Jump to topic:

How do I change my DDO name.

Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 4:19:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I was wondering if it is possible to change my DDO account username. I made this account in high school and would really like the chance to change it to something more respectable haha.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 7:20:53 AM
You can't. If yo really want to change your name, you have to create another DDO account (and close down your current one).
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 4:42:00 PM
At 7/18/2013 7:20:53 AM, Subutai wrote:
You can't. If yo really want to change your name, you have to create another DDO account (and close down your current one).

Danielle (theLwerd) and Rusty (denote) both managed to get their names changed. I think you have to get the mods to do it.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 5:01:37 PM
At 7/18/2013 4:42:00 PM, phantom wrote:

Danielle (theLwerd) and Rusty (denote) both managed to get their names changed. I think you have to get the mods to do it.

I wish I had known that. 71 debates down the drain...
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 5:17:36 PM
At 7/18/2013 5:01:37 PM, Subutai wrote:

I wish I had known that. 71 debates down the drain...

Don't worry, they don't make exceptions like that anymore.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 5:19:03 PM

We'll no longer do this.

The only way to change your username is to deactivate your account and create a new one.

From the new and improved FAQ found at the bottom of the page:

http://www.debate.org...

Q: Can I change my username?

A: No. The username you create when you sign up will be the same for the life of your account.
Debate.org Moderator
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 5:26:48 PM
At 7/18/2013 5:19:03 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

We'll no longer do this.

The only way to change your username is to deactivate your account and create a new one.

A: No. The username you create when you sign up will be the same for the life of your account.

Why not?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 5:31:32 PM
At 7/18/2013 5:26:48 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

We'll no longer do this.

Why not?

Good question Bobert.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 5:40:13 PM

We'll no longer do this.

Why not?

The simplest answers I can provide are:

1) The frequent requests for username changes would become unnecessarily burdensome for Juggle and the moderators.

2) Keeping track of accounts by unique account numbers, rather than the name itself, would make things more difficult for moderators.
Debate.org Moderator
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 6:01:34 PM
At 7/18/2013 5:40:13 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

We'll no longer do this.

Why not?

1) The frequent requests for username changes would become unnecessarily burdensome for Juggle and the moderators.

2) Keeping track of accounts by unique account numbers, rather than the name itself, would make things more difficult for moderators.

Ok, so better question, why not just let users change their name (though a limited amount of times to reduce spamming) as a profile option?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 6:21:05 PM
At 7/18/2013 6:01:34 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

We'll no longer do this.

Why not?

Ok, so better question, why not just let users change their name (though a limited amount of times to reduce spamming) as a profile option?

It's something worth considering if there is a large enough demand from the membership for it. It's not like there is an option for it that is just blocked so we can "just let" members do this. This would take time and effort to work into the site, and issues (like the second answer I gave) would still remain and need to be resolved.

Ultimately I don't see how much benefit there would be to have this option on the site. Though it may be worth considering once every other issue on the site has been fixed.

I guess my question is, how high on the list of priorities would members like to see this option? And how much would it benefit the site overall?
Debate.org Moderator
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 6:32:57 PM
Airmax is lying. He will change your username after a certain number of sexual favors for himself and members of his staff.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 6:50:33 PM
Why not just pick a username that you won't get tired of? That way you won't have this issue in the first place.
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 8:02:22 PM
At 7/18/2013 7:54:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I wouldn't mind changing my username to CP or C_P or something of the sort.

Well I think tha idea to change names would be cool, but its not a high priority
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 7:15:57 AM
At 7/18/2013 6:21:05 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/18/2013 6:01:34 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

We'll no longer do this.

Why not?

It's something worth considering if there is a large enough demand from the membership for it. It's not like there is an option for it that is just blocked so we can "just let" members do this. This would take time and effort to work into the site, and issues (like the second answer I gave) would still remain and need to be resolved.

Mods could keep track by email address. Or even a sort of handle. Twitter as your account handle, but lets you make your name whatever you want.

Ultimately I don't see how much benefit there would be to have this option on the site. Though it may be worth considering once every other issue on the site has been fixed.

I guess my question is, how high on the list of priorities would members like to see this option? And how much would it benefit the site overall?

Honestly, I just want something. Seriously, something to show us that something is being done. I don't even care what, as long as it's beneficial to users in some way or another.

TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 8:28:58 AM
At 7/18/2013 6:32:57 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Airmax is lying. He will change your username after a certain number of sexual favors for himself and members of his staff.

Wait .... WAIT ...

is airmax ... ??

noooo ... he can't be! ... HE CAN'T BE!

AIRMAX ARE YOU BILL CLINTON?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!
Thank you for voting!