Jump to topic:

too much evidence

rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 1:25:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I suppose in real life debates, you don't have evidence with you so there's more bluffing and speculation. It'd be more fun that way, and every time you claimed something without evidence, it'd be risky, but you'd probably get away with it.

Lately, all my debates have been ground down in evidence, and debating's beginning to feel like a safe government job.

How can it be avoided? Is it bad form to rely too much on evidence? Does anybody have any advice?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 1:39:26 AM
Well to win a debate you usually have to convince the audience that you're right. Opinions and statements are much stronger when they're supported by news, statistics and facts. Therefore, the best way to construct a full and strong argument is to support it with facts which is evidence.

If you don't like that kind of debate, debate more topics that require little research.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 1:44:53 AM
At 7/28/2013 1:25:35 AM, rross wrote:
I suppose in real life debates, you don't have evidence with you so there's more bluffing and speculation. It'd be more fun that way, and every time you claimed something without evidence, it'd be risky, but you'd probably get away with it.

Lately, all my debates have been ground down in evidence, and debating's beginning to feel like a safe government job.

lol, it only feels safe to you because you've been winning blowout victories. =)

How can it be avoided? Is it bad form to rely too much on evidence? Does anybody have any advice?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 2:12:40 AM
Easy: Set it as a rule to have no sources.

I do agree with one of the above, that voters often vote for who they believe at the end. I think that is a bad voting habit to be in, I try to measure the strength of presentation above merely right or wrong .
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
BornToDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 2:15:02 AM
Do philosophy debates (any branch of philosophy not related to RELIGION will end up requiring no sources at all to be carried out)
dilfilly fung fing
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 2:37:56 AM
At 7/28/2013 1:25:35 AM, rross wrote:

I'm actually in agreement with you to a certain extent in that my favorite competitive debate format (in the real world) is British Parliamentary, where four teams of two (two teams on Pro, two teams on Con) only get the resolution twenty minutes in advance. For those debates you have to just use logic, not sources. If or when Juggle introduce team debates it might well be possible to configure team-based quick fire debates (or even tournaments) where the resolution comes at the last moment and arguments can't just be a list of sources.
I'm back (ish).
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 11:14:32 AM
I dislike debates without sources. I often find analysis of academic studies and other reliable sources to be a great starting point for discussion. I admit it is more tedious but in the end, it is more fulfilling.

Many people look down on what they call "source wars" but getting all the facts out are essential. They are contradictory studies out there precisely because they use different methodologies or because some of them are flawed. Hashing out those details leads to a more informative debate that the debaters can actually learn something from and be more knowledgeable about an issue for having debated it.