Jump to topic:

Boycott

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:31:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If I can get at least 10 other active members to boycott debate.org, and close down our accounts until they fix this.

10, people, than we all close down our accounts until things get better. Until we get the old DDO back. The one we know and love, not this monster.

Whose with me?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:32:46 PM
At 7/2/2013 8:31:26 PM, TUF wrote:
If I can get at least 10 other active members to boycott debate.org, and close down our accounts until they fix this.

10, people, than we all close down our accounts until things get better. Until we get the old DDO back. The one we know and love, not this monster.

Whose with me?

Signup thread

1. TUF
2. TA
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:34:00 PM
Can someone put a " well that escalated quickly link" in this threAd?

I need one, and this IPad does not want to co-operate.

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:34:05 PM
What do we want!? The old DDO! When do we want it? Right now!

TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:34:26 PM
At 7/2/2013 8:34:05 PM, TUF wrote:

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:36:12 PM
For a boycott to get administrators to even turn in our direction, I'd imagine we'd need to make the forums utterly dead. That would mean about 40-50 participants - the most active members.

I'd be willing to join if the boycott reaches this scale.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:36:14 PM
Also, sig change.

Down with the new, up with the old!

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:39:09 PM
At 7/2/2013 8:36:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
For a boycott to get administrators to even turn in our direction, I'd imagine we'd need to make the forums utterly dead. That would mean about 40-50 participants - the most active members.

I'd be willing to join if the boycott reaches this scale.

I can definitely do that, though against my will.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:40:28 PM
No.

I think this is getting overly reactionary. For real. I really like the new look. I just think we need minor tweaks. And that's a lot easier to get accomplished than a complete revamp--or really, devamp--of the site.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:43:43 PM

Whose with me?

What exactly are you pushing for? I'm sure you'd admit there are some good things about the update, like the search options. As far as the new aesthetics, I don't think it's too bad, but "the old DDO" seems a little vague.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:45:17 PM
At 7/2/2013 8:40:28 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
No.

I think this is getting overly reactionary. For real. I really like the new look. I just think we need minor tweaks. And that's a lot easier to get accomplished than a complete revamp--or really, devamp--of the site.

Juggle recognizes the legitimate complaints and will be addressing them. It's a shame that some of the most prominent complaints have been about cursing, because that doesn't help anything. Nonetheless Juggle realizes that the front page needs some work, and should be about debates, and that will be changed. There are also some other things that are being brought up that will be possibly changed as well.

TUF has mentioned an issue with accessing the site from his cell phone and that will be looked into. In the meantime members should feel free to express the issues they have with the update but do so in a constructive manner.
Debate.org Moderator
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:53:54 PM
At 7/2/2013 8:45:17 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
No.

Juggle recognizes the legitimate complaints and will be addressing them. It's a shame that some of the most prominent complaints have been about cursing, because that doesn't help anything. Nonetheless Juggle realizes that the front page needs some work, and should be about debates, and that will be changed. There are also some other things that are being brought up that will be possibly changed as well.

TUF has mentioned an issue with accessing the site from his cell phone and that will be looked into. In the meantime members should feel free to express the issues they have with the update but do so in a constructive manner.

The only thing that I care about is the banner - make it not follow your screen.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:56:07 PM
At 7/2/2013 8:53:54 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
No.

The only thing that I care about is the banner - make it not follow your screen.

That's a reasonable suggestion. At the very least, I'd like to have the option of having it attached, rather than following.
Debate.org Moderator
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 8:56:17 PM
No.

lol you and that banner. what about the disorganized homepage? What about the opinion section getting the spotlight on what's supposed to be a debating website?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:00:32 PM
At 7/2/2013 8:56:17 PM, 000ike wrote:
No.

lol you and that banner. what about the disorganized homepage? What about the opinion section getting the spotlight on what's supposed to be a debating website?

