Jump to topic:

DDO member appreciation: Roylatham

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 9:01:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'll probably do this for other members at some point in time, however I think we should all take a moment and congratulate Roylatham for his awesome conduct on this site. Roylatham is a valued member for many reasons, so I would like to take a moment to publicly appreciate him for all he has done on the site. You are all encouraged to do so as well, if you feel that Roylatham is deserving of appreciation.

http://www.debate.org...

Roylatham has been an active member on debate.org for over 4 years! Wow! Talk about dedication and commitment to a hobby he obviously loves. Roylatham is a good role model to any new debater who wants to learn cohesive debating skills and tactics. Whether you agree with his arguments or not, I think almost every can conclude that RoyLatham is a fantastic debater.

If his win streak isn't a testimony in and of itself, try debating him yourself! Roy clearly has demonstrated a tremendous ability to get his point across, and this is enforced more by his outstanding ELO score. Roy doesn't shirk from a challenge, and takes any opponent head strong despite their skill or level of experience.

His intellect is apparent in his debates, his forum posts, and his general etiquette. Roylatham is respected for being polite and convincing in his arguments. He doesn't have to swear, curse, or dis-respect someone in order to prove his point, and that alone speaks for itself.

Possibly the biggest thing I think most people can appreciate Roy for, is his expert advice and RFD in votes.

As it stands, Roy currently as over 1800+ votes. A feat that is outstanding on so many different levels. One of the biggest problem that DDO often occurs, is lack of good votes on a debate. Roy however has almost acted as the person debate.org Super Hero for voting. Often when asked for a vote, Roylatham will vote on a debate with a completely objective, un-biased opinion. Even better yet, his RFD's are intellectual, and content specific. Roy will focus on arguments made by each side, and explain why the person should win. He bases his votes around member skills level, and argumentation, rather than his own opinion of the topic. His votes, are simple, straight, and to the point, and I would hands down say he is probably one of the best voters on the site.

With that said, Thankyou Roy, for being a valued accompanied member of Debate.org. I can't speak for everyone, but on behalf of my own witnessing of your conduct on this site, I would have to say that your being here has improved the site in more ways than I could count.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 11:36:18 AM
At 7/9/2013 10:58:42 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Thanks TUF. The people on DDO are going to take over running the world real soon. I'm trying to get them ready for it.

Well your knowledge and expertise is definitely appreciated!
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 12:01:52 PM
If Roy debated the subject "Children should be raped and murdered" as Pro, he'd probably still win.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 1:05:38 PM
The people on DDO are going to take over running the world real soon. I'm trying to get them ready for it.

Sigged
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 1:56:20 PM
At 7/9/2013 9:01:31 AM, TUF wrote:
I'll probably do this for other members at some point in time, however I think we should all take a moment and congratulate Mirza for his awesome conduct on this site. Mirza is a valued member for many reasons, so I would like to take a moment to publicly appreciate him for all he has done on the site. You are all encouraged to do so as well, if you feel that Mirza is deserving of appreciation.
Thank you, I couldn't have complimented myself better!

Kidding aside, congratulations to Roy.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 1:58:47 PM
Roy sucks

#contrarian

#fugthehaters
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 2:21:08 PM
At 7/9/2013 12:01:52 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
If Roy debated the subject "Children should be raped and murdered" as Pro, he'd probably still win.

I might to, but my method of arguing would be WAAAAAAY different then what Roy would probably use
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
MysteriousPuzzle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 3:02:07 PM
At 7/9/2013 2:21:08 PM, imabench wrote:

I might to, but my method of arguing would be WAAAAAAY different then what Roy would probably use

That's nice to know but this thread is not about you.
No one cares.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 3:03:15 PM
Regrettably, Roy and I have conversed very little during my time on this site (I could say the same about a lot of members; I'm simply exceptionably bad at starting conversation). But that's not to say he's a stranger to me, because (and I'm not just saying this because this is a Roy-appreciation thread; it's wholly true) anytime I see the name "RoyLatham" in a thread post, comment, RFD, debate, etc. I know that there is no better way to spend the next moment or so than reading whatever it is he had to say. He's definitely something of an idol to me on DDO.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 3:04:30 PM
At 7/9/2013 3:02:07 PM, MysteriousPuzzle wrote:

I was about to ask if you made this new account just to make that post, but you actually made it five minutes before imabench posted. Well played, sir. Well played indeed.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 3:23:50 PM
At 7/9/2013 3:02:07 PM, MysteriousPuzzle wrote:

I was wondering when you'd come back.

