Jump to topic:

Debate.org Role models?

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 6:42:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is there anyone on Debate.org that you look up to or respect for matters of intelligence, fortitude in debate, great arguments in the forums, or them just being a really cool person?

I remember when I first joined the site, my person was LogicalMaster. I remember reading his "santa clause is real" debate and laughing my butt off, and his pokemon debates. I thought he was a fantastic debater, and a cool person as well. Back then he was #1 on the leader board, and was revered as the best debater anyway. He was also the one who introduced mafia on this site, etc. I don't know why, but I thought he was the sh1t lol.

If you would have told me that one day I would be right under him on the leader board, I would have laughed and said that is probably not true.

Who knew :P

http://www.debate.org...
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 6:47:54 PM
Ragnar Rahl too. I remember staying up all night talking to him on the old DDO chat site that askbob created, and got to know him pretty well. To be honest, a lot of the conversation I had with him resulted in the change of my beliefs. He was asking me about my religion and political beliefs, and he did something that no one had ever done with me before. I was used to people just flat out telling me I was wrong, which would kick up my pride and determination to find a new argument to everything they said. But he had asked me a series of questions, and sort of got me to take a different look at my beliefs. He did it in a way that wasn't bashing me or my beliefs, but made a strong point in doing so.

While I stayed in my beliefs for a few years, the questions he posed always struck me whenever I thought about them. Eventually I basically just reformed all my beliefs, because they just weren't making any sense to me.

Ragnar Rahl is a very smart person, and I thank him for that conversation lol.
thg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 7:49:42 PM
At 8/10/2013 6:47:54 PM, TUF wrote:
Ragnar Rahl too. I remember staying up all night talking to him on the old DDO chat site that askbob created, and got to know him pretty well. To be honest, a lot of the conversation I had with him resulted in the change of my beliefs. He was asking me about my religion and political beliefs, and he did something that no one had ever done with me before. I was used to people just flat out telling me I was wrong, which would kick up my pride and determination to find a new argument to everything they said. But he had asked me a series of questions, and sort of got me to take a different look at my beliefs. He did it in a way that wasn't bashing me or my beliefs, but made a strong point in doing so.

While I stayed in my beliefs for a few years, the questions he posed always struck me whenever I thought about them. Eventually I basically just reformed all my beliefs, because they just weren't making any sense to me.

Ragnar Rahl is a very smart person, and I thank him for that conversation lol.

I can attest to TUF's contention that calm and patient questioning has worked its wonders on me through the years far better than rude, sarcastic stabs. TUF describes several heroes of calm persuasion in my life, including several teachers, friends, and, especially, my parents. I wish I were more like them, both in debates as well as in life.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 8:07:46 PM
This person has a very good understanding of people, and is one of the few who have rarely been in conflicts with others. By "conflict," I don't mean the positive kind of respectful disagreement of which I am sure he had plenty. However, he never escalates them into all-out brawls of meaninglessness. He gets along with almost everyone, including people who most others don't get along with and often acts as a mediator. He also has a good sense of humor and the ability to relate to people which makes him a very congenial person to have around. This member is generally averse to insults and always assumes the best in others as opposed to making poor assumptions which is unfortunately all too common among humans. He is a competent debater and voter often showing genuine understanding of the debate. I think that many - including me - are not without flaws, and tend to make regrettable comments in the heat of the moment although this person is one of the few who is almost always composed and calm.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 8:12:52 PM
At 8/10/2013 8:07:46 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
This person has a very good understanding of people, and is one of the few who have rarely been in conflicts with others. By "conflict," I don't mean the positive kind of respectful disagreement of which I am sure he had plenty. However, he never escalates them into all-out brawls of meaninglessness. He gets along with almost everyone, including people who most others don't get along with and often acts as a mediator. He also has a good sense of humor and the ability to relate to people which makes him a very congenial person to have around. This member is generally averse to insults and always assumes the best in others as opposed to making poor assumptions which is unfortunately all too common among humans. He is a competent debater and voter often showing genuine understanding of the debate. I think that many - including me - are not without flaws, and tend to make regrettable comments in the heat of the moment although this person is one of the few who is almost always composed and calm.

Airmax loves you too.

My role model was actually Buddamoose. It was because I think he was either the mod of the beginners mafia game, or the experienced player.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 8:20:16 PM
At 8/10/2013 8:15:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
He was probably talking about Roy, dude...

meh, maybe not. I personally think pretty much all of you are tremendously stupid, Kleptin being the only really respectable person here in most regards, Danielle a powerhouse intellect though not without her decrepit humanity.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 8:21:53 PM
Ok, maybe I'm just a little bit frustrated. There are quite a few of you who are pretty cool.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 8:32:27 PM

Airmax would fit this description yes.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 8:33:31 PM
BlackVoid would too.

BlackVoid is personally one of my favorite people on this site :) I respect him both as a deabter, a really cool guy, and great at mafia (though he unfortunately doesn't play anymore).
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 9:14:48 PM
Two people I looked up to intellectually when I first joined (and still do) were Roy and CirRk. CirRk unfortunately doesnt seem to be around any more, but he never failed to wow me with his arguments and Roy still impresses me with his arguments, I'm pretty sure I've only voted him down once to a debater thats taken the place of cirRk as my debate idol (Raisor).
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 9:23:32 PM
At 8/10/2013 9:14:48 PM, thett3 wrote:
Two people I looked up to intellectually when I first joined (and still do) were Roy and CirRk. CirRk unfortunately doesnt seem to be around any more, but he never failed to wow me with his arguments and Roy still impresses me with his arguments, I'm pretty sure I've only voted him down once to a debater thats taken the place of cirRk as my debate idol (Raisor).

Also, I'm a moron because it's spelled CiRrk
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 9:32:14 PM
I look up to a few people.

First one to mind would be thett. He never is antagonistic, presumptuous, or rude, and is intellectually honest and not afraid to admit to any intellectual shortcoming he might have (eg, being unfamiliar with a topic). He's a respectful guy, and actually seems to care about how he affects others, too.

I also look up to Noumena, even if he IS a bum sometimes, lol. But seriously, he's definitely an intellectual, but USUALLY isn't too ego-stroking about it. He doesn't scoff at any stupid lay questions when it comes to philosophy (yes, I once asked him what "normative," meant exactly). In short, he's a role model in that he has a balance between intellectualism and layspeak.

I look up to YYW greatly, too. He's a guy who really has been very open to me personally to chat about things like writing techniques, etc. He isn't afraid to say what he needs to say, something I find really admirable. But he's always respectful when there's no reason to not be.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 9:41:17 PM

Bladerunner? If so, I agree.
Tsar of DDO
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 9:44:06 PM
At 8/10/2013 8:33:31 PM, TUF wrote:
BlackVoid would too.

BlackVoid is personally one of my favorite people on this site :) I respect him both as a deabter, a really cool guy, and great at mafia (though he unfortunately doesn't play anymore).

<3 I love you too, TUF.

As far as debating, I'm going with Bluesteel. His ability to whip out insane amounts of evidence on every topic out of nowhere has always been unbelievable. It seems like every debate he did he had at least 5 meta-studies supporting his side and 15 statistics that crush the opposition.

Lickdafoot, back when she was here, was someone I respected because of her ability to relate to any kind of person. Despite the huge variety of personalities that exists on this site, there wasn't a single person that didn't like her, and I expect the same is true for her irl. Appealing to so many people isn't easy to do.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 9:45:19 PM
At 8/10/2013 9:14:48 PM, thett3 wrote:

I went toe to toe with CiRrK on something one time and it was one of the best debates I ever participated in even though I think I lost pretty badly. Same with Roy as well
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 9:45:42 PM

Now I feel bad for not writing such a great post about you :/
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 9:47:53 PM
At 8/10/2013 9:45:42 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

Lolol.

But really, seeing all the people others admire makes me want to expand my own list, but it would just be too long (and definitely include both of you). I respect and look up to in some way pretty much everyone I know here
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 9:47:56 PM
I care a lot more about someone's being a generally good person than I care about how good they are at debating. That is not, of course, to discount the debating ability of any of the people I'm about to list so much as it is to stress why I am choosing who I am.

In no particular order:

Bladerunner
Airmax

Both of these guys are just fantastic as people, as leaders on the site and that is evident by both their public presence and how they are in private messages, on Facebook, and in IC conversations. They are both interesting to talk to, personable, extremely likable, sharp, and morally upright. I've had my share of disagreements with both of them, to varying degrees, but these are two dudes who I personally consider to be role models on DDO. I'm betting they are in life too.
Tsar of DDO
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2013 9:50:44 PM
At 8/10/2013 9:47:53 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/10/2013 9:45:42 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

Lolol.

But really, seeing all the people others admire makes me want to expand my own list, but it would just be too long (and definitely include both of you). I respect and look up to in some way pretty much everyone I know here

Yeah, there's a bunch more people that I could list too, but I'm not up for writing 8000 characters atm.
FrackJack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 7:35:08 PM
Anti-Atheist.

loljk.

TUF and Rational_Thinker are role models even though half the things they say go over my head.
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 5:26:10 PM
When I first joined it was Imabench and Roy. That combo makes it more relaxed but a powerful couple on DDO.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~