal immigrants to keep costs low, as well as consult with Mexico (just look at their southern border). Bam, you have a current event and you can make some fun of it.

3) Be prepared for a serious argument, just in case.

That too.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 4:38:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/25/2013 8:56:12 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
We should have a children's section of DDO separate from the adult section, so the fun, fun, fun could go on without annoying the grownups.

This.
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 8:22:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/26/2013 4:38:21 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 6/25/2013 8:56:12 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
We should have a children's section of DDO separate from the adult section, so the fun, fun, fun could go on without annoying the grownups.

This.

I'm sorry, were the grown-ups busy doing something productive? After all, congress is listening to our internet voices.
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 12:21:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/26/2013 8:22:36 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 6/26/2013 4:38:21 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 6/25/2013 8:56:12 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
We should have a children's section of DDO separate from the adult section, so the fun, fun, fun could go on without annoying the grownups.

This.

I'm sorry, were the grown-ups busy doing something productive? After all, congress is listening to our internet voices.

I'd rather not start any DDO drama with you (sorry, CP); I actually enjoy you. I enjoy humor; I enjoy humorous debates; I simply don't think "trolling" should be as revered as it seemingly is, nor should it be prevalent enough to warrant its own entire section.
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 7:13:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 12:21:56 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 6/26/2013 8:22:36 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 6/26/2013 4:38:21 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 6/25/2013 8:56:12 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
We should have a children's section of DDO separate from the adult section, so the fun, fun, fun could go on without annoying the grownups.

This.

I'm sorry, were the grown-ups busy doing something productive? After all, congress is listening to our internet voices.

I'd rather not start any DDO drama with you (sorry, CP); I actually enjoy you. I enjoy humor; I enjoy humorous debates; I simply don't think "trolling" should be as revered as it seemingly is, nor should it be prevalent enough to warrant its own entire section.

So it's agreed. We burn KingDebater.
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:33:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 7:13:52 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 6/27/2013 12:21:56 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 6/26/2013 8:22:36 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 6/26/2013 4:38:21 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 6/25/2013 8:56:12 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
We should have a children's section of DDO separate from the adult section, so the fun, fun, fun could go on without annoying the grownups.

This.

I'm sorry, were the grown-ups busy doing something productive? After all, congress is listening to our internet voices.

I'd rather not start any DDO drama with you (sorry, CP); I actually enjoy you. I enjoy humor; I enjoy humorous debates; I simply don't think "trolling" should be as revered as it seemingly is, nor should it be prevalent enough to warrant its own entire section.

So it's agreed. We burn KingDebater.

That seems like the only logical course action left to take.