Jump to topic:

It's called the opinion section for a reason

justin.graves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 6:18:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I still enjoy popping around the opinion section, which first got me hooked on DDO. Recently I've noticed a trend... people demanding that the opinions being given have evidence and sources given with it... It's called the opinion section for a reason. It's really nothing but an online opinion poll; it isn't a debate. What do you think?
-Justin K. Graves, Demon Hunter
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 9:22:21 AM
At 7/27/2013 6:18:29 AM, justin.graves wrote:
I still enjoy popping around the opinion section, which first got me hooked on DDO. Recently I've noticed a trend... people demanding that the opinions being given have evidence and sources given with it... It's called the opinion section for a reason. It's really nothing but an online opinion poll; it isn't a debate. What do you think?

That's just, like, your opinion, man.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 9:37:34 AM
At 7/27/2013 9:22:21 AM, drafterman wrote:

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

That's just your opinion of his opinion........
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 10:55:09 AM

You are correct, and for that reason the opinion section doesn't belong on DDO. Debate is all about arguments, evidence, and rebuttals. Unsupported opinions are for facebook and twitter, where people just rant.

I think a better alternative would be for debaters to tag their debates with keywords, in twitter hashtag fashion. Then a section could be devoted to listing the debates by subject. Maybe "favorite" voting or Elo scores could be used to order them so the best are near the top of the list. Maybe the first paragraph of Pro and Con last round arguments could be put with the listings.
BornToDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 1:07:10 PM
It is my opinion that justin.graves be exterminated by daleks for speaking his mind.

It is my opinion that only I should be allowed to speak my mind.

According to justin, there is no requirement for backing up my opinion as it can be considered fully valid.

good luck with the daleks, justin.
dilfilly fung fing
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 1:45:09 PM
At 7/27/2013 10:55:09 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

You are correct, and for that reason the opinion section doesn't belong on DDO. Debate is all about arguments, evidence, and rebuttals. Unsupported opinions are for facebook and twitter, where people just rant.

I think a better alternative would be for debaters to tag their debates with keywords, in twitter hashtag fashion. Then a section could be devoted to listing the debates by subject. Maybe "favorite" voting or Elo scores could be used to order them so the best are near the top of the list. Maybe the first paragraph of Pro and Con last round arguments could be put with the listings.

Agreed. If you just want to drop your opinion, as stupid or unfounded as it may be and run, do it on social networking.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 2:15:48 PM
I mean, I dunno, I guess this justin dude here might just be someone working for Juggle or something, but otherwise he's testament to the opinions section bringing people to the site.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 3:51:39 PM
At 7/27/2013 2:15:48 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I mean, I dunno, I guess this justin dude here might just be someone working for Juggle or something, but otherwise he's testament to the opinions section bringing people to the site.

The more stuff a site has, the better the chanc eof getting Google hits. I think it comes down to repeat visitors. Those are much more difficult to capture. People who just want to give an opinion and not defend it are going to be happier on twitter or facebook in the long run. What twitter and facebook cannot provide is good debate.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 3:55:30 PM
At 7/27/2013 2:15:48 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I'm not even sure it would be a good thing if DDO got excessive traffic. As a general rule, the more tempered and secluded something is, the better the quality, the more commercial it is, the lesser the quality.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault