Jump to topic:

Caffeine Abuse

Robin.Done
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 1:10:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Caffeine has been around for centuries and widely used with little to no health issues. In the last 20 years a new form of caffeine is taking the market by storm, energy drinks. Energy drinks contain a significantly higher level of caffeine than a single serving of coffee, tea or soda. The FDA does does not regulate the amount of caffeine put in these drinks because they are classified as supplements. Due to the high doses of caffeine there has been a spike in health concerns and issues associated with consuming too much of these drinks. People of younger ages are consuming these beverages in large volumes desensitizing their bodies to the effects, leading to overdose and caffeine toxicity. Warning labels and education materials need to be put out to make the general population aware of the risks when too much caffeine is consumed.
Robin Done
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 1:41:26 AM
At 7/26/2013 1:10:07 AM, Robin.Done wrote:
Caffeine has been around for centuries and widely used with little to no health issues. In the last 20 years a new form of caffeine is taking the market by storm, energy drinks. Energy drinks contain a significantly higher level of caffeine than a single serving of coffee, tea or soda. The FDA does does not regulate the amount of caffeine put in these drinks because they are classified as supplements. Due to the high doses of caffeine there has been a spike in health concerns and issues associated with consuming too much of these drinks. People of younger ages are consuming these beverages in large volumes desensitizing their bodies to the effects, leading to overdose and caffeine toxicity. Warning labels and education materials need to be put out to make the general population aware of the risks when too much caffeine is consumed.

Young people should refrain from consuming too much caffeine, but this should already be obvious. Most people should also already be aware that stimulants of this sort are unhealthy and should be consumed at a minimum and in moderation.

I'm not sure if this post is some special interest agenda spam, or someone genuinely looking for a discussion on the topic, so I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt (in the future, post this in the correct forum though... Politics, society, science, health... pretty much any forum could have a case made for it except the one it's actually in).

On the substance and conclusion of the OP:

"Warning labels and education materials need to be put out to make the general population aware of the risks when too much caffeine is consumed."

Are you suggesting a mandate that companies provide warning labels for caffeinated beverages? They already are required to provide health information on any consumable.

As for the education materials: Are you suggesting a government program educating the public on the problems with caffeine? While people being more aware of anything is always a good thing (and it's already easily available), I don't think it's going to be easy to get funding for this, and I certainly don't want to see it publicly paid for. The government can't forever hold the hands of those who refuse to take care of themselves.
Debate.org Moderator
zkeddari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 4:15:46 AM
At 7/26/2013 1:41:26 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Young people should refrain from consuming too much caffeine, but this should already be obvious. Most people should also already be aware that stimulants of this sort are unhealthy and should be consumed at a minimum and in moderation.

I'm not sure if this post is some special interest agenda spam, or someone genuinely looking for a discussion on the topic, so I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt (in the future, post this in the correct forum though... Politics, society, science, health... pretty much any forum could have a case made for it except the one it's actually in).

"Warning labels and education materials need to be put out to make the general population aware of the risks when too much caffeine is consumed."

Are you suggesting a mandate that companies provide warning labels for caffeinated beverages? They already are required to provide health information on any consumable.

As for the education materials: Are you suggesting a government program educating the public on the problems with caffeine? While people being more aware of anything is always a good thing (and it's already easily available), I don't think it's going to be easy to get funding for this, and I certainly don't want to see it publicly paid for. The government can't forever hold the hands of those who refuse to take care of themselves.

You are certainly right in some points in your argument. As you said: "Are you suggesting a government program educating the problems with caffine?"

That is a good point, able to benefit the next generation in the long term.

I don't entirely agree with one of the points you stated: "The government can't forever hold the hands of those who refuse to take care of themselves".

Taxes. The government expects us to fund taxes. In that order, the government has the money to actually press the message, even create institutes solely for this actual purpose. Just keep that in mind, my boy.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 3:21:30 PM
At 7/27/2013 4:15:46 AM, zkeddari wrote:

You are certainly right in some points in your argument. As you said: "Are you suggesting a government program educating the problems with caffine?"

That is a good point, able to benefit the next generation in the long term.

I don't entirely agree with one of the points you stated: "The government can't forever hold the hands of those who refuse to take care of themselves".

Taxes. The government expects us to fund taxes. In that order, the government has the money to actually press the message, even create institutes solely for this actual purpose. Just keep that in mind, my boy.

It depends which government you are talking about. Certainly not the US government, which actually can't afford to do much of anything these days, especially funding a department of caffeine education.

This is something better left to the private funding of a special interest group.
Debate.org Moderator
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 5:53:19 PM

Young people should refrain from consuming too much caffeine, but this should already be obvious.

Stupid people deserve suffering.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 5:57:42 PM

That must be such a burden for them.

As for the education materials: Are you suggesting a government program educating the public on the problems with caffeine? While people being more aware of anything is always a good thing (and it's already easily available), I don't think it's going to be easy to get funding for this, and I certainly don't want to see it publicly paid for.

