Getting views on a debate

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:02:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/16/2013 8:57:27 PM, GOP wrote:
Isn't it possible for someone to maliciously use a page-refreshing tool to boost up a lot of views on a debate?

Yes. Though I wouldn't say it's malicious, as it doesn't really affect much.

There have been resolutions in which members have argued "This debate will get X number of views"... The members generally just refresh the debate themselves hundreds of time, or in one case advertise the heck out of it allover the site for members to repeatedly bump its views. While the latter isn't allowed because it's spamming, the former is mostly just harmless.

So while members can potentially use a tool to bump debate views, it hard for me to imagine how harmful to the site this may actually be (though it would be discouraged), and it seems to be pretty rare, if it has ever happened at all.
Debate.org Moderator
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:15:58 PM
Since the website has no advertisements, the only issue would be the amount of life the person wastes clicking Refresh, which is really his concern, not the sites.

If the site had Ads, they'd be concerned about RPM fraud, which only applies if the Ads pay per X number of impressions instead of clicks. But again, no ads.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:17:55 PM
At 7/16/2013 8:57:27 PM, GOP wrote:
Isn't it possible for someone to maliciously use a page-refreshing tool to boost up a lot of views on a debate?

Yes. And that's exactly what some of them do.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault