Debate.org_Official
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:19:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
[In response to this thread regarding team debates: http://www.debate.org...]

Hello, everyone!

Juggle is aware that team debates are something several veteran members and seasoned debaters are interested in. However, there are a few reservations we have, the main one being how many people would actually use the feature. As Mirza pointed out, "New members will likely not team up with each other, so that leaves us with mostly the active ones doing team debates -- which in return means less voting, which is already an issue."

In our eyes, it seems more logical to first implement changes that will help get more people voting on debates. Then, once we have the desired amount of voting activity, we can move on to building out more avenues for debate. After all, who wants to spend time debating if no one is going to vote on their debate? Of course, however, we are always open to hearing your ideas on this topic.

Finally, it would be useful for us to have a better idea of exactly how many members would use team debates if it were to be implemented. Therefore, we have created an Opinion poll on the subject. Please be sure to submit your response: http://www.debate.org...

As always, thank you very much for your feedback, passion, and effort. We are aware that certain members want team debates; it is merely a matter of if and when it makes sense to build out that feature or focus on others first.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to reach out to us here or via PM.

Thanks!
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:23:56 PM
Responded!
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:34:14 PM
I'm trying to respond, but it keeps saying that I need to verify my email and to click here. When I click there then it says that I was done, so I went to the opinions and it keeps saying the same thing.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Debate.org_Official
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:38:35 PM
At 7/16/2013 1:34:14 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I'm trying to respond, but it keeps saying that I need to verify my email and to click here. When I click there then it says that I was done, so I went to the opinions and it keeps saying the same thing.

Thanks, lannan. We will try to pinpoint the cause of this issue. Is anyone else having this problem?
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:41:22 PM
At 7/16/2013 1:38:35 PM, Debate.org_Official wrote:

Thanks, lannan. We will try to pinpoint the cause of this issue. Is anyone else having this problem?

I am
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:47:05 PM
I would of course love to use team debates. Honestly, I don't think the voting issue will take too long. My suggestion there is that Juggle just asks Larztheloser if they can internalize the voting system he made. He has already done the majority of the legwork, it is a really good system, and I'm sure that he'd be willing to give it to Juggle and even help out with any work remaining. He only wants to improve DDO. If you did that, it could be pretty quick and cheap, and team debates could get started right away :)
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:50:35 PM
At 7/16/2013 1:47:05 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I would of course love to use team debates. Honestly, I don't think the voting issue will take too long. My suggestion there is that Juggle just asks Larztheloser if they can internalize the voting system he made. He has already done the majority of the legwork, it is a really good system, and I'm sure that he'd be willing to give it to Juggle and even help out with any work remaining. He only wants to improve DDO. If you did that, it could be pretty quick and cheap, and team debates could get started right away :)

That being said, personally I would prioritize an app over all others. When DDO is convenient to use no matter where you are and there is some sort of offline debate saving function, more people will vote simply because its more convenient to vote.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:50:57 PM

I had it this morning as I tried to make an opinion on the gay rights in indiana opinion.It didn't do it just now though.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:53:38 PM

This x 100.

Also like I said in the opinion I made, we the members are trying to focus on increasing voting as it is, with projects like VOTW. Also I think Larz's idea is revolutionary in terms of getting recognition, thus encouraging more voting.

All the work has been done for you in this category, and is continued to be worked on. Plus I can't really see much you can do to improve voting, that isn't already being tried.

Though I would love to hear your ideas, Juggle.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:54:25 PM
At 7/16/2013 1:50:35 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

That being said, personally I would prioritize an app over all others. When DDO is convenient to use no matter where you are and there is some sort of offline debate saving function, more people will vote simply because its more convenient to vote.

Seriously not trying to bandwagon everything he says, but I agree with this.

Classic Robert is a smart man. :)
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 3:03:06 PM

Thanks for fixin' the problem, I have submitted my response.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 4:32:34 PM
At 7/16/2013 3:03:06 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Thanks for fixin' the problem, I have submitted my response.

I still have the problem.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 7:34:40 PM
It is something that I don't care about too much. I'll admit that if it was available, I might do the occasional, just to mix things up and keep them fresh, but it wouldn't be something that I'd jump on.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 7:35:46 PM
At 7/16/2013 7:34:40 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It is something that I don't care about too much. I'll admit that if it was available, I might do the occasional, just to mix things up and keep them fresh, but it wouldn't be something that I'd jump on.

BTW, lol at making the poll go through the opinions.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:12:00 PM
I was thinking about this idea earlier today (of all the years, it's the day I come up with an idea that you guys come up with the same thing lol.)

I was thinking that instead of making a separate category on the top Toolbar (I'm not talking about a new category on the Debates Menu), you keep them together in the Debate Menu and add a little symbol for Normal and Team debates (and any other type of debate) on the bottom-right corner of each debate that shows up.