Drug education is stupid, I agree. Teach them nothing! Not with my tax dollars which fund the whole government!

The government can't forever hold the hands of those who refuse to take care of themselves.

Let them suffer. Those stupids.

May the best man win!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 9:10:30 PM
At 7/27/2013 5:53:19 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Young people should refrain from consuming too much caffeine, but this should already be obvious.

Stupid people deserve suffering.

I didn't say anything implying what you replied. At some point people have to take personal responsibility and not rely on a governing body to make illegal everything that can potentially harm them. This is just my opinion though, I recognize there are many who disagree. New York outlawing large sodas is a good example of people demanding government to make decisions for them as it is too much of a burden on the individual to do it themselves, but more importantly, for society to be trusted to do it on their own. So New Yorkers conclude that a law is necessary to protect ones self from them self, even from something as benign as a large soda.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 9:17:24 PM
At 7/27/2013 5:57:42 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

That must be such a burden for them.

It might be, but who cares. Health info on consumables is a good thing.

As for the education materials: Are you suggesting a government program educating the public on the problems with caffeine? While people being more aware of anything is always a good thing (and it's already easily available), I don't think it's going to be easy to get funding for this, and I certainly don't want to see it publicly paid for.

Drug education is stupid, I agree. Teach them nothing! Not with my tax dollars which fund the whole government!

I didn't say it was stupid, just that it was already available. There doesn't need to be government funded anti caffeine propaganda all over TV and radio right now, or at least it should be a low priority assuming we are talking about the U.S.

The government can't forever hold the hands of those who refuse to take care of themselves.

Let them suffer. Those stupids.

I didn't say this... Everything, including this, that you replied to me was a straw man.

If you want to donate to an anti-caffeine special interest group go right ahead, but as far as priorities go, I don't personally believe caffeine is a significant enough problem to create a new government department, or even spend any significant amount of money on. Clearly you disagree, and I'm sure you can make some good arguments for this, rather than only straw manning my responses as you have done so far.
Debate.org Moderator
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 9:21:52 PM
Shouldn't this be on the Health forum?
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 9:26:04 PM
At 7/27/2013 9:21:52 PM, Ragnar wrote:
Shouldn't this be on the Health forum?

Yes, though it's possible the OP assumed DDO members consume too much caffeine and figured it'd be important to have it in the main forums.

I imagine the OP is just a new member though and placed in the wrong place... it happens.
Debate.org Moderator
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 10:05:26 PM
At 7/27/2013 9:17:24 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I didn't say this... Everything, including this, that you replied to me was a straw man.

I know.

May the best man win!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 12:02:16 AM
At 7/27/2013 10:05:26 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

I know.

Was there some kinda of point to your replies then?

Are you suggesting I was straw manning the OP?
Debate.org Moderator
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 12:39:48 PM
At 7/28/2013 12:02:16 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I know.

Just seeing how you'd reply, if you tried to defend what I said then I'd question if you really meant it, and then disagree. I don't think we'd quite see eye to eye anyway, but I don't think they need an extra department for it either.

It is interesting though, caffeine is probably the drug which the highest amount of U.S citizens are addicted to.

May the best man win!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 2:23:31 PM
At 7/28/2013 12:39:48 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 7/28/2013 12:02:16 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I know.

Just seeing how you'd reply, if you tried to defend what I said then I'd question if you really meant it, and then disagree. I don't think we'd quite see eye to eye anyway, but I don't think they need an extra department for it either.

hmm alright.

It is interesting though, caffeine is probably the drug which the highest amount of U.S citizens are addicted to.

Yeah, I believe that is true, and it's not without its problems. But aside from children consuming too much it's not a significant problem. Adults can consume a decent amount of it regularly without much issue. It's not addictive or harmful to an extent requiring the attention implied in the OP. Adults can consume it regularly in moderation with little problems at all.

It is however addictive and people do become dependent on it, for that reason, people should refrain from consuming it too much, and children should refrain altogether.
Debate.org Moderator
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 11:35:39 PM
I agree that caffeine should not be abused. I just read today that caffeine, when used in moderation, can boost brain activity. I may try using it right before exams this year, since studies indicate that undergrads who drink it immediately prior to an exam will score higher than undergrads who do not drink it. I wasn't really a fan of coffee or tea, but maybe it will be useful.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 10:45:35 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the body is desensitized to caffeine from a young age, then the possibility of caffeine toxicity would go down or at least stay constant (if people start consuming more to keep up with the desensitivity). That is, unless there are any long term chronic effects to caffeine, which I don't think there are.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:20:59 PM
Caffeine has been around for centuries and widely used with little to no health issues. In the last 20 years a new form of caffeine is taking the market by storm, energy drinks. Energy drinks contain a significantly higher level of caffeine than a single serving of coffee, tea or soda.
More Caffeine =/= New form of Caffeine
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle