Do atheist get offended when.......

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 6:52:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/4/2009 6:49:23 PM, Koopin wrote:
Do atheist get offended when someone says Merry Christmas?

I'd just respond with "Happy Solstice." That's actually the true meaning of Christmas anyways. That day was chosen to compensate for the sun worshiping pagans, in an attempt to merge the Christian and pagan holy days.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 6:57:29 PM
Let's discus the many forums this could be in besides DDO...
http://www.debate.org...
...Miscellaneous...
...Religion...
...or Society.

But why Debate.Org?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 6:57:46 PM
At 12/4/2009 6:56:41 PM, Koopin wrote:
yeah, most people already know that.

I didn't know that.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 6:58:57 PM
A) Why isn't this in the religion category?

B) No, I don't. Throwing a bitch fit over something like that is a very silly thing, indeed.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:01:07 PM
yeah, most people already know that. So do you get offended?

lol, really? I'd say 90% of Americans don't (I think 40% deny evolution lol). But no, I don't get offended. I've been celebrating Christmas my whole life. I just treat it as a fun time of year. Some think it's historically true, some think it's fiction. Either way, it's fun to celebrate.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:07:13 PM
Only atheists who want to make a scene get offended. Christmas has practically become a secular holiday about family fighting and making up over dinner, anyway.

At 12/4/2009 6:57:29 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Let's discus the many forums this could be in besides DDO...
...Miscellaneous...
...Religion...
...or Society.

But why Debate.Org?

Your enthusiasm rocks. But honestly, wjmelements, thread placement doesn't really matter.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:09:14 PM
I think the main answer to this thread is that "getting offended" in general is an honor reserved for the religious; atheists don't have anything to get offended over because they haven't latched on to fragile beliefs that can be attacked without the person even realizing they are attacking them...
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:10:59 PM
Christmas is a celebration of capitalism and how it conquered spiritual pipe dreams by annexing their holiday.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:11:03 PM
At 12/4/2009 7:09:14 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
I think the main answer to this thread is that "getting offended" in general is an honor reserved for the religious; atheists don't have anything to get offended over because they haven't latched on to fragile beliefs that can be attacked without the person even realizing they are attacking them...

I am pretty sure atheists can get offended
kfc
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:14:10 PM
Why would I get offended? Do you get offended when someone says Happy Cinco De Mayo! to you?
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:14:58 PM
At 12/4/2009 7:01:07 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
yeah, most people already know that. So do you get offended?

lol, really? I'd say 90% of Americans don't (I think 40% deny evolution lol). But no, I don't get offended. I've been celebrating Christmas my whole life. I just treat it as a fun time of year. Some think it's historically true, some think it's fiction. Either way, it's fun to celebrate.

I've known that for a while. It's important to know parts of Christian history.
Example: Whenever 313 is mentioned, I remember Constantine and the Edict of Milan.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:19:22 PM

Right answer.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:28:44 PM
At 12/4/2009 7:19:22 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Right answer.

Wrong answer! Bzzt! You are the weakest link!

Atheists indeed attach themselves to beliefs that can be attacked as any other, and I'd say a lot of atheists can get even more pee'd off at ignorance than some religious individuals. A belief is a belief, and being an atheist doesn't mean you're not any less offended when someone calls you an idiot for believing as such.

Those that simply don't care whatsoever are most likely apathetic, instead of atheist.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:29:54 PM

I am pretty sure atheists can get offended

Everyone can get offended, but Atheists are much less likely to be the ones in that category, as atheism offers nothing to be offended over, while Christianity offers an entire package of beliefs for someone to be offended about.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:34:26 PM

Right answer.

Atheists indeed attach themselves to beliefs

You would have to be Christian to make that comment...

that can be attacked as any other, and I'd say a lot of atheists can get even more pee'd off at ignorance

At ignorance? Getting offended isn't about ignorance, it's about person A making a statement that causes an emotional reaction in person B. If Person B is a Christian, they have a lot more to be offended about than an atheist, who believes in nothing by default.

than some religious individuals. A belief is a belief, and being an atheist doesn't mean you're not any less offended when someone calls you an idiot for believing as such.

Calling someone an idiot is really not what we are talking about, is it?

Those that simply don't care whatsoever are most likely apathetic, instead of atheist.

Not caring is actually an incredible source of strength. In particular, knowing what not to care about. Caring about your family is good, but caring about your superstitions is bad...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:35:07 PM
At 12/4/2009 7:28:44 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/4/2009 7:19:22 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Right answer.

Atheists indeed attach themselves to beliefs that can be attacked as any other, and I'd say a lot of atheists can get even more pee'd off at ignorance than some religious individuals. A belief is a belief, and being an atheist doesn't mean you're not any less offended when someone calls you an idiot for believing as such.

Read my signature.

"Belief can be a coverup for insecurity. We don't have to believe in electricity. It's real." - Deepak Chopra

If someone tells you "electricity doesn't exist." Will you get offended? Or will you laugh and think they're an idiot. Same situation here.

If someone believes in God, and you tell them he doesn't exist, they'll get offended because they are attached to that belief.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:36:25 PM
OK I just realized I called Volkov a Christian and put my foot in my mouth... Hopefully he doesn't notice! I though that was wjmelements because he changed his pic...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:43:16 PM
At 12/4/2009 7:34:26 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
You would have to be Christian to make that comment...

