Jump to topic:

(Official) DDO Prepared Championship matchups

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 10:04:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Randomly chosen by a computer program. The overhang was one, so one debater had to do four debates, and orangemayhem was the one randomly chosen, but while that means orangemayhem might need to do a little extra work, they also get the benefit of being able to win an extra point. Remember you have ONE WEEK to agree on a resolution with your opponent. You must PM me the resolution.

Good luck!

Instigator VS Challenger

DetectableNinja vs Citrakayah
JustinAMoffatt vs DetectableNinja
lannan13 vs tvellalott
lannan13 vs Noumena
GOP vs Stephen_Hawkins
Noumena vs orangemayhem
Stephen_Hawkins vs JustinAMoffatt
Citrakayah vs GOP
JustinAMoffatt vs Citrakayah
orangemayhem vs tvellalott
tvellalott vs Noumena
Stephen_Hawkins vs lannan13
DetectableNinja vs GOP
orangemayhem vs JustinAMoffatt
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 10:09:26 AM
I've got to do 3 and they're all hard opponents.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 10:11:51 AM
Remember that I'm gone to MIT Monty Tech all next week and won't be back till the 21st.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 10:13:48 AM
At 7/12/2013 10:11:51 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Remember that I'm gone to MIT Monty Tech all next week and won't be back till the 21st.

No problem, tourney doesn't start until after that. Have fun!
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 10:16:42 AM
At 7/12/2013 10:09:26 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Hopefully everyone except orangemayhem has 3, unless I've done a calculation wrong somewhere. I have to admit your pool is pretty tough, hopefully you can find some topics you feel comfortable about doing.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 10:17:26 AM
At 7/12/2013 10:16:42 AM, larztheloser wrote:
At 7/12/2013 10:09:26 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Hopefully everyone except orangemayhem has 3, unless I've done a calculation wrong somewhere. I have to admit your pool is pretty tough, hopefully you can find some topics you feel comfortable about doing.

Hope so.

orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 12:54:23 PM
At 7/12/2013 10:04:12 AM, larztheloser wrote:
Randomly chosen by a computer program. The overhang was one, so one debater had to do four debates, and orangemayhem was the one randomly chosen, but while that means orangemayhem might need to do a little extra work, they also get the benefit of being able to win an extra point. Remember you have ONE WEEK to agree on a resolution with your opponent. You must PM me the resolution.

Good luck!

Instigator VS Challenger

DetectableNinja vs Citrakayah
JustinAMoffatt vs DetectableNinja
lannan13 vs tvellalott
lannan13 vs Noumena
GOP vs Stephen_Hawkins
Noumena vs orangemayhem
Stephen_Hawkins vs JustinAMoffatt
Citrakayah vs GOP
JustinAMoffatt vs Citrakayah
orangemayhem vs tvellalott
tvellalott vs Noumena
Stephen_Hawkins vs lannan13
DetectableNinja vs GOP
orangemayhem vs JustinAMoffatt

OK, I could be being really stupid here... but I can only see three debates for me, not four? I'm debating JustinAMoffatt, tvellalott and Noumena, but I can't see the fourth one you gave me.
I'm back (ish).
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 12:58:59 PM
At 7/12/2013 12:54:23 PM, orangemayhem wrote:
OK, I could be being really stupid here... but I can only see three debates for me, not four? I'm debating JustinAMoffatt, tvellalott and Noumena, but I can't see the fourth one you gave me.

Sorry, you're right, I'm the one being really stupid here!

JustinAMoffatt is the one doing four debates, not you. Sorry, I must have miscounted. The draw should still be accurate.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 1:13:27 PM
How were opponents chosen? Also, how is elimination covered? i.e., is it one loss and yer out?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 1:14:15 PM
At 7/12/2013 1:13:27 PM, Noumena wrote:
How were opponents chosen? Also, how is elimination covered? i.e., is it one loss and yer out?
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 1:17:58 PM
At 7/12/2013 1:13:27 PM, Noumena wrote:

It's basically random given a couple of constraints, such as that each debater must be the instigator about half the time etc.

There's only one round, in which all debaters do three (or in one case four) debates. Losing debates does not guarantee losing the tournament. Debaters are ranked first by wins, then by marginal points, then by relative ELO to opponents (lower is better - this is the only detail that has changed) and then by coin toss. All debaters who rank well enough to make semi-finals will go on.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 1:27:06 PM
At 7/12/2013 1:20:23 PM, larztheloser wrote:
Also, for reference, most of the details of the tournament haven't changed from this thread: http://www.debate.org...