These are the most significant things to me and both of those are already being addressed. The home page needs to make debates front and center (as well as being a bit more simplified), and Juggle realizes this and recognizes what needs to be changed. This will be being changed.
Debate.org Moderator
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:01:25 PM
The current forum graphics are a huge improvement over the old one, so leave it be. The front page can be fixed quite easily, and the introduction should be made more aggressive and avoid the word 'opinion' to settle down the purists. I don't see why a tantrum needs to be thrown. An effective boycott of DDO would have about the same chances, in my estimation, as modern day Texas successfully seceding from the Union.

I think I also need to point out that this is debate dot org, where I believe you can actually debate your opinions to settle issues rather than posting comically furious diatribes in order to pressure the people who own the site to make it how you want it to be.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:01:32 PM
At 7/2/2013 9:00:32 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
No.

These are the most significant things to me and both of those are already being addressed. The home page needs to make debates front and center (as well as being a bit more simplified), and Juggle realizes this and recognizes what needs to be changed. This will be being changed.

BANNNNEERRR RAAAAAAWRRRRRRRRR
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:02:53 PM
No.

My biggest problem with it is the blatantly pixelated look. It makes it really hard for me to stay on this site for long periods of time. Are they going to do anything about that?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:03:33 PM

Whose with me?

Juggle has told Airmax they are going to fix the bugs and some of the problems with the update. My most sincere hope is that the new banners will shrink by about 50%. While there are numerous issues I have with the update which others have already sufficiently stated, the banner will be a good start.
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:04:01 PM
At 7/2/2013 8:56:07 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
No.

That's a reasonable suggestion. At the very least, I'd like to have the option of having it attached, rather than following.

Oh didn't see this. Please excuse my outburst.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:04:06 PM
At 7/2/2013 9:02:53 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
No.

My biggest problem with it is the blatantly pixelated look. It makes it really hard for me to stay on this site for long periods of time. Are they going to do anything about that?

This.

That pixel background is really annoying to stare at. It makes my eyes hurt after a while.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:05:38 PM
At 7/2/2013 9:01:25 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
The current forum graphics are a huge improvement over the old one, so leave it be. The front page can be fixed quite easily, and the introduction should be made more aggressive and avoid the word 'opinion' to settle down the purists. I don't see why a tantrum needs to be thrown. An effective boycott of DDO would have about the same chances, in my estimation, as modern day Texas successfully seceding from the Union.

I think I also need to point out that this is debate dot org, where I believe you can actually debate your opinions to settle issues rather than posting comically furious diatribes in order to pressure the people who own the site to make it how you want it to be.

I think this is fairly well said. I'm not too concerned about all the reactionary posts going on, nor the nature of this thread. But I agree that the homepage needs to be changed for the sake of prioritizing debates, and that's something that should happen.

It should be pretty obvious why Juggle decided to go with this update and design, and with that in mind I agree with them entirely. But much of that goal can be maintained while also making the site more accessible, user friendly and still focusing on debates.
Debate.org Moderator
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:05:57 PM
At 7/2/2013 9:04:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
No.

This.

That pixel background is really annoying to stare at. It makes my eyes hurt after a while.

But I love it.

They should give us the option, so we don't all have to view the same thing.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:06:50 PM
No.

This.

I've gotten several complaints about this. Some people didn't even notice it, while some say they can barely look at the screen. It's being looked into and will likely be changed to some degree.
Debate.org Moderator
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:08:36 PM
and the calmer heads prevail. A massive reactionary boycott would have been fun :(
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:08:54 PM
At 7/2/2013 9:06:50 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
No.

This.

I've gotten several complaints about this. Some people didn't even notice it, while some say they can barely look at the screen. It's being looked into and will likely be changed to some degree.

Thanks, and tell Juggle I say thanks. They are trying, and it's good that they are trying to fix some of their mistakes.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:09:04 PM
No.

This.

For me, the pixels can barely be seen. Is there a bug or something that changes their appearance? Does it change from browser to browser? I use Firefox.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 9:14:20 PM
At 7/2/2013 9:09:04 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
No.

This.

For me, the pixels can barely be seen. Is there a bug or something that changes their appearance? Does it change from browser to browser? I use Firefox.

I'm using FireFox too. I do believe this may be browser related. But I'll be looking further into it to figure out exactly why some members don't notice it and for some it's a huge issue.
Debate.org Moderator