This way all the Debates are still in the Debate hall and not separated, and the Toolbar and Menu doesn't get too cluttered with options if you decide on newer features and more Debate types.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:12:58 PM
At 7/16/2013 8:12:00 PM, donald.keller wrote:
I was thinking about this idea earlier today (of all the years, it's the day I come up with an idea that you guys come up with the same thing lol.)

I was thinking that instead of making a separate category on the top Toolbar (I'm not talking about a new category on the Debates Menu), you keep them together in the Debate Menu and add a little symbol for Normal and Team debates (and any other type of debate) on the bottom-right corner of each debate that shows up.

This way all the Debates are still in the Debate hall and not separated, and the Toolbar and Menu doesn't get too cluttered with options if you decide on newer features and more Debate types.

This is actually something that has been proposed as of at least 2 years ago, if not longer.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:58:31 PM
At 7/16/2013 8:12:58 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:12:00 PM, donald.keller wrote:

This is actually something that has been proposed as of at least 2 years ago, if not longer.

Thank god. I thought my luck was just that bad lol.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:13:56 PM
I refuse to participate in the opinions section, but I am strongly in favor of team debates.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:43:42 PM
You could say that team-debating won't be used as much by new members. But you could also draw the conclusion that team-debates will help keep new members on the site by increasing the social role they play on the site.

I'm in favor of requiring a certain number of votes before a person can start a new debate. This increases voting and also decreases spam debates. Combined with an up/down vote button on each vote, to set people on a voting leader-board to increase quality.

Also, I'd like to suggest again that team-debate wins/loses should be counted separately from other debates.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:45:48 PM
At 7/16/2013 9:13:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
I refuse to participate in the opinions section, but I am strongly in favor of team debates.

Why is that?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:50:57 PM
At 7/16/2013 9:45:48 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Why is that?

notifications from people leaving opinions is massive
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:53:12 PM
At 7/16/2013 9:50:57 PM, imabench wrote:
At 7/16/2013 9:45:48 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Why is that?

notifications from people leaving opinions is massive

http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 3:42:34 AM
Question: If this yes side of this opinion topic really gets a considerable number of votes as compared to the no side, will something actually be done about team debates?

Also remember, you have coders, and designers who are willing to not only help with this, but willing to donate money too.

If there really isn't a negative to doing this other than prioritization, at the very least, couldn't you just have members construct the coding for you?
Debate.org_Official
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 3:26:42 PM
Thank you for the feedback so far. We have gotten 18 votes to date"19 if we count imabench"s troll answer ;). We would definitely love to get a more representative sample in terms of quantity of votes. If you would like to spread the word to other members to contribute their opinion on the topic (http://www.debate.org...), we would definitely appreciate it.

TUF, we will try to address your questions and comments specifically.
To start, it is important for us to understand how much a larger feature such as Team Debates would be used. We understand that there are a number of members who want this feature, but what we do not know is if we are talking 20 members, 200 or 2,000? That is why we created the Opinion question, so we could use that as a mechanism to gauge interest of the entire community in a more structured format than the forums. At the end of the day, we want to spend time developing features that will get used consistently by a large contingent of our member base. It is very likely that Team Debates has a big enough following to warrant a slot in our development cycle. We are eager to see more people respond to the Opinion topic to help us quantify that demand.

Speaking of development, while we do appreciate the offers of help from the community with development and design, it is simply not a feasible route for us to take to create Team Debates. In order to create a feature that is truly integrated with the site, you would need to have development/design access to the Debate.org codebase, which is not something we will open up to members.

Also, we appreciate the offer for donations; however, we have no plans to accept donations from members for feature development or any other purpose.

Our goal is to continuously grow Debate.org into an active community of people who like to debate, converse, and voice their opinions in a variety of ways. In doing that there are things we need to do to drive the business forward, in terms member acquisition, participation and reach, that many members in the community may not agree with or understand. We are also very cognizant of the importance of balancing those things with features that come directly from member feedback and enhance the experience of our existing sections i.e., debates, forums, opinions, etc. Our promise to you is that we will always work to keep that balance and make sure that the community has input in the development of the site.

With that being said, if Team Debates gets the support from a sizable contingent of the community, we will work it into our development cycle. We don"t have an exact timeframe as to when, but if the support is there, we will scope it out and roll it into a future release.

One of the ways that you could help is to answer and/or get consensus on some of the questions we have around Team Debates:

"How would you envision the win/loss/tie stats factoring into a member"s profile? Would they be separate from the existing debate ranking/leaderboard structure? Would there be team rankings?

"Would the teams be required to have the same # of members or could a team of 2 go against a team of 4?

