Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

A (Debate) Pet Peeve

ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 12:27:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I cannot stand, literally cannot stand, when a debate resolution is in the form of a question. THAT'S NOT HOW RESOLUTIONS WORK!

It's been happening more and more lately and you know why? DO YOU KNOW WHY?

Because of the damn Opinion section making everyone think everything should be in the form of a question.

You cannot be Pro "Can we believe in the bible?".

It's really starting to irk me. I don't know if these people are just ignorant on resolution etiquette or if they're stupid or what but seriously people. Come on.

/rant

Continue about your lives.
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 12:47:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/11/2013 12:27:32 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I cannot stand, literally cannot stand, when a debate resolution is in the form of a question. THAT'S NOT HOW RESOLUTIONS WORK!

It's been happening more and more lately and you know why? DO YOU KNOW WHY?

Because of the damn Opinion section making everyone think everything should be in the form of a question.

You cannot be Pro "Can we believe in the bible?".

It's really starting to irk me. I don't know if these people are just ignorant on resolution etiquette or if they're stupid or what but seriously people. Come on.

/rant

Continue about your lives.

lol

I agree.

I also hate the opinion section.

That said, carry on.

Cheers.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.

.

.
(Notice the shape that the text forms. That's how I feel about question debates.)
imabench
Posts: 21,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 4:50:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
(Note to self, make all future debates in the form of questions just to irk CP)

Im just kidding, it annoys me too slightly but there are plenty worse things on here that annoy me more then debates with questions as their resolutions, such as:

1) Partisan voting
2) DDO deleting your argument 95% of the way through it
3) The amount of Reagan worship on the site
4) People who take religion way too seriously
5) People who are a**hats
6) People who make more troll debates then legit debates
7) People who are known primarily for trolling
8) People who troll serious debates
9) Attention whores
10) Irony
11) Lists
12) Xbox One
13) People who get off topic halfway through their posts
14) Birds
15) Cars that get less then 15 mpg
16) Somalia in general
17) Ugly cats
18) B*tches being b*tches
19) Whatever GWL is doing right now
20) Bench's
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 6:15:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/11/2013 12:27:32 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I cannot stand, literally cannot stand, when a debate resolution is in the form of a question. THAT'S NOT HOW RESOLUTIONS WORK!

It's been happening more and more lately and you know why? DO YOU KNOW WHY?

Because of the damn Opinion section making everyone think everything should be in the form of a question.

You cannot be Pro "Can we believe in the bible?".

It's really starting to irk me. I don't know if these people are just ignorant on resolution etiquette or if they're stupid or what but seriously people. Come on.

/rant

Continue about your lives.

I agree, but this predates the opinion section.
Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 2:15:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/11/2013 4:50:34 AM, imabench wrote:
(Note to self, make all future debates in the form of questions just to irk CP)

Im just kidding, it annoys me too slightly but there are plenty worse things on here that annoy me more then debates with questions as their resolutions, such as:

1) Partisan voting
2) DDO deleting your argument 95% of the way through it
3) The amount of Reagan worship on the site
4) People who take religion way too seriously
5) People who are a**hats
6) People who make more troll debates then legit debates
7) People who are known primarily for trolling
8) People who troll serious debates
9) Attention whores
10) Irony
11) Lists
12) Xbox One
13) People who get off topic halfway through their posts
14) Birds
15) Cars that get less then 15 mpg
16) Somalia in general
17) Ugly cats
18) B*tches being b*tches
19) Whatever GWL is doing right now
20) Bench's

You forgot some

21) Lists
22) Counting
23) Contradictions
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 2:54:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/11/2013 6:15:06 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 7/11/2013 12:27:32 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I cannot stand, literally cannot stand, when a debate resolution is in the form of a question. THAT'S NOT HOW RESOLUTIONS WORK!

It's been happening more and more lately and you know why? DO YOU KNOW WHY?

Because of the damn Opinion section making everyone think everything should be in the form of a question.

You cannot be Pro "Can we believe in the bible?".

It's really starting to irk me. I don't know if these people are just ignorant on resolution etiquette or if they're stupid or what but seriously people. Come on.

/rant

Continue about your lives.

I agree, but this predates the opinion section.

But it's being helped along and encouraged by the opinion section.
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 5:38:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/11/2013 4:50:34 AM, imabench wrote:
(Note to self, make all future debates in the form of questions just to irk CP)

Im just kidding, it annoys me too slightly but there are plenty worse things on here that annoy me more then debates with questions as their resolutions, such as:

1) Partisan voting
2) DDO deleting your argument 95% of the way through it
3) The amount of Reagan worship on the site
4) People who take religion way too seriously
5) People who are a**hats
6) People who make more troll debates then legit debates
7) People who are known primarily for trolling
8) People who troll serious debates
9) Attention whores
10) Irony
11) Lists
12) Xbox One
13) People who get off topic halfway through their posts
14) Birds
15) Cars that get less then 15 mpg
16) Somalia in general
17) Ugly cats
18) B*tches being b*tches
19) Whatever GWL is doing right now
20) Bench's

21) Improper use of apostrophes.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 7:53:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/11/2013 2:54:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/11/2013 6:15:06 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 7/11/2013 12:27:32 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I cannot stand, literally cannot stand, when a debate resolution is in the form of a question. THAT'S NOT HOW RESOLUTIONS WORK!

It's been happening more and more lately and you know why? DO YOU KNOW WHY?

Because of the damn Opinion section making everyone think everything should be in the form of a question.

You cannot be Pro "Can we believe in the bible?".

It's really starting to irk me. I don't know if these people are just ignorant on resolution etiquette or if they're stupid or what but seriously people. Come on.

/rant

Continue about your lives.

I agree, but this predates the opinion section.

But it's being helped along and encouraged by the opinion section.

I don't see that it is any more prevalent than before. A bigger pet peeve is when you see a resolution you'd love to argue against, only to see that the instigator is Con.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 4:16:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/12/2013 7:53:28 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 7/11/2013 2:54:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/11/2013 6:15:06 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 7/11/2013 12:27:32 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I cannot stand, literally cannot stand, when a debate resolution is in the form of a question. THAT'S NOT HOW RESOLUTIONS WORK!

It's been happening more and more lately and you know why? DO YOU KNOW WHY?

Because of the damn Opinion section making everyone think everything should be in the form of a question.

You cannot be Pro "Can we believe in the bible?".

It's really starting to irk me. I don't know if these people are just ignorant on resolution etiquette or if they're stupid or what but seriously people. Come on.

/rant

Continue about your lives.

I agree, but this predates the opinion section.

But it's being helped along and encouraged by the opinion section.

I don't see that it is any more prevalent than before. A bigger pet peeve is when you see a resolution you'd love to argue against, only to see that the instigator is Con.

That is also quite annoying
Nidhogg
Posts: 503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 4:25:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/11/2013 4:50:34 AM, imabench wrote:
(Note to self, make all future debates in the form of questions just to irk CP)

Im just kidding, it annoys me too slightly but there are plenty worse things on here that annoy me more then debates with questions as their resolutions, such as:

1) Partisan voting
2) DDO deleting your argument 95% of the way through it
3) The amount of Reagan worship on the site
4) People who take religion way too seriously
5) People who are a**hats
6) People who make more troll debates then legit debates
7) People who are known primarily for trolling
8) People who troll serious debates
9) Attention whores
10) Irony
11) Lists
12) Xbox One
13) People who get off topic halfway through their posts
14) Birds
15) Cars that get less then 15 mpg
16) Somalia in general
17) Ugly cats
18) B*tches being b*tches
19) Whatever GWL is doing right now
20) Bench's

21) When good debaters take on trolls and claim that they've proved a point by beating them
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago