Jump to topic:

Can Instigator Cancel A debate?

Grumpy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 8:20:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
After proposing a debate, it was erroneously challenged by someone who thought they were on the "other" side, and decided not to continue. How Can I (the instigator) cancel this debate and re-post it for a new challenger?
Cogito Ergo sum Quid sum - Cogito
I think, therefore I am what I am - I think
BellumQuodPacis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 8:43:12 AM
Wait for them to forfeit their first round. If they already posted just tell them to forfeit the debate, free win for you and then post the debate on the open challenges again
Grumpy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 9:00:28 AM
At 12/10/2009 8:43:12 AM, BellumQuodPacis wrote:
Wait for them to forfeit their first round. If they already posted just tell them to forfeit the debate, free win for you and then post the debate on the open challenges again

A: I really hate to win a debate by this means. I would prefer to actually cancel. B: If this is not possible, how does one forfeit? Just by not posting within the allotted time? My opponent has already decided not to continue. Does he need to do anything else to close this out? Do I?

Thanks for the advise.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 9:02:00 AM
At 12/10/2009 9:00:28 AM, Grumpy wrote:

A: I really hate to win a debate by this means. I would prefer to actually cancel. B: If this is not possible, how does one forfeit? Just by not posting within the allotted time? My opponent has already decided not to continue. Does he need to do anything else to close this out? Do I?

Thanks for the advise.

Just say in your next post: Everyone please ignore this debate.

Then you ignore it too.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Grumpy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 9:06:18 AM
At 12/10/2009 9:02:00 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/10/2009 9:00:28 AM, Grumpy wrote:

Thanks for the advise.

Just say in your next post: Everyone please ignore this debate.

Then you ignore it too.

Thank you.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 9:08:11 AM
no prob.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."