"Would you prefer it to be a "type" of debate, within the current Debates section, or an entirely separate section of the site?

"Would voting for team debates need to change from its current format, e.g. point system, RFDs, etc?

As always, thank you all for your continued help and feedback!
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 4:48:07 PM
@ DDO Official

Are you going to make a distinction between 'Would not use team debate' and 'Would not use team debate, but think it's a good idea'?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 12:08:43 PM
@ juggle. I am sorry I missed your last post. I will try to respond to all of these when I get home.

So far, I think making this an extra category of debate with its own leader board would be best.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 12:16:08 PM
At 7/21/2013 12:08:43 PM, TUF wrote:
@ juggle. I am sorry I missed your last post. I will try to respond to all of these when I get home.

So far, I think making this an extra category of debate with its own leader board would be best.

I don't think that it needs to be it's own category, but it just needs options in the start a debate area to accommodate. Personally, I'd prefer for it to all be on the same leader board, with the same sort of implications on your ELO, etc. I understand that there is the issue of a team-mate being crappy, but I think this could be resolved in a couple of ways. First, time limit between posts would need to be extended slightly. Then, before one user submits it, it is shown to the teammates to be reviewed. Only after it is reviewed can it be posted. If the teammate neglects to review it, it can just be posted without the teammates approval. If one team member ends up forfeiting a round, the other team members will have a shortened amount of time to post the argument after the initial time limit is up, with one day being the minimum amount of time for a teammate to post after a forfeit.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 1:47:09 PM
At 7/17/2013 3:26:42 PM, Debate.org_Official wrote:
TUF, we will try to address your questions and comments specifically.

Thankyou for responding!

To start, it is important for us to understand how much a larger feature such as Team Debates would be used. We understand that there are a number of members who want this feature, but what we do not know is if we are talking 20 members, 200 or 2,000? That is why we created the Opinion question, so we could use that as a mechanism to gauge interest of the entire community in a more structured format than the forums.

What kind of numbers are we talking about here that you would need in order for a change to ever occur?

Speaking of development, while we do appreciate the offers of help from the community with development and design, it is simply not a feasible route for us to take to create Team Debates. In order to create a feature that is truly integrated with the site, you would need to have development/design access to the Debate.org codebase, which is not something we will open up to members.

Also, we appreciate the offer for donations; however, we have no plans to accept donations from members for feature development or any other purpose.

I figured this would be the answer, however, my offer to help in any way stands. I mainly just wanted to get your attention with that post and see if anything could be done about this growing anticipation for a site update from the members.

One of the ways that you could help is to answer and/or get consensus on some of the questions we have around Team Debates:

"How would you envision the win/loss/tie stats factoring into a member"s profile? Would they be separate from the existing debate ranking/leaderboard structure? Would there be team rankings?

I personally would vote that the team deabtes would be put into a separate category; I think there is a certain different skill that goes into formulating arguments that can co-exist with that of a team mate. Individually you may be a fantastic debater, but maybe your meant to be more of a lone wolf, and will completely contradict arguments that your team mate makes. If this occurs it shows only that you have skill as a single debater and not as a team member, and maybe you will lose the debate. So I think a new category would work better. I understand that it would probably be difficult to factor numbers as such into a seperate leaderboard; I wouldbe okay if you were able to conjunction debates into a person normal ranking. It would be easier to implement them into the current system, as all you would have to do is count the win or the loss for both people. If you want you can make ELO bumps and decreases from wins and losses considerably less than normal debates.

"Would the teams be required to have the same # of members or could a team of 2 go against a team of 4?

I envisioned this as a 2V2 optioned theme, so as to there being a little less craziness. However, if there is a way to make multiple people involved in the debate, maybe we should make it so each person gets one arguments. That way a 3V3 person debate would have six rounds of completely independent argumentation. But I would say that as long as there was an equal premise for argumentation it wouldn't matter.If 2 people both got to make two arguments each, against four people who only got to make 1 each, I think it would be fair.

"Would you prefer it to be a "type" of debate, within the current Debates section, or an entirely separate section of the site?

Either one. It would probably be easier if it was a type of debate so you guys don't have to have another drop box; But I would be happy to see it under either option.

"Would voting for team debates need to change from its current format, e.g. point system, RFDs, etc?

It could probably work under the current format, though a re-make of the voting would probably be a good idea.

For example:

Unity of Arguments: 1 Pt

(Did both debaters flow well with each other? Did their arguments make sense with the others, such that it formed an elaborate attack against the opponent? Which team worked better together?)

I think adding this in as an addition to the normal voting categories would be a good idea. Maybe you can make sources only worth 1 pt, so it evens it out to being seven points, if you want to keep it that way.

As always, thank you all for your continued help and feedback!

(: Thanks for responding and hearing us!