Jump to topic:

Team Debates

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 5:04:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There has been much discussion about Team Debates recently and how they should be implemented as a new site feature. While Juggle will continue to work on new features that the site membership wants, there are many aspects of this that still need to be worked out. Team Debates are not something that can be implemented into the site quickly, and the details of how exactly they will function still needs to be worked out.

In the interim, we'd like to gauge member interest in the collaborative debating process, assess the concept and allow some type of team debating to be possible while the project is being worked on.

To that end, we have created two special accounts that can be used for this purpose. While this possibility has been around for awhile now for members who were interested, there was generally an actual lack of interest.

Thanks to Bladerunner and Rrros we now have a Team Debate that is in process:

http://www.debate.org...

This debate involves Rross and Wrichcirw on one side, with Bladerunner060 and xXCryptoXx on the other.

These accounts (Team_X, Team_Y) will only be accessible by Bladerunner060 and Rross for the sake of Team Debates, and they will 'captain' any debates involving them. If any member wants to do a Team Debate following the conclusion of the current one, feel free to use this thread to sign up for a future Team Debate, or contact Rross or Bladerunner060 directly to let them know you are interested in participating in a team debate.

I'd like to thank Bladerunner060 and Rross for helping on this project, and I hope that members will be enthusiastic about doing Team Debates in this fashion, so that we can gauge interest in collaborative debating in general, and work out the details on how this can work in a more formal way in the future.
Debate.org Moderator
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 8:14:43 PM
Sweet, so we can create hyrda accounts like in mafia, to do these?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 8:19:00 PM
At 8/11/2013 8:14:43 PM, TUF wrote:
Sweet, so we can create hyrda accounts like in mafia, to do these?

No. As said in the OP, contact Bladerunner or Rross or sign up in this thread if you are interested in doing one of these.

If interest is large enough I'll consider creating more accounts like these so we can do them simultaneously and more frequently.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 9:01:22 PM
At 8/11/2013 8:54:20 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
How many people to a team?

Depends on how many are interested. The current debate is a 2 vs. 2.

I think 3 vs. 3 would probably be ideal and prevent it from being too many people while still allowing for an interesting collaborative debating experience.

Really it's hard to say what works best, so that's part of the point of doing this as we can see what works.
Debate.org Moderator
RocketEngineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 9:01:35 PM
I'll do a team debate. Who wants to be on my team? I want to debate the following, and will take either side. "Julia Charlene Merfeld should go to prison."
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 10:01:10 PM
At 8/11/2013 9:26:34 PM, MassiveDump wrote:

And I'm just going to sandwich my way in there... nice and snug,
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 10:14:01 PM
At 8/11/2013 10:01:10 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

OK good. How about this?

You three pick a resolution between you (assuming that MassiveDump can indeed speak for Imabench).

We put the resolution up here, and then people can sign up for the other side.

I'm happy to coordinate the team, which would mean maybe putting up round 1, and then just posting your arguments as they come.

My conditions are these: no vagina jokes or descriptions. If that's too onerous, you'll have to go with bladerunner060.

Just confirm on this thread if that's OK with you.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 10:27:12 PM
At 8/11/2013 10:14:01 PM, rross wrote:

OK good. How about this?

You three pick a resolution between you (assuming that MassiveDump can indeed speak for Imabench).

I'm happy to coordinate the team, which would mean maybe putting up round 1, and then just posting your arguments as they come.

My conditions are these: no vagina jokes or descriptions. If that's too onerous, you'll have to go with bladerunner060.

Actually - sorry. Forget all that. Should probably wait for bladerunner060 to say something first. He might have other plans.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 10:34:13 PM

oh lordy, rofl...=)
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 10:38:10 PM
Yo Airmax, are we allowed to create our own teams or do they have to be moderated by rross and Bladerunner?

Also, can we put 4 to a team? A team should require four teammates max because that means each one of us can post an argument on 5 round debates, assuming first round is for acceptance. This also allows teammates to take a break from debates for shorter round debates.

4 players would be ideal, especially because I already planned on creating a team with Me, ClassicRobert, MassiveDump, and imabench.
Nolite Timere
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 10:41:21 PM
At 8/11/2013 10:38:10 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Yo Airmax, are we allowed to create our own teams or do they have to be moderated by rross and Bladerunner?

Also, can we put 4 to a team? A team should require four teammates max because that means each one of us can post an argument on 5 round debates, assuming first round is for acceptance. This also allows teammates to take a break from debates for shorter round debates.

4 players would be ideal, especially because I already planned on creating a team with Me, ClassicRobert, MassiveDump, and imabench.