Oh okay then. I also think it might be optimal to recruit a few jury voters. Not for the purpose of voting on every debate but simply to vote where and when they can.

Also, is it correct that we can start any time between July 19th and August 2nd?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
JustinAMoffatt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 4:39:33 PM
Four people? Heck yeah! :D
Due to my lack of any life whatsoever, and my impossible amount of enjoyment I derive from debate, this is ideal for me indeed. ;)
Also, yes. I'd like to know how the whole "points" thing works, too.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 8:12:55 PM
Quick update: I am currently discussing possible resolutions with GOP and Justin. I'm waiting on Cit to accept my friend request to send a message about it.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 11:02:23 PM
At 7/12/2013 1:27:06 PM, Noumena wrote:

Oh okay then. I also think it might be optimal to recruit a few jury voters. Not for the purpose of voting on every debate but simply to vote where and when they can.

Closer to the time I'll probably recruit some general voters. As you might be aware though there are some really big things in the works with voting.
JustinAMoffatt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 11:13:20 PM
Sorry. I was an idiot and didn't read your earlier response to the point system :P
Very cool. :)
And... might I ask what kind of "big things" you're referring to with voting?
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 11:22:17 PM
At 7/12/2013 11:13:20 PM, JustinAMoffatt wrote:
And... might I ask what kind of "big things" you're referring to with voting?

You might. This tournament is going to have more voting initiatives than any previous one, including this one that I'm very excited about: http://www.debate.org...

And a few other, less drastic but still important things. Finalised details coming soon.
JustinAMoffatt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 11:40:33 PM
You might. This tournament is going to have more voting initiatives than any previous one, including this one that I'm very excited about: http://www.debate.org...

And a few other, less drastic but still important things. Finalised details coming soon.

Very cool. Very cool! I'm interested in knowing how it all plays out. :) you seem to have a lot of innovative ideas for the site Larz. Do DDO/Juggle listen to your opinions often?
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 11:57:12 PM
At 7/12/2013 11:40:33 PM, JustinAMoffatt wrote:

Very cool. Very cool! I'm interested in knowing how it all plays out. :) you seem to have a lot of innovative ideas for the site Larz. Do DDO/Juggle listen to your opinions often?

I think the pattern is that they listen to my opinions when it suits them, but I still try to do what I can. You wouldn't believe the fight Airmax and I got into over that "very cool" idea.
JustinAMoffatt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 7:19:51 AM
You wouldn't believe the fight Airmax and I got into over that "very cool" idea.

Why did you guys get into a fight over it? What was there to fight about?
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 7:40:54 AM
At 7/13/2013 7:19:51 AM, JustinAMoffatt wrote:

Why did you guys get into a fight over it? What was there to fight about?

As I understood it, basically he didn't like me developing things he considered Juggle would immediately take down, while I was trying to adopt a more "Juggle can speak for themselves" approach. That's the best I can say because I don't think I ever entirely understood the objection.
JustinAMoffatt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 11:27:39 AM
As I understood it, basically he didn't like me developing things he considered Juggle would immediately take down, while I was trying to adopt a more "Juggle can speak for themselves" approach. That's the best I can say because I don't think I ever entirely understood the objection.

Interesting... Yeah. There's no guarantee of success anyways. You might as well try. I just hope the site ends up realizing that they need to listen to the users, especially creative ones like yourself, in order to adapt to the needs/wants of their community.

So is voting the only thing you've worked on? Or have you tried to create things for other parts of debating as well?
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 7:23:06 PM
This looks like it might result in a voting bottleneck if everything actually starts on time...

Please PM to vote on any of the debates that need more ballots.

I rarely vote on random debates but I try to respond when specifically asked. I would like to see tournaments become a bigger part of DDO, so I have an interest in keeping the votes high in tournaments (an issue Roy has brought up a bunch).
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 2:22:20 AM
I have to opt out of this tournament. It wouldn't be fair to the other competitors to say I can commit to it and then forfeit most, if not all of my debates. I am increasingly losing interest in the site and I just don't care enough to put any effort into this. It shouldn't be too difficult to find someone to simply replace in me in my match ups.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 12:21:36 PM
So who's replacin' TV?