Total Posts:69|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

A chance to debate YYW

YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 1:35:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Now that my debate with Danielle is finished I'm ready to move onto something new. Some of you have sent me PM's asking for debate topic challenges, but nothing's come of it yet. So, if there's something burning on your mind that you'd like to argue with me about this is the opportunity to do so. Disclaimer: in the interest of having a productive debate, if there's a topic I don't really know much about or that I'm not interested in I'll likely not choose that topic. I also don't want to do any more story debates for a while.

Below, list some resolutions and I'll instigate a debate if I see something appealing.

Some suggestions:

I like topics that are currently big in the news.
US or international politics are fair game.
I hate economic topics.
The "big issues" are boring.
LD resolutions are probably ok (with a few exceptions), but I'll expect you to do better than the average "here's mah case, guys!" LD debater.

Any takers?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 1:37:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/6/2013 1:36:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Maaaayyybeeee

Let me think of a good topic!

Cheers
Tsar of DDO
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 1:38:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Oi, mate.

I thought I had dibs!
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 1:38:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/6/2013 1:37:09 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:36:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Maaaayyybeeee

Let me think of a good topic!

Cheers

Want to do something about the Middle East? There's a lot going on over there.
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 1:39:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/6/2013 1:38:29 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Oi, mate.

I thought I had dibs!

I can multitask. I'm still waiting on a resolution from you, though ;)
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 1:40:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/6/2013 1:38:40 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:37:09 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:36:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Maaaayyybeeee

Let me think of a good topic!

Cheers

Want to do something about the Middle East? There's a lot going on over there.

Write a resolution.
Tsar of DDO
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 1:43:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/6/2013 1:40:09 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:38:40 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:37:09 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:36:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Maaaayyybeeee

Let me think of a good topic!

Cheers

Want to do something about the Middle East? There's a lot going on over there.

Write a resolution.

The Arab Spring As a Whole Was Good for the Middle East
The Egyptian Military Was Right in Removing Morsi
Syria's Civil War Should be Left Alone
The Afghani Government Should Negotiate With the Taliban

I could go Pro or Con for any of these.
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 1:52:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/6/2013 1:43:00 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:40:09 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:38:40 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:37:09 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:36:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Maaaayyybeeee

Let me think of a good topic!

Cheers

Want to do something about the Middle East? There's a lot going on over there.

Write a resolution.

The Arab Spring As a Whole Was Good for the Middle East

Too early to tell.

The Egyptian Military Was Right in Removing Morsi

Too early to tell if it was the right call or not. I could make a compelling argument that under the circumstances a military coup -if it was that- was vindicated and excusable, but not justified.

Syria's Civil War Should be Left Alone

Ohh... now that's very interesting, but left alone as opposed to what? US intervention?

The Afghani Government Should Negotiate With the Taliban

Too complicated.

I could go Pro or Con for any of these.
Tsar of DDO
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 2:01:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/6/2013 1:52:20 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:43:00 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:40:09 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:38:40 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:37:09 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:36:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Maaaayyybeeee

Let me think of a good topic!

Cheers

Want to do something about the Middle East? There's a lot going on over there.

Write a resolution.

The Arab Spring As a Whole Was Good for the Middle East

Too early to tell.

The Egyptian Military Was Right in Removing Morsi

Too early to tell if it was the right call or not. I could make a compelling argument that under the circumstances a military coup -if it was that- was vindicated and excusable, but not justified.

Syria's Civil War Should be Left Alone

Ohh... now that's very interesting, but left alone as opposed to what? US intervention?

The Afghani Government Should Negotiate With the Taliban

Too complicated.

I could go Pro or Con for any of these.

Man picky, picky. Left alone as in left alone by all foreign intervention - allowed to run its natural course internally.
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 2:08:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/6/2013 2:01:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:52:20 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:43:00 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:40:09 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:38:40 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:37:09 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/6/2013 1:36:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Maaaayyybeeee

Let me think of a good topic!

Cheers

Want to do something about the Middle East? There's a lot going on over there.

Write a resolution.

The Arab Spring As a Whole Was Good for the Middle East

Too early to tell.

The Egyptian Military Was Right in Removing Morsi

Too early to tell if it was the right call or not. I could make a compelling argument that under the circumstances a military coup -if it was that- was vindicated and excusable, but not justified.

