Jump to topic:

Forfeiting

KMKelleher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 4:20:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I joined about a week ago and so far all three debates I've been a part of have ended with the opponent forfeiting. Is this something I need to get used to or is this relatively uncommon?
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 4:23:52 PM
It's pretty common among noobs, but less so among regular members here.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 4:24:27 PM
Yeah it happens pretty frequently. Some debaters accept the debate without really being prepared (or committed) to debating it.

A couple things you can do:

1) Change the settings on who can accept the debates. Change it so that someone with more experience, so whoever accepts it is less likely to FF.

2) Look to challenge specific members to debates, rather than opening them up for everyone in the challenge period debates.

While either of these methods aren't guaranteed to avoid the issue, they should help.

Also, even if someone does FF a debate, you'll get the win and you can always try it again.
Debate.org Moderator
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 4:29:44 PM
You can start going after tougher opponents.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Freddy44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 4:30:28 PM
I'm quite new to this myself, and I don't understand why the fact that my opponent has forfeited makes the whole debate freeze like it did in this one: http://www.debate.org...

Could we at least get a closure where it either gets deleted, sent to voting or something like that? All we have now is a debate that is just hanging there with the message that it hasn't been "updated" yet and that I should check back in a "few minutes" (it has been nearly 48 hours on this one) for more options...
Everything was impossible until someone did it...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 4:47:29 PM
Yeah, this is something we've all had to go through. My recommendation is to hang out in the forums more, and when you disagree with someone on something, just challenge them to a debate on them. Also, join tourneys whenever you can. Those debaters are usually serious enough not to forfeit.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 4:48:48 PM
At 8/4/2013 4:30:28 PM, Freddy44 wrote:
I'm quite new to this myself, and I don't understand why the fact that my opponent has forfeited makes the whole debate freeze like it did in this one: http://www.debate.org...

Could we at least get a closure where it either gets deleted, sent to voting or something like that? All we have now is a debate that is just hanging there with the message that it hasn't been "updated" yet and that I should check back in a "few minutes" (it has been nearly 48 hours on this one) for more options...

It's a bug that has been happening somewhat frequently lately. It'll get fixed in the near future.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 4:50:28 PM
At 8/4/2013 4:47:29 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Yeah, this is something we've all had to go through. My recommendation is to hang out in the forums more, and when you disagree with someone on something, just challenge them to a debate on them. Also, join tourneys whenever you can. Those debaters are usually serious enough not to forfeit.

Yeah, this is good advice.

It seems a lot of debaters have a hard time following through with debates, but those who are pretty active in the forums, or hold a particularly strong position on something, or have been around DDO for longer, generally finish their debates.
Debate.org Moderator
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 6:51:03 PM
One thing I've taken to doing, is having people apply in the comments. In addition to other benefits, they have to login at least twice to accept.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 6:55:54 PM
At 8/4/2013 6:51:03 PM, Ragnar wrote:
One thing I've taken to doing, is having people apply in the comments. In addition to other benefits, they have to login at least twice to accept.

Yeah, this is a reasonable approach to it, and I think more members are doing this now.
Debate.org Moderator
Freddy44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 7:53:44 AM
At 8/4/2013 7:36:50 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Some of us have real lives and sometimes debating falls by the wayside... lol

Understood... It's still annoying though...
Everything was impossible until someone did it...
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 11:15:03 AM

Still, you made a commitment, and it is disrespectful not to follow through.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 12:26:29 PM
At 8/5/2013 11:15:03 AM, DanT wrote:

But in the grand scheme of life your commitment to DDO probably comes behind some bigger commitments in real life. So if you have to choose between commitments, debating probably isn't going to trump very many life decisions.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 10:19:48 PM
At 8/5/2013 12:26:29 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

But in the grand scheme of life your commitment to DDO probably comes behind some bigger commitments in real life. So if you have to choose between commitments, debating probably isn't going to trump very many life decisions.

That is not the point. You should not commit to something if you cannot follow through on that commitment. If you are too busy, don't commit in the first place.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 10:22:05 PM
At 8/5/2013 10:19:48 PM, DanT wrote:
At 8/5/2013 12:26:29 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

That is not the point. You should not commit to something if you cannot follow through on that commitment. If you are too busy, don't commit in the first place.

yeah yeah whatever.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 12:43:38 AM
At 8/4/2013 4:48:48 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 8/4/2013 4:30:28 PM, Freddy44 wrote:

It's a bug that has been happening somewhat frequently lately. It'll get fixed in the near future.

same happened with my last debate

http://www.debate.org...