Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Debate techniques

GOP
Posts: 453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:03:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Add on to the list.

Here, I will add some:

1. Use transition words to make the flow of your debate smooth.
2. Point out logical fallacies committed by your opponent.
3. Incorporate actual quotes from sources in your argument instead of ONLY paraphrasing what the sources say. You should do both quoting and paraphrasing.

Feel free to expound on what I said. Corrections are welcome.
Continue.
GOP
Posts: 453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:15:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/2/2013 11:10:41 PM, fartingsaucer wrote:
Never forfiet debate rounds

OK.

4. Never forfeit debate rounds.

Guys, make sure you number the tips.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:17:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
5. Unless otherwise agreed to, feel free to analyze the resolution's wording itself, use theory, topicality, semantics, and other off-case arguments.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:31:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/2/2013 11:03:07 PM, GOP wrote:

3. Incorporate actual quotes from sources in your argument instead of ONLY paraphrasing what the sources say. You should do both quoting and paraphrasing.

Feel free to expound on what I said. Corrections are welcome.

I disagree with that one. I think that you should make your own arguments rather than utilize a quote more than once or twice in an argument. Using quotes is a glorified appeal to authority, and should not be used in lieu of an argument.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:35:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
6. Always, always try to come up with an analogy. It helps people understand, plus it's how many people first learned new things, by stories.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Subutai
Posts: 3,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:42:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
7. Make your debate points very structured with bolded titles.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
GOP
Posts: 453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 12:06:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/2/2013 11:31:35 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 8/2/2013 11:03:07 PM, GOP wrote:

3. Incorporate actual quotes from sources in your argument instead of ONLY paraphrasing what the sources say. You should do both quoting and paraphrasing.

Feel free to expound on what I said. Corrections are welcome.

I disagree with that one. I think that you should make your own arguments rather than utilize a quote more than once or twice in an argument. Using quotes is a glorified appeal to authority, and should not be used in lieu of an argument.

Well, I was thinking about how we incorporate quotes in persuasive essays and stuff. At school, we used a lot of quotes as well as our own arguments.
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 12:09:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
- Don't go insane with building or italicizing
- Only troll debates meant for easy wins
- Dont debate the liberal stance of anything ever
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
GOP
Posts: 453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 12:19:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 12:09:28 AM, imabench wrote:
- Don't go insane with building or italicizing
- Only troll debates meant for easy wins
- Dont debate the liberal stance of anything ever

I find the first one good enough to be on the list.

8. Don't go insane with making letters bold or italicized.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 12:28:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/2/2013 11:31:35 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 8/2/2013 11:03:07 PM, GOP wrote:

3. Incorporate actual quotes from sources in your argument instead of ONLY paraphrasing what the sources say. You should do both quoting and paraphrasing.

Feel free to expound on what I said. Corrections are welcome.

I disagree with that one. I think that you should make your own arguments rather than utilize a quote more than once or twice in an argument. Using quotes is a glorified appeal to authority, and should not be used in lieu of an argument.

I disagree with your disagreement. Many times, what occurs is that the debater misquotes the source. Quoting the source keeps the researcher honest.

For me, whenever I come across a mis-attributed source, I'm tempted to score both conduct AND sources against the guilty party. It's sloppy at best, deceitful at worst.

Just quote. If appeal to authority becomes an issue, take care of it then.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
GOP
Posts: 453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 1:13:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 12:28:27 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 8/2/2013 11:31:35 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 8/2/2013 11:03:07 PM, GOP wrote:

3. Incorporate actual quotes from sources in your argument instead of ONLY paraphrasing what the sources say. You should do both quoting and paraphrasing.

Feel free to expound on what I said. Corrections are welcome.

I disagree with that one. I think that you should make your own arguments rather than utilize a quote more than once or twice in an argument. Using quotes is a glorified appeal to authority, and should not be used in lieu of an argument.

I disagree with your disagreement. Many times, what occurs is that the debater misquotes the source. Quoting the source keeps the researcher honest.

For me, whenever I come across a mis-attributed source, I'm tempted to score both conduct AND sources against the guilty party. It's sloppy at best, deceitful at worst.