Syria's Civil War Should be Left Alone

Ohh... now that's very interesting, but left alone as opposed to what? US intervention?

The Afghani Government Should Negotiate With the Taliban

Too complicated.

I could go Pro or Con for any of these.

Man picky, picky. Left alone as in left alone by all foreign intervention - allowed to run its natural course internally.

Ok, you go pro on non-intervention, I'll go con.

Resolution should read:

"Foreign powers should not intervene in Syria's civil war."

Define "civil war" as the ongoing crisis that's happening now so that no idiot judge is going to fvck with semantics.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 5:26:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/6/2013 5:22:54 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Solar or Nuclear energy?

I can explain at a high school level how it works, but the hard sciences never were my thing. I just don't feel like I'm competent to speak on either beyond that which an average guy could say in a political context.

Btw. I am pro-solar energy and 100% in favor of nuclear energy -the latter of which I would like to see expanded considerably in the coming decades.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 6:13:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/6/2013 5:42:26 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 7/6/2013 5:21:29 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/6/2013 5:19:38 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I call next in line.

What would you like to debate?

I dunno. I'm sure we can work something out.

PM me.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 8:21:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I will judge two debates tonight if someone PM's me.

Requirements:

(1) No troll debates.
(2) No stupid debates.
(3) No debates about whether God exists or not.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:10:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So far only CP has taken me up. I am happy to take on a few others at the same time. I am literally bored out of my mind.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:49:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:47:41 PM, YYW wrote:
So... any takers? Literally, the only requirement I have is "don't be boring." That's it.

I don't have any particular resolution in mind... But if you think of one you'd want to debate me on I'd be game.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:54:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:49:55 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:47:41 PM, YYW wrote:
So... any takers? Literally, the only requirement I have is "don't be boring." That's it.

I don't have any particular resolution in mind... But if you think of one you'd want to debate me on I'd be game.

What kind of resolution would you be interested in debating?
Tsar of DDO
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:03:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
For YYW or anyone else, I'd go Pro on:

1. Assault weapons should not be banned in the U.S.
2. The U.S. should build and maintain a border fence
3. Fracking should be permitted in the U.S.
4. The Keystone Pipeline should be approved
5. Resource limits are unlikely to prevent the world from achieving the U.S standard of living
6. Affirmative action in the US should be abolished
7. Socialism has had a fair test and has failed
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:07:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 11:03:31 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
For YYW or anyone else, I'd go Pro on:

1. Assault weapons should not be banned in the U.S.
2. The U.S. should build and maintain a border fence
3. Fracking should be permitted in the U.S.
4. The Keystone Pipeline should be approved
5. Resource limits are unlikely to prevent the world from achieving the U.S standard of living
6. Affirmative action in the US should be abolished
7. Socialism has had a fair test and has failed

How broadly are you defining affirmative action? Are you interested in limiting it only to undergraduate admissions/academia or do you want to extend it to business, etc. as well?
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:27:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:54:46 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:49:55 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:47:41 PM, YYW wrote:
So... any takers? Literally, the only requirement I have is "don't be boring." That's it.

I don't have any particular resolution in mind... But if you think of one you'd want to debate me on I'd be game.

What kind of resolution would you be interested in debating?

No idea... pretty much anything is fair.

Doing debates related to DDO would be interesting. But I'll do anything in the realm of politics, religion or entertainment.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:32:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 11:27:47 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:54:46 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:49:55 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:47:41 PM, YYW wrote:
So... any takers? Literally, the only requirement I have is "don't be boring." That's it.

I don't have any particular resolution in mind... But if you think of one you'd want to debate me on I'd be game.

What kind of resolution would you be interested in debating?

No idea... pretty much anything is fair.

Doing debates related to DDO would be interesting. But I'll do anything in the realm of politics, religion or entertainment.

I wish I were creative enough to come up with something off the cuff. The last time I "came up" with a topic, it was more or less the result of trolling through videos on youtube of the big moments of the 2012 Republican primary.
Tsar of DDO
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 12:03:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 11:07:26 PM, YYW wrote:
How broadly are you defining affirmative action? Are you interested in limiting it only to undergraduate admissions/academia or do you want to extend it to business, etc. as well?

I don't know of government-mandated racial preferences in hiring. Is there such a thing? If so, I'd be opposed.

I was thinking of racial preferences in college admissions.