Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Another idiot takes a troll debate seriously

KingDebater
Posts: 687
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:03:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

I want some contract dealy where if someone takes one of my debates seriously and I haven't said that it's a serious debate, I automatically win the debate. Would it be possible to get anything like that?
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:06:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
You should probably have calmed down and explained to him that it was meant to be a joke instead of making a thread about an issue that's almost entirely your fault...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
KingDebater
Posts: 687
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:11:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 11:06:56 AM, 000ike wrote:
You should probably have calmed down and explained to him that it was meant to be a joke instead of making a thread about an issue that's almost entirely your fault...
I didn't make this thread to complain about this particular instance, I made it because this has been happening a lot to me recently, and it shouldn't be.
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:22:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Set it in the round1 rules.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:24:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 11:11:50 AM, KingDebater wrote:
At 7/4/2013 11:06:56 AM, 000ike wrote:
You should probably have calmed down and explained to him that it was meant to be a joke instead of making a thread about an issue that's almost entirely your fault...
I didn't make this thread to complain about this particular instance, I made it because this has been happening a lot to me recently, and it shouldn't be.

that's silly. How is he supposed to know whether this is what you really believe or you're joking? People say and espouse some outlandish things on this site; you can't just make assumptions.

If it's been happening a lot, why don't you just say that its a troll debate in your opening?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
KingDebater
Posts: 687
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:31:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 11:22:12 AM, Ragnar wrote:
Set it in the round1 rules.

At 7/4/2013 11:24:22 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/4/2013 11:11:50 AM, KingDebater wrote:
At 7/4/2013 11:06:56 AM, 000ike wrote:
You should probably have calmed down and explained to him that it was meant to be a joke instead of making a thread about an issue that's almost entirely your fault...
I didn't make this thread to complain about this particular instance, I made it because this has been happening a lot to me recently, and it shouldn't be.

that's silly. How is he supposed to know whether this is what you really believe or you're joking? People say and espouse some outlandish things on this site; you can't just make assumptions.

If it's been happening a lot, why don't you just say that its a troll debate in your opening?

I don't say that it's a troll debate in the debate because doing that ruins the humor.

People can say stupid things, but really? Do people really make serious debates with resolutions such as 'High heels should be renamed ramp simulators' or 'washing machines are racist'?
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:36:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 11:31:29 AM, KingDebater wrote:
At 7/4/2013 11:22:12 AM, Ragnar wrote:
Set it in the round1 rules.

At 7/4/2013 11:24:22 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/4/2013 11:11:50 AM, KingDebater wrote:
At 7/4/2013 11:06:56 AM, 000ike wrote:
You should probably have calmed down and explained to him that it was meant to be a joke instead of making a thread about an issue that's almost entirely your fault...
I didn't make this thread to complain about this particular instance, I made it because this has been happening a lot to me recently, and it shouldn't be.

that's silly. How is he supposed to know whether this is what you really believe or you're joking? People say and espouse some outlandish things on this site; you can't just make assumptions.

If it's been happening a lot, why don't you just say that its a troll debate in your opening?

I don't say that it's a troll debate in the debate because doing that ruins the humor.

no it doesn't. If we're supposed to already know that it's a troll debate then why wouldn't you say so explicitly?

People can say stupid things, but really? Do people really make serious debates with resolutions such as 'High heels should be renamed ramp simulators' or 'washing machines are racist'?

Yes.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
THE_OPINIONATOR
Posts: 575
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 12:26:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 11:03:45 AM, KingDebater wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

I want some contract dealy where if someone takes one of my debates seriously and I haven't said that it's a serious debate, I automatically win the debate. Would it be possible to get anything like that?

Well I mean this is a debate site, and if you don't set it up in the rules then one will assume its serious. If you set it up in the rules, you will be assured to get an opponent that won't take a funny debate seriously.
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:35:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 11:40:36 AM, MassiveDump wrote:
Am I the only one here,

who is prepared for someone to take a humor debate seriously?

You're good enough to take a serious response then give a troll response and still win.

Anyways, saying troll debate in round 1 doesn't ruin the humor at all.
In fact, it really just prepares people for a funny read. Or a stupid one. But you get the point.
Nolite Timere
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:13:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 11:11:50 AM, KingDebater wrote:
At 7/4/2013 11:06:56 AM, 000ike wrote:
You should probably have calmed down and explained to him that it was meant to be a joke instead of making a thread about an issue that's almost entirely your fault...
I didn't make this thread to complain about this particular instance, I made it because this has been happening a lot to me recently, and it shouldn't be.

Why shouldn't it be?
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:15:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 2:13:30 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 7/4/2013 11:11:50 AM, KingDebater wrote:
At 7/4/2013 11:06:56 AM, 000ike wrote:
You should probably have calmed down and explained to him that it was meant to be a joke instead of making a thread about an issue that's almost entirely your fault...
I didn't make this thread to complain about this particular instance, I made it because this has been happening a lot to me recently, and it shouldn't be.

Why shouldn't it be?

I find it strange whenever someone says "X shouldn't have happened." The statement is always false; if whatever reasons it shouldn't have happened were valid, then it wouldn't have happened.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:16:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Suck it up. It was a stupid debate and he kicked your butt. I almost did the same thing.

Stop making these "troll" debates then. How are you supposed to argue the point in a joking way?

Seriously.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:41:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 11:03:45 AM, KingDebater wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

I want some contract dealy where if someone takes one of my debates seriously and I haven't said that it's a serious debate, I automatically win the debate. Would it be possible to get anything like that?

HOW DARE PEOPLE TAKE A DEBATE SERIOUSLY!!?!

Make the joke debate and then make the very first comment, FYI this is a joke debate. Then there is your contract. You're not gonna get a non-stated implied contract.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:44:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
King Debater, if a troll debate is taken seriously, and that causes you unpleasantness, then isn't taking a troll debate seriously the ultimate way to troll a troll debate?
My work here is, finally, done.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:46:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 2:44:19 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
King Debater, if a troll debate is taken seriously, and that causes you unpleasantness, then isn't taking a troll debate seriously the ultimate way to troll a troll debate?

Yeah he trolled the troll debate.

Look at King Debater rage. It's great.
KingDebater
Posts: 687
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 11:16:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 2:46:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/4/2013 2:44:19 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
King Debater, if a troll debate is taken seriously, and that causes you unpleasantness, then isn't taking a troll debate seriously the ultimate way to troll a troll debate?

Yeah he trolled the troll debate.

Look at King Debater rage. It's great.
They're more joke debates than troll debates. Trolling is acting in a certain way to get a certain response from people.
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 11:44:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 11:03:45 AM, KingDebater wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

I want some contract dealy where if someone takes one of my debates seriously and I haven't said that it's a serious debate, I automatically win the debate. Would it be possible to get anything like that?

What the heck happened to this town. I go away for a minute and come back. Now its like Im in the land of Oz. =)
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 11:50:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 11:03:45 AM, KingDebater wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

I want some contract dealy where if someone takes one of my debates seriously and I haven't said that it's a serious debate, I automatically win the debate. Would it be possible to get anything like that?

This is what's known as Poe's Law.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 3:45:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/4/2013 11:03:45 AM, KingDebater wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

I want some contract dealy where if someone takes one of my debates seriously and I haven't said that it's a serious debate, I automatically win the debate. Would it be possible to get anything like that?

You want the default to be that just your debates should be considered jokes, or do you want the default for all debates to be that they are jokes?

Either way, if you want a novel format and judging criteria for your debates, you need to spell it out explicitly. If you want the criteria for winning the debate to be that whoever says the most humorous things to win and that your opponent must agree to that, then you need to put that into the challenge. Just make a list of rules and append them. For example, equivocation would be a negative in an ordinary debate, but it might be a plus for a joke debate.

Troll debaters often expect opponents to find out the rules by mind reading, and when that doesn't work they complain the secret rules were not followed. Spell out what you want.