Just quote. If appeal to authority becomes an issue, take care of it then.

THIS.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 3:40:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Abuse semantics.
Make strawmen arguments and red herrings.
Provide superfluous and irrelevant sources.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 7:35:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 12:28:27 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 8/2/2013 11:31:35 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 8/2/2013 11:03:07 PM, GOP wrote:

3. Incorporate actual quotes from sources in your argument instead of ONLY paraphrasing what the sources say. You should do both quoting and paraphrasing.

Feel free to expound on what I said. Corrections are welcome.

I disagree with that one. I think that you should make your own arguments rather than utilize a quote more than once or twice in an argument. Using quotes is a glorified appeal to authority, and should not be used in lieu of an argument.

I disagree with your disagreement. Many times, what occurs is that the debater misquotes the source. Quoting the source keeps the researcher honest.

For me, whenever I come across a mis-attributed source, I'm tempted to score both conduct AND sources against the guilty party. It's sloppy at best, deceitful at worst.

Just quote. If appeal to authority becomes an issue, take care of it then.

Well, I mean, by all means quote your opponent and you're opponent's source. That makes their errors clearer. However, when I'm reading someone's argument, I much prefer to see what they are arguing, not what someone else is arguing.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:57:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 7:35:10 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 8/3/2013 12:28:27 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 8/2/2013 11:31:35 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 8/2/2013 11:03:07 PM, GOP wrote:

3. Incorporate actual quotes from sources in your argument instead of ONLY paraphrasing what the sources say. You should do both quoting and paraphrasing.

Feel free to expound on what I said. Corrections are welcome.

I disagree with that one. I think that you should make your own arguments rather than utilize a quote more than once or twice in an argument. Using quotes is a glorified appeal to authority, and should not be used in lieu of an argument.

I disagree with your disagreement. Many times, what occurs is that the debater misquotes the source. Quoting the source keeps the researcher honest.

For me, whenever I come across a mis-attributed source, I'm tempted to score both conduct AND sources against the guilty party. It's sloppy at best, deceitful at worst.

Just quote. If appeal to authority becomes an issue, take care of it then.

Well, I mean, by all means quote your opponent and you're opponent's source. That makes their errors clearer. However, when I'm reading someone's argument, I much prefer to see what they are arguing, not what someone else is arguing.

While I agree with you here, this is a somewhat different point than what I was making. An example of the point I am making comes from this debate:

http://www.debate.org...

PRO states that "US place [sic] embargo on Hati [sic] for envirnmental [sic] reasons," and cites a source.

The source is crystal clear:

"The President of Haiti (Jean-Bertrand Aristide) was democratically elected on December 16, 1990. However, on September 30, 1991, he was overthrown in a coup d'etat headed by Lieutenant-General Raoul Cedras.(1) As a result of the coup, Raoul Cedras's junta was immediately and strongly condemned by the United Nations (U.N.), Organization of American States (O.A.S.), and United States (U.S.). These three entities later reacted with sanctioning Cedras's action. "

"Sanctions on Haiti seemed to fail outright: Haiti's environment was effected deleteriously; due to a lack of staple goods..."


...i.e., environmental degradation was a RESULT of the sanctions, not the cause, which was due to an illegal coup.

I scored sources against PRO for this misstatement, even though CON did not have significant sources of his own. That I had to actually verify what seemed to be a ridiculous point from PRO caused me to score against him.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:10:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 10:57:32 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 8/3/2013 7:35:10 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 8/3/2013 12:28:27 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 8/2/2013 11:31:35 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 8/2/2013 11:03:07 PM, GOP wrote:

3. Incorporate actual quotes from sources in your argument instead of ONLY paraphrasing what the sources say. You should do both quoting and paraphrasing.

Feel free to expound on what I said. Corrections are welcome.

I disagree with that one. I think that you should make your own arguments rather than utilize a quote more than once or twice in an argument. Using quotes is a glorified appeal to authority, and should not be used in lieu of an argument.

I disagree with your disagreement. Many times, what occurs is that the debater misquotes the source. Quoting the source keeps the researcher honest.

