Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

Luck ----> Talent- ----> Success Yes/No?

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 7:17:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I felt the need to rethink the whole idea of a the foundations of success for people in life after watching this particular video:

This particular I believe had it's targeted audience as athletes and bodybuilders (assumption made based on the contents of the video), but the audio of the video was also rather interesting and enjoyable to look at.

However, my main point in relation to the above video, the audio at approximately 1:39 stated that:

"There has never ever been a person who grew up and become successful by chance".

Based upon the quoted statement, we can (or at least I did) logically conclude (but only towards a certain extent), this possible recreations of that idea:

"Everyone's has the (chances) for success. No one has any noticeable advantage over another human being for success (in any terms) for their life"

The next factor I want to bring upon the idea of success is the concept of talent. For example, really famous celebrities such as Katy Perry and Lady Gaga (I don't know what other examples to use as I know for a fact that most of the people on DDO don't know any of my favorite celebrities) most probably don't need as much dedication to that successful path in life when compared to a doctor or surgeon.

I do remember a quote from a scientist that went something like this:

"Every child was born destined to become a scientist, however as they grew, their hunger for scientific knowledge become non-existent". (probably very different to the actual quote I read, but the concept is still the same)

However, when I relate to the idea of talent, it'd just go something like this

"Every child is born with talent, but as they age, they do not take full advantage of their talent OR they don't recognize they have talent within that particular area".

When talking about talent, I'd just like to keep the type of environment within developed nations (E.g. America, Australia, basically places where they can use money to maximise their potential idea of "talent")

I'm just wondering on what other people think on this sort of concept.

For me I honestly think that some types of success simply REQUIRE talent (e.g. famous singers). I can't imagine everyone in the world be born with a voice good enough to be matched with that of those who are producing million dollar worth records at the moment.

It's kind of late over here for me while I am writing this so I guess my ideas most likely are rather muddled up with each other, but all in all, i'm just asking you, as the DDO community, what you think of the idea or the possibility that:

"Luck", "Talent" and "Success" are all interrelated to each other based upon the examples and the way I picture those 3 factors from the stuff I posted up above.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Peace out.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 7:22:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well, I think this completely ignores "hard work and training." That being said, not everyone is born with the capacity to succeed in any given field. For example, someone coming from a family that has historically been very short likely won't be an NBA basketball player.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder