Retiring..

funnybrad333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2008 5:04:59 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
Online debate is terrible.

I know I can't be right on every point, but it seems as if I have angered enough people in which I will never be "deemed" right.

So, as the title suggests, I am retiring.

Real Life Should Be Valued Over Fantasy, or in other words, Teh Internetz.
If I didn't answer what you said, try bolding the important part.
LightC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2008 5:08:22 PM
Aww, so sad *Tear* However I agree with you, online debating does suck. Competitive debate is so much better.
CiRrO - The master LD debater
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2008 5:09:10 PM
At 11/16/2008 5:04:59 PM, funnybrad333 wrote:

I know I can't be right on every point, but it seems as if I have angered enough people in which I will never be "deemed" right.

I don't think anyone is angry with you, just on a few personal attacks you have made to certain members. As for differing opinions, you are fine. I think most people here prefer opposing viewpoints, otherwise we would have nothing to debate. In other words, we'll welcome you back if you ever decide to return.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2008 5:10:25 PM
Not being agreed with is a terrible reason to leave debate.org

I myself will be retiring soon for other reasons.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2008 5:11:21 PM
At 11/16/2008 5:10:25 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Not being agreed with is a terrible reason to leave debate.org

I myself will be retiring soon for other reasons.

What are these reasons?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2008 5:13:02 PM
Personally, I get more challenging opponents online. Real life is not so much about debate as it is relying on sophist techniques. That, and more often than not, the debate is (for the most part) smaltzy.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2008 5:19:16 PM
I have very little experience with real life debate (my school has a debate club, and I am in it; but it sucks. We don't learn anything, and no one cares enough to prepare for debates. Not to mention, we fabricated our own debate format), so it would be wrong of me to inject an opinion. But I prefer debate.org for reasons outside of the debating. The community thrives, and there is great intellectual discussion. By just roaming through this site, I've learned so much.

I'm sad to see you go. Hopefully, you will come back!
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2008 5:32:03 PM
I plan to retire soon, too. I will not deactivate my account, just stop getting emails about it.

I will not do this for another month or so, though.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Labrat228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2008 5:41:00 PM

My friend..
The I-Net is real.
The issues (many of them) debated on this site are real.
Therefor, I believe this to be "Real" life.

Not to mention the benefits you can receive from being an active debater on this site. You quickly become a fast thinker and a great "Real" life debater as well.
VOTE INNOMEN

How much pot does Charlie Sheen do?
Enough to kill Two and a Half Men!
funnybrad333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2008 5:43:56 PM
I would trade all the time I have spent on this site to have a word with any intellectual.

Real life discussion just surpasses online debate in every single aspect...

I just want to talk ideology, but everyone just spams links or text.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2008 5:45:08 PM
The following is a mindless retort.

At 11/16/2008 5:41:00 PM, Labrat228 wrote:
My friend..
Ewww... you sound like McCain.

The I-Net is real.
In the most simplistic semantic sense, yes. But most people don't consider the Internet to be "real life".

Not to mention the benefits you can receive from being an active debater on this site. You quickly become a fast thinker and a great "Real" life debater as well.
Not necessarily a "great 'real' life debater", but a better one, yes.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2008 6:28:40 PM
I left debate.org the first time because it just got boring. When I found that the site was updated, I came back. Now, it got boring again. That's one reason.

The others are kind of personal. After I finish my current debate, I won't be frequenting debate.org any longer. I'll keep my account on and log on once in a while, but aside from that, I think I'll be moving on to other stuffs.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
funnybrad333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2008 6:34:32 PM
At 11/16/2008 6:28:40 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I left debate.org the first time because it just got boring. When I found that the site was updated, I came back. Now, it got boring again. That's one reason.

The others are kind of personal. After I finish my current debate, I won't be frequenting debate.org any longer. I'll keep my account on and log on once in a while, but aside from that, I think I'll be moving on to other stuffs.

Amen to that.

I'll still come back from time to time to discuss current debate topics and perhaps trade cases and ideas.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2008 2:03:04 PM
Are people going to leave permanently or log back in maybe once a week? or a month? Was Josh going a good thing? I know he spammed and vote bombed and all but he gave us stuff to talk about and united us momentarily. Sometimes the worst things in life are for the best. Like chocolate!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2008 2:20:44 PM
At 11/17/2008 2:03:04 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Are people going to leave permanently or log back in maybe once a week? or a month? Was Josh going a good thing? I know he spammed and vote bombed and all but he gave us stuff to talk about and united us momentarily. Sometimes the worst things in life are for the best. Like chocolate!

Haha, Josh's vote bombing was like 9/11. Another reason why I correctly labeled him a terrorist. But yeah, he kind of delayed my "retirement plans".

Really though, debate.org has been outranked by more fun things in my life, so I'll demote it from "hobby" to "website that I visit from time to time"

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2008 5:00:22 PM
At 11/16/2008 5:45:08 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
The following is a mindless retort.

At 11/16/2008 5:41:00 PM, Labrat228 wrote:
My friend..
Ewww... you sound like McCain.

The I-Net is real.
In the most simplistic semantic sense, yes. But most people don't consider the Internet to be "real life".

Ad populum.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2008 5:07:43 PM
At 11/17/2008 5:00:22 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 11/16/2008 5:45:08 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Ad populum.

Oh, shut up and look at the context. "Real life" was being used idiomatically. Labrat's refutation relied on the basis that the Internet was based in real life. In context, the Internet not being in "real life" makes ense.

For example, if I had a fantasy imagined only in my head, this imagination would technically be real life-- it exists as electrical signals in my brain. But no one is going to claim otherwise.
mastajake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2008 8:22:31 PM
I have just started on this site not long ago and have no plans for retiring. This site as of now is the best site I have stumbled upon. People in real life get way too heated and personal and hardly want to talk about the issues in which I pride in. Debate.org is a place for me to also alleviate eager discussions or debates I feel must be had.

But this view may change as my desire might.

~Mastajake
One of the hardest things to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2008 1:05:16 AM
I learn a lot from debating, primarily because I want to win debates (duh) and it forces me to study and research. Otherwise, I'd be too lazy to do squat. That's the only main reason why I debate. If somehow I lose that, then I probably won't engage in Debate.org so much anymore.
Mangani
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2008 7:42:13 AM
At 11/18/2008 1:05:16 AM, TheSkeptic wrote:
I learn a lot from debating, primarily because I want to win debates (duh) and it forces me to study and research. Otherwise, I'd be too lazy to do squat. That's the only main reason why I debate. If somehow I lose that, then I probably won't engage in Debate.org so much anymore.

That is exactly the reason why I am here. Some people engage in debates about video games, then complain that the community is not intellectual. How about that?

Here I have met intellectual 14 year olds whom I am very impressed with. I did not have the opportunity to debate in High School, and this has sort of been a training ground for me. I hope I have gotten better because of those I have debated against (anybody, not just the 14 year olds!), and if I haven't gotten better, or learned anything I think I would blame myself, and not others.

As for debating on the internet not being "real", that is correct. I am a live poker player who lived in Las Vegas for quite some time, and now that I don't live there anymore I am limited to the internet which is not the same. Some rooms are entirely too easy to win in, and in other rooms players have mastered a system of betting that it is impossible to beat them. Sitting face to face with someone is easier for me to keep track of tells, aggressive players, etc. Either way it is a different format, and can assist you in practicing for the "real" situation. Internet players are now the biggest group represented at the World Series of Poker, and that is due to the competitiveness of the internet.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 3:38:56 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 11/16/2008 5:04:59 PM, funnybrad333 wrote:

Bye!
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."