Jump to topic:

What is the point of debating?

BornToDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 6:54:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've always wondered what the point is since everyone goes away thinking they definitely won it regardless of the verdict and that their opponent sucked badly.

On top of this, everyone debating will only hold their opinions much stronger and more vigilantly/militantly after debating than before so the only people who would ever be swayed by it are the third parties involved with the debate.

If the only people who benefit from a debate are the people watching it then why do people do it for free?

That is the problem with debating. It's only purposeful to those who don't do it.
dilfilly fung fing
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 6:58:49 PM
At 7/29/2013 6:54:50 PM, BornToDebate wrote:
I've always wondered what the point is since everyone goes away thinking they definitely won it regardless of the verdict and that their opponent sucked badly.

Calculatedrisk has said I changed his views after debating him on morality.
I reformulated and tweaked all of my arguments after debating philochristos.
One of my debate opponents admitted that I beat him.
BornToDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:00:24 PM
At 7/29/2013 6:58:49 PM, Sargon wrote:

In that case your opponent clearly didn't debate to what they perceive was their full capacity. If they had debated to a level of what they perceive as sufficient, then they would have been blinded to your arguments.
dilfilly fung fing
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:01:04 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:00:24 PM, BornToDebate wrote:

In that case your opponent clearly didn't debate to what they perceive was their full capacity. If they had debated to a level of what they perceive as sufficient, then they would have been blinded to your arguments.

Which is refuted by anecdotes (1) and (2).
BornToDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:01:32 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:01:04 PM, Sargon wrote:

It's supported by those anecdotes.
dilfilly fung fing
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:06:39 PM

Not always, just usually.
On top of this, everyone debating will only hold their opinions much stronger and more vigilantly/militantly after debating than before so the only people who would ever be swayed by it are the third parties involved with the debate.

If the only people who benefit from a debate are the people watching it then why do people do it for free?

That is the problem with debating. It's only purposeful to those who don't do it.
Aside from the fact that debaters sometimes do change their mind, there are many other reasons.
It can be fun, entertaining, enlightening, challenging, etc. It forces you to understand ( & appreciate) other positions even if you don't agree with them, it forces you to develop, modify, & clarify your own positions for yourself, this gives one greater sense of clarity.
Finally, some people like spreading their thought ideas and opinions to others for free. The Internet is full of it, which is one of it's many beauties the dissemination of free information. Some other examples are MOOKs, Wikipedia, Quora, blogs, etc.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:07:35 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:01:32 PM, BornToDebate wrote:

Ok, so people changing their views after a debate, against what they previously thought, is somehow evidence of the OP?

Excuse me for a moment.
BornToDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:08:12 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:06:39 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

Aside from the fact that debaters sometimes do change their mind, there are many other reasons.
It can be fun, entertaining, enlightening, challenging, etc. It forces you to understand ( & appreciate) other positions even if you don't agree with them, it forces you to develop, modify, & clarify your own positions for yourself, this gives one greater sense of clarity.
Finally, some people like spreading their thought ideas and opinions to others for free. The Internet is full of it, which is one of it's many beauties the dissemination of free information. Some other examples are MOOKs, Wikipedia, Quora, blogs, etc.

So, in essence, debating is a masochistic hobby of opinionated intellectuals and its sole purpose is to fuel their addiction.
dilfilly fung fing
BornToDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:09:00 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:07:35 PM, Sargon wrote:

Ok, so people changing their views after a debate, against what they previously thought, is somehow evidence of the OP?

Excuse me for a moment.

They weren't debating at their full capacity and therefore didn't qualify what they dd as sufficient debate. If they had done that, OP would be proven.
dilfilly fung fing
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:10:03 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:08:12 PM, BornToDebate wrote:
At 7/29/2013 7:06:39 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

So, in essence, debating is a masochistic hobby of opinionated intellectuals and its sole purpose is to fuel their addiction.

That's debatable.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:12:09 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:09:00 PM, BornToDebate wrote:

Excuse me for a moment.

They weren't debating at their full capacity and therefore didn't qualify what they dd as sufficient debate. If they had done that, OP would be proven.

No, you're just speculating.
BornToDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:18:07 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:12:09 PM, Sargon wrote:

Excuse me for a moment.

You just proved my OP right by how you reacted to the mini forum debate we just had.
dilfilly fung fing
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:18:32 PM
Becoming more educated on the opinions you hold, challenging yourself in a respectable manner, and possibly, changing your opinions. I was a far right Conservative Christian before I joined DDO. Now, I'm a Libertarian Atheist. Things change.

Also, it's funny that someone named "BornToDebate" would know the purpose of debating - you're just mad that you're losing debates.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
BornToDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:19:48 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:18:32 PM, Subutai wrote:
Becoming more educated on the opinions you hold, challenging yourself in a respectable manner, and possibly, changing your opinions. I was a far right Conservative Christian before I joined DDO. Now, I'm a Libertarian Atheist. Things change.

Also, it's funny that someone named "BornToDebate" would know the purpose of debating - you're just mad that you're losing debates.

I do not debate to win.
dilfilly fung fing
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:21:51 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:19:48 PM, BornToDebate wrote:

I do not debate to win.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeah. Ok. Whatever you say.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
BornToDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:22:59 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:21:51 PM, Subutai wrote:

I do not debate to win.

Your words cannot penetrate my forcefield.
dilfilly fung fing
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:32:21 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:22:59 PM, BornToDebate wrote:

I do not debate to win.

Sorry, but you have no forcefield.
BornToDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:33:25 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:32:21 PM, Subutai wrote:

I do not debate to win.

You gonna put some nerdy crap to prove that theory too?
dilfilly fung fing
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:34:02 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:33:25 PM, BornToDebate wrote:
At 7/29/2013 7:32:21 PM, Subutai wrote:

I do not debate to win.

You gonna put some nerdy crap to prove that theory too?

Yep. If you insist.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:35:54 PM
BorntoDebate, what was your last account?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
BornToDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:37:34 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:35:54 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

?
dilfilly fung fing
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:41:31 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:37:34 PM, BornToDebate wrote:
At 7/29/2013 7:35:54 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

?

You joined a week ago, you almost immediately start bashing DDO for its flaws, and you start a debate with Imabench which is a rap battle against RationalMadman, who no new user would even know about. Are you RationalMadman?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:44:44 PM
Ha I guess I was right.

Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 8:15:23 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:18:07 PM, BornToDebate wrote:
At 7/29/2013 7:12:09 PM, Sargon wrote:

Excuse me for a moment.

You just proved my OP right by how you reacted to the mini forum debate we just had.

What?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 9:07:43 PM

I guess you weren't born to debate, then.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 3:42:25 AM
F16 changed my mind on the death penalty after absolutely butt raping me in a debate.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."