hypothetically...

RocketEngineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 7:50:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I want to get some opinions on this.

Let's say hypothetically, you sign up for a tournament as a replacement for someone who drops out. The moderator replaces you in and tells you that you have until the 19th to determine debate resolutions with three different opponents though its only been less than.a day since you've agreed to replace in. The moderator constantly messages you aggressive words that imply that you are stalling, even though the due date hasn't hit yet and in reality, he should have given you a day or two of an extension to begin with. Tired of being harrassed by the moderator, you accept 2/3 debates on topics that you aren't even interested in, just for the sake of appeasing the moderators time restraints. You are in the process of discussion about the third one, and waiting for the other person to respond. The moderator messages you again saying that you need to hurry, and doesn't care that the situation he put you in was binding and stressful, despite your heavy efforts to speed the process and help him out. Keep in mind this is all before the end of the official due date anyway. Finally you have had enough of the harassment and respond to the moderator in an equally aggressive matter. The moderator threatens to try and get you banned, after responding once more aggressively. He also Expresses interest in replacing you though its out of his power.

In this hypothetical situation, are you wrong, or is the tournament moderator wrong? Just wanting some opinions.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 8:46:43 AM
The credibility of this being a purely "hypothetical" situation quickly diminishes when you use specific details of a tournament currently on the front page of the forums...

I don't think the tournament organizer is wrong for aggressively pushing you to get your topics in. Tournaments notoriously run behind schedule and fall apart towards the end due to people not upholding their commitments. The moderator is doing their best to keep the tournament together.

I don't know why the issue of banning would have come up, I don't know how the exchange actually played out and I am not really interested in it. Bottom line is the mod just wants a smooth running tournament, you volunteered to be part of the tournament so you need to suck it up if the mod is breathing down your neck to meet a deadline.
RocketEngineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 9:05:01 AM
At 7/20/2013 8:46:43 AM, Raisor wrote:
The credibility of this being a purely "hypothetical" situation quickly diminishes when you use specific details of a tournament currently on the front page of the forums...

I don't think the tournament organizer is wrong for aggressively pushing you to get your topics in. Tournaments notoriously run behind schedule and fall apart towards the end due to people not upholding their commitments. The moderator is doing their best to keep the tournament together.

I don't know why the issue of banning would have come up, I don't know how the exchange actually played out and I am not really interested in it. Bottom line is the mod just wants a smooth running tournament, you volunteered to be part of the tournament so you need to suck it up if the mod is breathing down your neck to meet a deadline.

The problem I have is that I HAVE been actively trying to figure crap out. I accomplished resolution #1 on the 18th the day I was replaced, and resolution #2 on the 19th in the morning. I had been discussing the third one periodically with the person who was taking a long time to respond, though I was actively trying to figure out the resolution with him. The due date has been passed because I have not received a response from the other person. So why was I being targeted rather than that person? I have been trying my complete hardest to help him out and get things done. I even accepted debates I didn't want to do, just to speed things up.

I have apologized to him for any response I have said to him that might have offended him, and have expressed interest in dropping it. I am ready to send the challenge to my opponent as soon as he tells me what he wants to debate. Even if I don't like the topic, or agree with the other side, I will do it. All my actions have been ready and willing to go. I feel under-appreciated and angry, because I was not only doing this for my own love of debating, but also to help him out.

But all this aside, as a tournament moderator, her has full control over time limits. This is a debating web site designed for people who love debating for fun right? If time constraints that he put into effect can be changed by him to allow a new replacement, and the 3 people he is debating allow fairness, why not make a slight modification of a day or two?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 9:14:32 AM
Dude take it up with airmax and him in a PM. Nobody wants to hear your drama. And the people that do are going to troll you and make you hate life. Trust me, just drop this.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
RocketEngineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 1:03:24 AM
Ignore this forum please. I have hashed out my issues with the mod, and we have both apologized.I am sorry if I have offended anyone with this.