Jump to topic:

Debate.org as an App

Saoirse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 2:07:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Debate.org should have a presence on the Android Market. There should be an app on the Android Market.
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 2:28:33 PM
At 8/10/2013 2:07:21 PM, Saoirse wrote:
Debate.org should have a presence on the Android Market. There should be an app on the Android Market.

This has been suggested time and time again and there have been many fora in this vein. General consensus seems to be that there is a market for it, though it doesn't appear to be a priority for Juggle. The site is, however, perfectly functional in the Android browser, for forum posts and general browsing anyway.
I'm back (ish).
Saoirse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 2:40:00 PM
I understand that. But a browser, though enough, is not where we have to stop. With an app, membership would increase drastically. Moreover, existing and new members would be able to follow forums and debates directly without having to go through the emails. I know this all has probably been said before but that is all the more reason to act. I did not mean to imply that the site was not functional, only that in the words of Jason Skidd "There is always room for improvement"
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 3:13:16 PM
In Windows Phone 8 you can pin the site as a tile and it works just like an app
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Saoirse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 3:19:33 PM
I won't contest that but more people own Android phones as compared to Windows 8. All I want to emphasize is that it is high time to expand. There is a market for it and it would only be for the better. There is just no harm in doing it. It would also promote debating and be a financial help simultaneously.
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 3:41:48 PM
At 8/10/2013 2:40:00 PM, Saoirse wrote:
I understand that. But a browser, though enough, is not where we have to stop. With an app, membership would increase drastically. Moreover, existing and new members would be able to follow forums and debates directly without having to go through the emails. I know this all has probably been said before but that is all the more reason to act. I did not mean to imply that the site was not functional, only that in the words of Jason Skidd "There is always room for improvement"

With all the due respect in the world, someone who only joined the site a few days ago it's unlikely to be able to lead a revolution which Juggle will listen to. I get the impression they barely listen to Airmax.
I'm back (ish).
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 3:52:15 PM
A top member whose name I forgot pitched the idea and even stated he'd start developing the app, but Juggle would not have any of it. So... :(
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 4:12:08 PM
At 8/10/2013 3:41:48 PM, orangemayhem wrote:
At 8/10/2013 2:40:00 PM, Saoirse wrote:

With all the due respect in the world, someone who only joined the site a few days ago it's unlikely to be able to lead a revolution which Juggle will listen to. I get the impression they barely listen to Airmax.

Your impression would be incorrect. If it is suggesting that if I were to recommend that they make a DDO app that they wouldn't immediately go ahead and make one, that would be accurate.
Debate.org Moderator
Saoirse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 4:16:48 PM
Well Juggle needs to take a good look at the idea and realize it's potential. If they really have a genuine concern, then I would be more than willing to withdraw my request if they would only tell me.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 4:21:21 PM
At 8/10/2013 4:16:48 PM, Saoirse wrote:
Well Juggle needs to take a good look at the idea and realize it's potential. If they really have a genuine concern, then I would be more than willing to withdraw my request if they would only tell me.

I don't think there is any concern with the idea, and I doubt that Juggle hasn't considered it. Everything needs to be evaluated based on a cost-benefit perspective, and while I'm sure there are good reasons to do this, it may just not be a high priority right now.

Nonetheless, it's an interesting and potentially beneficial idea and it will be legitimately considered.
Debate.org Moderator
Saoirse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 4:22:46 PM
As a person who joined only a while ago, my first reaction on discovering the site was to search for it's corresponding app on the Android Market. This would be the reaction of any newcomers and I feel that they need not feel the disappointment I did on discovering that it just doesn't exist.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 4:35:13 PM
From what I understand, Juggle doesn't have to be behind the development. A member who knows app development can just get the go ahead from Juggle.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 4:37:10 PM
This isn't a revolutionary or new idea. It's been proposed, and has a distinct lack of support and concern.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 4:37:40 PM
I would love for there to be better mobile formatting options. If I want bold text and all that fancy stuff, I have to do the HTML codes, which is a bit annoying.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Saoirse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 4:41:09 PM
I never wished to imply that Juggle did not consider the idea and I would like to apologize if I ever gave that impression. I only felt that it was a good idea and I also gave the cost effectiveness a look. Though my knowledge and understanding of money flow is extremely limited, I understand that a free app with a large number of downloaders will make a handsome living out of advertisements and paid apps would obviously prosper. As my esteemed fellow debaters was so quick to point out, many a members have presented this idea, including atleast one senior member that I know of, surely this can be brought a little higher above the priority list. I understand that Juggle has more pressing matters before it but at least a little higher?
Saoirse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 4:43:21 PM
I never wished to imply that Juggle did not consider the idea and I would like to apologize if I ever gave that impression. I only felt that it was a good idea and I also considered the cost effectiveness of the concept, if only briefly. Though my knowledge and understanding of money flow is extremely limited, I understand that a free app with a large number of downloaders will make a handsome living out of advertisements and paid apps would obviously prosper. As my esteemed fellow debaters was so quick to point out, many a members have presented this idea, including atleast one senior member that I know of, surely this can be brought a little higher above the priority list. I understand that Juggle has more pressing matters before it but at least a little higher?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 4:43:43 PM
Also, why is iOS left out of the party? :(
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 4:49:28 PM
At 8/10/2013 2:28:33 PM, orangemayhem wrote:

This has been suggested time and time again and there have been many fora in this vein. General consensus seems to be that there is a market for it, though it doesn't appear to be a priority for Juggle. The site is, however, perfectly functional in the Android browser, for forum posts and general browsing anyway.

Markets imply sales. Tell me what Juggle sells to us, and when you get an answer, you'll get closer to the possibility of there being an app.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 5:44:19 PM
At 8/10/2013 3:52:15 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
A top member whose name I forgot pitched the idea and even stated he'd start developing the app, but Juggle would not have any of it. So... :(

ClassicRobert.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 5:48:50 PM
A mobile app would be cool. Ultimately I think Juggle is working to meet some of our other wants right now. There are certain updates that take priority to this that I think people are looking forward to/ hoping for, making an APP would be cool. But anyone can make an APP for this site. There my be copy right issues, though.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 7:52:38 PM
At 8/10/2013 2:28:33 PM, orangemayhem wrote:

No it isn't. It's basically unusable on the phone since they introduced the new top banner.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...