Voting on official tournaments

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 9:56:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hey,

In the past, voting on tournaments has been a big issue. Partly it's the voting culture, partly the site, and partly because it's hard to bring things to people's attention. This is something that I hope to turn around. Here's my plan.

Pending review by Juggle, maybe a few bug fixes, and a one-day closed beta, up until Juggle themselves introduce equivalent or better features (I hope they do as any external tool will inherently have many limitations), I've created a tool that will hopefully help voting along. It does two things:
- shows you which debates need votes the most (which is even better than the old interface which only showed recent debates in the voting period), and
- allows you to rate the votes of other members (with a voting leaderboard and a scale from "vote bomb" to "constructive" complete with explanations)

My plan is to use this interface to create a tournament-specific version, so the best voters in tournaments get some recognition. Tournament debates that need more votes would be highlighted to users.

This would all, of course, be absolutely voluntary. If you would like to be a part of the beta, PM me.

Based on these results and availability of voters, the finals would be jury-based, similar to how there is a "judge's break" at RL tournaments. As well as this dynamic version, I'll also regularly post details of what needs more votes etc on the forums. The top voters get awarded just like the top debaters.

I will also push for more debaters to become voters. This helps enormously.

If you have other suggestions, please let me know.

Regards,
Larz
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 10:07:15 PM
I think that a good thing to add would be some sort of notification about debates that you might be interested in being in the voting period. If you tend to vote on debates following certain subjects, you would get notified when those pop up, or if you claim to be interested in certain topics, you would get notified when they are in the voting period, etc.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 10:07:45 PM
I think this mechanism you've made sounds fantastic.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 10:22:36 PM
At 7/9/2013 10:07:15 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I think that a good thing to add would be some sort of notification about debates that you might be interested in being in the voting period. If you tend to vote on debates following certain subjects, you would get notified when those pop up, or if you claim to be interested in certain topics, you would get notified when they are in the voting period, etc.

That wouldn't actually be impossible but it's quite a bit of work. You'd have to set it up in a bit of a roundabout way to prevent spamming Juggle's servers, and you'd have to make sure you're complying with all the relevant anti-spam laws. I'll look into it, but make sure you've tried to talk to Juggle about it first.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 10:37:11 PM
At 7/9/2013 10:22:36 PM, larztheloser wrote:
At 7/9/2013 10:07:15 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

That wouldn't actually be impossible but it's quite a bit of work. You'd have to set it up in a bit of a roundabout way to prevent spamming Juggle's servers, and you'd have to make sure you're complying with all the relevant anti-spam laws. I'll look into it, but make sure you've tried to talk to Juggle about it first.

I'm pretty sure Roy has made a similar suggestion multiple times. I just think that having debates that would serve possible interest be brought to people's attention would increase voting rates.