Well, I'm not, and I just made it. That's because I'm practical and realize that I'm not the enlightened crop of the Earth, untouchable by commoners below.

At ignorance? Getting offended isn't about ignorance,

A good portion of offensive comments are made out of ignorance, which is usually a root cause for what people say, especially in the situations we're discussing. Or are you going to tell me that when someone questions your political beliefs without bothering to look into it, you're completely A-OK with it?

If Person B is a Christian, they have a lot more to be offended about than an atheist, who believes in nothing by default.

But atheists do believe in something - they believe in what the science tells them. Others don't agree with that, question it, and rant against atheists about it. And if you think putting your stock in science is not a "belief," then you don't know what a belief is.

Calling someone an idiot is really not what we are talking about, is it?

Sure it is. Its an offensive remark. Remember? To get an emotional reaction out of someone? Hm?

Caring about your family is good, but caring about your superstitions is bad...

Opinion, not fact. Probably not even a widely held opinion of matter.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:49:40 PM
At 12/4/2009 7:35:07 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If someone tells you "electricity doesn't exist." Will you get offended? Or will you laugh and think they're an idiot. Same situation here.

If someone believes in God, and you tell them he doesn't exist, they'll get offended because they are attached to that belief.

That, um, really makes no sense in this.

We're talking about beliefs, not facts. Want to know what a belief is?

Bob and Bill say electricity exists. Bob says the electricity funnels from this power station, and Bill says it funnels from another. Neither actually know, and make their opinions on speculative evidence, such as the direction of power lines.

Let me break it down for you.

Fact - electricity exists. Undeniable.
Belief - electricity comes from Power Station A, or, electricity comes from Power Station B. Speculative.

Do I need to go further?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:55:31 PM
At 12/4/2009 7:49:40 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/4/2009 7:35:07 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

That, um, really makes no sense in this.

We're talking about beliefs, not facts. Want to know what a belief is?

Bob and Bill say electricity exists. Bob says the electricity funnels from this power station, and Bill says it funnels from another. Neither actually know, and make their opinions on speculative evidence, such as the direction of power lines.

Let me break it down for you.

Fact - electricity exists. Undeniable.
Belief - electricity comes from Power Station A, or, electricity comes from Power Station B. Speculative.

Problem: Bob and Bill don't worship, praise, or have emotional/intellectual attachment to Power Station A or B. If Bob told Bill he was wrong about which power station, he could honestly care less.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 7:59:54 PM
At 12/4/2009 7:55:31 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Problem: Bob and Bill don't worship, praise, or have emotional/intellectual attachment to Power Station A or B. If Bob told Bill he was wrong about which power station, he could honestly care less.

Why would he care less, especially if Bob says Bill is an idiot for believing Power Station B is the source?

Its a matter of opinion - but its a matter of fact that people don't like having their opinions crossed. We disagree, and most disagreements are over something small and pointless, yes - but magnify it to the scale of religious, political and economic belief, then you'll rub against some very tightly wound individuals.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 8:23:10 PM
At 12/4/2009 7:59:54 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/4/2009 7:55:31 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Why would he care less, especially if Bob says Bill is an idiot for believing Power Station B is the source?

Its a matter of opinion - but its a matter of fact that people don't like having their opinions crossed. We disagree, and most disagreements are over something small and pointless, yes - but magnify it to the scale of religious, political and economic belief, then you'll rub against some very tightly wound individuals.

Well I can tell you from experience, that when I was a Christian, I would get deeply offended when my favorite musicians would talk about strangling Popes, poisoning communion (not literally), stoning Jesus, and destroying Christianity. That's because I had a belief in and emotional attachment to Christianity. As Rob1Billion pointed out, those are fragile beliefs that are clinged to. I no longer have any fragile, baseless, emotionally attached beliefs and now I can appreciate those lyrics.

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 8:28:51 PM
Caring about your family is good
No it's not.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 8:31:55 PM
At 12/4/2009 8:23:10 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Well I can tell you from experience, that when I was a Christian, I would get deeply offended when my favorite musicians would talk about strangling Popes, poisoning communion (not literally), stoning Jesus, and destroying Christianity. That's because I had a belief in and emotional attachment to Christianity. As Rob1Billion pointed out, those are fragile beliefs that are clinged to. I no longer have any fragile, baseless, emotionally attached beliefs and now I can appreciate those lyrics.

So, if I called to attention your absolutely f*cked up beliefs that only the clueless, the paranoid, and the mentally insane would bother to put stock in as anything near legitimate, important or sensible, you wouldn't be offended the slightest?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 8:40:56 PM
At 12/4/2009 8:31:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/4/2009 8:23:10 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

So, if I called to attention your absolutely f*cked up beliefs that only the clueless, the paranoid, and the mentally insane would bother to put stock in as anything near legitimate, important or sensible, you wouldn't be offended the slightest?

Lol, no. Everyone here has actually been extremely polite. I usually get a rather harsh response like that from most people, and it's expected. Feel free to try to offend me though. :)
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2009 8:50:36 PM
At 12/4/2009 8:40:56 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Lol, no. Everyone here has actually been extremely polite. I usually get a rather harsh response like that from most people, and it's expected. Feel free to try to offend me though. :)

I don't believe you, to be honest, but I'll assume that you're not offended.

Does this make it wrong for others to be?