Or one teammate per round of debate, omitting acceptance.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 10:43:42 PM

Right now there are only 2 team debate accounts, so you're stuck with making sure rross and myself are cool with being involved. That said, while we have to make sure nothing outside the bounds gets posted, we don't necessarily have to participate...and i think we're both invested enough in the concept that you could probably convince us pretty easily to be the captain without participatin'.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 10:44:44 PM
At 8/11/2013 10:27:12 PM, rross wrote:

OK good. How about this?

Actually - sorry. Forget all that. Should probably wait for bladerunner060 to say something first. He might have other plans.

To be fair, there's nothing inherently wrong with vagina descriptions. Why, what if the subject of Toxic Shock Syndrome comes up and has to be explained?
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 10:54:00 PM
At 8/11/2013 10:44:44 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 8/11/2013 10:27:12 PM, rross wrote:

OK good. How about this?

To be fair, there's nothing inherently wrong with vagina descriptions. Why, what if the subject of Toxic Shock Syndrome comes up and has to be explained?

Toxic Shock Syndrome can be explained without describing a vagina. I'm surprised you would think it necessary. But yes, I suppose, exceptions to the rule are possible.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 10:55:02 PM
At 8/11/2013 10:43:42 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Right now there are only 2 team debate accounts, so you're stuck with making sure rross and myself are cool with being involved. That said, while we have to make sure nothing outside the bounds gets posted, we don't necessarily have to participate...and i think we're both invested enough in the concept that you could probably convince us pretty easily to be the captain without participatin'.

I'm really talking about the future of team debates.
Nolite Timere
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 10:56:11 PM

If by create your own teams you mean create new accounts for this, then no.

However as Bladerunner said, while either him or Rross will need to be involved, at this stage there is nothing preventing you from forming a specific team and contacting either of them to moderate the debate. In other words, if you find 3 others that are interested in doing a team debate on your side (but don't want Bladerunner to contribute), you can contact Bladerunner who will coordinate the debate and post your rounds as your group requests.

The details of the debates will be determined by those involved and the interest in doing these types of debates. If there are enough interested members that allows for 4 per side that would be perfectly fine, but it's up to those participants.

If the 4 of you already agree to this and would like to do a team debate next, that would be great. BladeRunner will facilitate this and Rross will also be willing to as well.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 10:58:50 PM
At 8/11/2013 10:55:02 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

So are you actually interested in doing the team debate described in the previous post, or was that some hypothetical when/if formal team debates eventually happen?
Debate.org Moderator
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 11:09:04 PM
At 8/11/2013 10:56:11 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

However as Bladerunner said, while either him or Rross will need to be involved, at this stage there is nothing preventing you from forming a specific team and contacting either of them to moderate the debate. In other words, if you find 3 others that are interested in doing a team debate on your side (but don't want Bladerunner to contribute), you can contact Bladerunner who will coordinate the debate and post your rounds as your group requests.

The details of the debates will be determined by those involved and the interest in doing these types of debates. If there are enough interested members that allows for 4 per side that would be perfectly fine, but it's up to those participants.

If the 4 of you already agree to this and would like to do a team debate next, that would be great. BladeRunner will facilitate this and Rross will also be willing to as well.

Yes, all four of us already agreed to be on the team, and we are quite excited to make a team together. This will also be our own. legitimate team. I will be the one who has access to the account.
Nolite Timere
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 11:09:05 PM

Yeah. This is just an experiment to see what team debates would be like, if they're possible, any potential problems.

Personally, I just want to see a few team debates completed, that's all. I don't really care who's in them or what they're about. Just because it's difficult to discuss how the formatting should be without having done some.

So it would be good to try a few different models : 3x3, maybe 4x4, different sorts of people etc.

But nobody's suggesting that this debate moderation is a good model long term. I'm actually kind of surprised to find myself in this role - but whatever. It's only very temporary.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 11:10:00 PM
At 8/11/2013 10:58:50 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

So are you actually interested in doing the team debate described in the previous post, or was that some hypothetical when/if formal team debates eventually happen?

We want to do team debates and we have already planned our team. I was just wondering when actual formal debates and teams start happening so that we can make our team and start debating.
Nolite Timere
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 11:11:52 PM
At 8/11/2013 10:54:00 PM, rross wrote:

Toxic Shock Syndrome can be explained without describing a vagina. I'm surprised you would think it necessary. But yes, I suppose, exceptions to the rule are possible.

You're right, though it depends on who you're explaining it to, and what basic concepts they understand. I was also kidding...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2013 11:13:19 PM
At 8/11/2013 11:09:04 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 8/11/2013 10:56:11 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Yes, all four of us already agreed to be on the team, and we are quite excited to make a team together. This will also be our own. legitimate team. I will be the one who has access to the account.

As much as I understand your desire to do this, members will not be allowed to create accounts for this purpose.

You can do as many team debates as you like with the members of your choosing, within the given parameters of this current design iteration of team debates.

Based on the amount of interest, we may consider making more account for this purpose so that more debates can be done at one time.
Debate.org Moderator