Latest DDO Stats

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:31:51 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

For any of those interested. These are the stats from 6/15/2011 - 7/6/2013, a little over 2 years worth. I am hoping to be able to expand to get some Opinions numbers but that might not be until the next stats update.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 12:36:31 PM
At 7/7/2013 11:56:58 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Ah the steady decline of the vote rate...

That is our next task to tackle.
Cobo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 1:07:38 PM
At 7/7/2013 12:36:31 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/7/2013 11:56:58 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Ah the steady decline of the vote rate...

That is our next task to tackle.

I don't think it's that big of a problem. Whenever we had to start explaining our vote then voting will go down.
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 1:10:05 PM
8000 characters + 4 rounds = I don't feel like reading that.

And to make matters worse, their actually entertaining increasing the amount of characters. Debates need to be more concise and engaging: more pictures, better formatting, more contention, more attention.

And troll debates aren't funny. I don't know who are the people that find them funny, but they don't even elicit so much as a smile from me. Those also are on the rise and crowd legitimate debates.

Also, DDO is doing nothing to show case new debates. In a perfect world, they'd get that opinion sh1t off the site and replace it with a page of hall of fame debates and allow debate ratings so the most highly rated can be advertised as inviting examples of what our community has to offer.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 3:07:48 PM
Nice work by Ore_Ele. Data is a wonderful thing.

I think the site would be better off getting rid of required RFDs. I know this would increase votebombing and counter-votebombing, but more voting increases participation in the most important part of the site, the debates. It should still be possible for an individual to elect to provide an RFD, but not mandatory.

1. I suggest a tagging system to allow members to be alerted of debates of possible interest. All the people who are eager to see yet another debate on the Cosmological Argument should be alerted when one is up for voting -- and the same for other topics and for categories like joke debates and such. One alert when voting starts, and another alert a day before it closes.

2. Make the default voting period one week rather than three days.

3. Another thing that might help somewhat is handing out gold stars or brownie points or whatever for participating. Maybe an equivalent of a "leaderboard" equivalent for voting. Maybe some additional icon added to the member's posting ID. A little judge's gavel that progresses to gold with many votes would be swell.

4. Provide an optional judging form that gives point breakdowns in more detail, so people will have an idea of what constitutes a conduct penalty; how a debater handled analysis of the resolution, arguments, and rebuttals; various aspects of the use of sources (were they reliable, directly tied to arguments, correctly linked). The form would help voters and also provide better feedback to the debaters.

I think voting is an important part of learning debating skills. Debaters benefit from practice in analyzing arguments.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 6:35:34 PM
At 7/7/2013 1:10:05 PM, 000ike wrote:

And to make matters worse, their actually entertaining increasing the amount of characters. Debates need to be more concise and engaging: more pictures, better formatting, more contention, more attention.

And troll debates aren't funny. I don't know who are the people that find them funny, but they don't even elicit so much as a smile from me. Those also are on the rise and crowd legitimate debates.

Also, DDO is doing nothing to show case new debates. In a perfect world, they'd get that opinion sh1t off the site and replace it with a page of hall of fame debates and allow debate ratings so the most highly rated can be advertised as inviting examples of what our community has to offer.

I agree in that I hate troll debates. They're really not funny in the slightest.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 9:22:55 PM
At 7/7/2013 1:10:05 PM, 000ike wrote:

they're*

I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I couldn't resist making the correction.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 9:24:12 PM
Admittedly I need to start voting more (I somewhere close to 50 votes I've cast in 2 years), but yeah, I think voting rates are definitely a community-wide issue that we need to start looking at ways to address.

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 9:26:25 PM
At 7/7/2013 9:24:12 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Admittedly I need to start voting more (I somewhere close to 50 votes I've cast in 2 years), but yeah, I think voting rates are definitely a community-wide issue that we need to start looking at ways to address.

Jeez only 50? I thought I was bad with 200.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 9:27:31 PM
At 7/7/2013 9:26:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Not even. I have cast 48 votes. *the shame*

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 9:28:36 PM
Admittedly I need to start voting more (I somewhere close to 50 votes I've cast in 2 years)
Check grammar. Not sorry, and could resist.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 9:29:39 PM

It's just too much work with little benefit. Yahoo answers has this point system that rewards people for answering questions and gives you different member statuses based on what you've achieved from the amount of people rating your answers highly and the amount of questions you've answered. We need something like this.

DDO admins aren't putting any thought into incentivizing the core of the site. They're basically mooching off our interests, keeping their fingers crossed that we'll just always be entertained reading about abortion, healthcare and SSM a million times over.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 9:31:13 PM
At 7/7/2013 9:27:31 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/7/2013 9:26:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Not even. I have cast 48 votes. *the shame*

No worries, voting can be daunting.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 9:36:15 PM
I once proposed the achievement system. People have a tendency to commit themselves to more tasks as long as there are rewards. Everyone wants and likes rewards. Just voting on debates where your vote won't have a meaningful impact, and where there's a vote count showing up on your profile, is not very engaging.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 9:51:39 PM
At 7/7/2013 9:36:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
I once proposed the achievement system. People have a tendency to commit themselves to more tasks as long as there are rewards. Everyone wants and likes rewards. Just voting on debates where your vote won't have a meaningful impact, and where there's a vote count showing up on your profile, is not very engaging.

Not bad.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:53:46 PM
For anyone interested in what was said before (and never picked up on, hopefully this round is different).

http://www.debate.org...

There were a number of "achievement" style systems. I still like the one that I proposed.

"Use thumbs up, no thumbs down, and only allow each person to post 1 thumbs up per debate (so all the [insert ideology here] cannot thumb up bomb all their like minded voters, they can only thumb up the one that they think is best). Have the leader board count total votes + total thumbs up, that will encourage both quantity and quality."

Though it could easily be weighted (say total votes = V and total thumbs up = T and points = P), with P = V + 3 * T or something (where the leader board is based on P).

I also recommended (though the idea was originally for ELO but I stated that it could be just as easily applied towards voting) having seasonal awards for the best of each season. The best debater would receive a banner saying "Top Debater, Fall 2013" and best voter would receive a banner saying "Top Voter, Spring 2014" and every 3 months we start over (tie it to either the season, or school terms).

This would not replace our lifetime numbers but go along side them.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 12:02:40 AM
At 7/7/2013 9:36:15 PM, Mirza wrote:

Everyone loves achievements.