Miss me? ;)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 7:17:09 PM
+1

Btw, who is mysteriouspuzzle ?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 7:17:39 PM
At 7/9/2013 7:17:09 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
+1

RM
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 7:28:28 PM
At 7/9/2013 7:17:39 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
+1

RM

How does everyone know?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 7:32:28 PM
Nothing against Roy but the sycophancy in this thread is quite annoying. Roy is a good debater who is well-versed on many current issues. He votes exclusively for the side that he agrees with on close debates, is generally cordial and presents intelligent arguments although sometimes calls all votes against him "votebombs" or continues to argue in the comments. A net benefit to the site regardless as the site is better off with him than without.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 7:34:40 PM
At 7/9/2013 7:28:28 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 7/9/2013 7:17:39 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
+1

RM

How does everyone know?

There are a couple of ways to know.

1. New user, usually has an adjective and a noun in the username (username is, of course, not a definitive way of knowing).

2. Immediately accepts as many debates as he can, and usually only posts one line acceptances.

3. Immediately goes to the forums, which is uncommon behavior for new users.

4. Finds a way to attack imabench.

5. In some cases, he sends out messages to people saying who he is.

I'm sure there are better ways to tell, but those are the ones I've noticed.

Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 12:05:40 AM
At 7/9/2013 7:32:28 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Nothing against Roy but the sycophancy in this thread is quite annoying. Roy is a good debater who is well-versed on many current issues. He votes exclusively for the side that he agrees with on close debates, is generally cordial and presents intelligent arguments although sometimes calls all votes against him "votebombs" or continues to argue in the comments. A net benefit to the site regardless as the site is better off with him than without.

This. Roy's voting habits are a pain and generally go unnoticed.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 2:43:23 AM
At 7/10/2013 12:05:40 AM, Noumena wrote:

Of all the places to bring up quarrels one has about Roy, to do so in a Roy-appreciation thread is just a dick move. That's like telling your kid she was a mistake on her birthday.
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 4:01:17 AM
At 7/10/2013 2:43:23 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Of all the places to bring up quarrels one has about Roy, to do so in a Roy-appreciation thread is just a dick move. That's like telling your kid she was a mistake on her birthday.

+1

heck I'm a Lib, and even I note that Roy is a very well respected member on here. Agree with him or not, I normally find he is quite fair in voting! Besides, everyone has a bias, you can never completely escape it, Roy does a far better job of being fair than most
Thank you for voting!
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 9:15:33 AM

Circle jerk thread is that way --->
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 9:22:48 AM

but if he started his own thread to list Roy's negatives, you'd call that a dick move as well. So long as we're going to put someone in the spotlight like that let's make the coverage balanced.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 9:42:36 AM
Thanks TUF. The people on DDO are going to take over running the world real soon. I'm trying to get them ready for it.

Youre okay. I guess. =()
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 12:14:55 PM
"He votes exclusively for the side that he agrees with on close debates, is generally cordial and presents intelligent arguments although sometimes calls all votes against him "votebombs" or continues to argue in the comments."

So, would you like to defend that personal attack in a debate?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 12:24:46 PM
At 7/10/2013 9:22:48 AM, 000ike wrote:
but if he started his own thread to list Roy's negatives, you'd call that a dick move as well. So long as we're going to put someone in the spotlight like that let's make the coverage balanced.

I don't think praise threads are a particularly good idea, but they are harmless. Maybe some good behavior is encouraged. However, personal attacks whether by individual posts or a whole thread are always a bad idea. Personal insults are a violation of site rules, it's childish, and they draw attention away from debating with facts and logic. Just debate.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 12:37:37 PM
At 7/10/2013 12:24:46 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 7/10/2013 9:22:48 AM, 000ike wrote:

I don't think praise threads are a particularly good idea, but they are harmless. Maybe some good behavior is encouraged. However, personal attacks whether by individual posts or a whole thread are always a bad idea. Personal insults are a violation of site rules, it's childish, and they draw attention away from debating with facts and logic. Just debate.

How is calling out yer voting deficiencies a personal insult?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 2:38:03 PM
I don't know about these accusations against Roy. Nor do I care about them. Maybe the OP was overly objective, and I don't know every aspect of a person, but no one is perfect. I couldn't make an appreciation thread about anyone on here without someone being able to throw some negatives their way. But the point of this thread was to focus on what they have done, and what I have noticed being beneficial to the site, not to pick up on every negative detail we can find to derail his entire character.

F-16, I don't understand how you feel doing that was at all relevant to this thread, as this was supposed to focus on what he has done for the site.