For me, whenever I come across a mis-attributed source, I'm tempted to score both conduct AND sources against the guilty party. It's sloppy at best, deceitful at worst.

Just quote. If appeal to authority becomes an issue, take care of it then.

Well, I mean, by all means quote your opponent and you're opponent's source. That makes their errors clearer. However, when I'm reading someone's argument, I much prefer to see what they are arguing, not what someone else is arguing.

While I agree with you here, this is a somewhat different point than what I was making. An example of the point I am making comes from this debate:

http://www.debate.org...

PRO states that "US place [sic] embargo on Hati [sic] for envirnmental [sic] reasons," and cites a source.

The source is crystal clear:

"The President of Haiti (Jean-Bertrand Aristide) was democratically elected on December 16, 1990. However, on September 30, 1991, he was overthrown in a coup d'etat headed by Lieutenant-General Raoul Cedras.(1) As a result of the coup, Raoul Cedras's junta was immediately and strongly condemned by the United Nations (U.N.), Organization of American States (O.A.S.), and United States (U.S.). These three entities later reacted with sanctioning Cedras's action. "

"Sanctions on Haiti seemed to fail outright: Haiti's environment was effected deleteriously; due to a lack of staple goods..."


...i.e., environmental degradation was a RESULT of the sanctions, not the cause, which was due to an illegal coup.

I scored sources against PRO for this misstatement, even though CON did not have significant sources of his own. That I had to actually verify what seemed to be a ridiculous point from PRO caused me to score against him.

You guys are debating about debating.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 1:53:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/2/2013 11:03:07 PM, GOP wrote:
Add on to the list.

Here, I will add some:

1. Use transition words to make the flow of your debate smooth.
2. Point out logical fallacies committed by your opponent.
3. Incorporate actual quotes from sources in your argument instead of ONLY paraphrasing what the sources say. You should do both quoting and paraphrasing.

Feel free to expound on what I said. Corrections are welcome.
Continue.

I'm going to go entirely against points one and two, though wholeheartedly support (3), and it's always my pet peeve when people just paraphrase, mostly because their source may not say what they say it says (I say I say I say).

Transition words makes sentences run on for too long, and by doing this you get sentences which start to repeat their meaning even though you want to make it sound clear and cohesive without sacrificing in the first place the literary merit of your argument and in the second place the nature of an argument where each of the premises interlink and complement each other. They are annoying. I want a break when I read something. I want a leisurely pace which I can read, without losing my point. Instead, one wants discourse markers - markers which make clear the change of tack in your argument through the first word at the beginning of a sentence. This way, you can make clear whether you are elaborating, or moving on, or strengthening, or seeing the other side of the story, or doing anything differently to just continuing to speak. Furthermore, discourse markers in common speech is nice to pull off because it allows us to use rhetorical techniques like varying the volume of your voice.

To be clear: I am not against transition markers per se. I am against sentences running on endlessly, undoubtedly, but transition markers are useful. However, when possible, I try and use a discourse marker instead.

Secondly naming fallacies is futile and a waste of time at best, and at worst you're going to get it wrong. Fallacies are very difficult to pin down when committed, and usually are not fallacies anyway, but just a missing segment of an argument. Enthymemes are common by debaters for example. Instead, one ought to build a powerful case of your own, followed by a criticism of your opponent's case by disproving statistics and making evidence seem dubious, and then go after their arguments proper. In a debate, you want it to be that if your arguments succeed, you must necessarily win. Therefore, building your own rock solid case is most important.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 2:43:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
9. Use pictures sparingly, but still use them. A single picture can often cement an idea into the minds of the voters, better than a thousand words on the subject.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 2:45:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 11:10:57 AM, Magic8000 wrote:
At 8/3/2013 10:57:32 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 8/3/2013 7:35:10 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 8/3/2013 12:28:27 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 8/2/2013 11:31:35 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 8/2/2013 11:03:07 PM, GOP wrote:

3. Incorporate actual quotes from sources in your argument instead of ONLY paraphrasing what the sources say. You should do both quoting and paraphrasing.

Feel free to expound on what I said. Corrections are welcome.

I disagree with that one. I think that you should make your own arguments rather than utilize a quote more than once or twice in an argument. Using quotes is a glorified appeal to authority, and should not be used in lieu of an argument.

I disagree with your disagreement. Many times, what occurs is that the debater misquotes the source. Quoting the source keeps the researcher honest.

For me, whenever I come across a mis-attributed source, I'm tempted to score both conduct AND sources against the guilty party. It's sloppy at best, deceitful at worst.

Just quote. If appeal to authority becomes an issue, take care of it then.

Well, I mean, by all means quote your opponent and you're opponent's source. That makes their errors clearer. However, when I'm reading someone's argument, I much prefer to see what they are arguing, not what someone else is arguing.

While I agree with you here, this is a somewhat different point than what I was making. An example of the point I am making comes from this debate:

http://www.debate.org...

PRO states that "US place [sic] embargo on Hati [sic] for envirnmental [sic] reasons," and cites a source.

The source is crystal clear:

"The President of Haiti (Jean-Bertrand Aristide) was democratically elected on December 16, 1990. However, on September 30, 1991, he was overthrown in a coup d'etat headed by Lieutenant-General Raoul Cedras.(1) As a result of the coup, Raoul Cedras's junta was immediately and strongly condemned by the United Nations (U.N.), Organization of American States (O.A.S.), and United States (U.S.). These three entities later reacted with sanctioning Cedras's action. "

"Sanctions on Haiti seemed to fail outright: Haiti's environment was effected deleteriously; due to a lack of staple goods..."


...i.e., environmental degradation was a RESULT of the sanctions, not the cause, which was due to an illegal coup.

I scored sources against PRO for this misstatement, even though CON did not have significant sources of his own. That I had to actually verify what seemed to be a ridiculous point from PRO caused me to score against him.

You guys are debating about debating.

You are complaining about debating about debating.

I am commenting on complaining about debating about debating.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
GOP
Posts: 453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 4:42:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 2:43:45 PM, Ragnar wrote:
9. Use pictures sparingly, but still use them. A single picture can often cement an idea into the minds of the voters, better than a thousand words on the subject.

At the same time, we must be careful not to have pictures with texts exceeding the actual word limit.
YYW
Posts: 36,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 9:40:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/2/2013 11:03:07 PM, GOP wrote:
Add on to the list.

Here, I will add some:

1. Use transition words to make the flow of your debate smooth.

Stylistically good, but not so much a technique.

2. Point out logical fallacies committed by your opponent.

Not a technique, because merely stating fallacious logic is insufficient for an actual rebuttal.

3. Incorporate actual quotes from sources in your argument instead of ONLY paraphrasing what the sources say. You should do both quoting and paraphrasing.

Paraphrasing (that is, isolating the central points of the argument) is best especially where there is limited character space unless a quote is indispensable to your rebuttal.

Feel free to expound on what I said. Corrections are welcome.
Continue.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 9:48:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Here's the thing, though, about paraphrasing:

Do it correctly. Get the point of what was said, and use that. Do not misuse sources or evidence... ever. It's stupid and sloppy at best and dishonest at worst. That some may fail to paraphrase correctly does not mean that you shouldn't do it... it means only that you should do it correctly. However, if you have correctly (that is, accurately) paraphrased from a source or from your opponent and your opponent tries to say that you misrepresented him/her or the source, then it is appropriate to incorporate quotes to a length sufficient to establish that you are not in error so that a judge does not get misled by feigned/false pedantry.
Tsar of DDO
Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:03:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 4:49:54 PM, Sargon wrote:
Whenever possible, find some random philosopher's quote that supports your position. Craig style, baby!

If you combine Craig style with Barton style, then it doesn't even have to be from the person you're quoting.

"Magic8000 is the most awesome, handsome, smartest being ever. Truly, a god among men" -Richard Swinburne

"I stole everything from Magic8000" - Nikola Tesla
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
YYW
Posts: 36,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 10:10:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/3/2013 9:45:22 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Semantics.
Fact-bombing.
Play to the audience.
You're gold.

*vomits*
Tsar of DDO
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:05:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
10. Troll... Which really needs to be it's own sub listing, with bullet points on methods to do it.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...