Jump to topic:

ELO issues

GOP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2013 9:28:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
You know how people have 3000+ ELO points?

This can be a problematic reflection of peoples' levels. There are people with 3000+ ELO points because they debated those who were legitimately strong, and those who just noon-sniped their way through.

Is there a way to fix this problem?
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2013 9:49:20 PM
PM... nac
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2013 11:32:26 PM
At 8/12/2013 9:28:04 PM, GOP wrote:

This can be a problematic reflection of peoples' levels. There are people with 3000+ ELO points because they debated those who were legitimately strong, and those who just noon-sniped their way through.

Nope
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2013 11:57:38 PM

It's called "not giving a crap about the ELO and knowing the debater through their debates".
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 8:32:30 PM

ELO is imperfect, no one ever suggests differently. Previously, it done just on number of wins. So that same person that noob-sniped their way through to a 35 - 3 record will appear much higher than someone that is 17 - 11 who only did serious debates with known skilled debaters.

The big difference is, when that newb snipper gets their occasional loss, it will hurt a lot more than the person that does real debates. Also, the formula does have a cap, so through newb-snipping, you can only get so high before you top out (doing real debates has no limit).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 7:20:01 AM
ELO doesn't solve noob sniping. I still do it and slowly my ELO is increasing.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 8:34:06 AM
At 8/14/2013 7:20:01 AM, lannan13 wrote:
ELO doesn't solve noob sniping. I still do it and slowly my ELO is increasing.

lol All I have to do is start a debate by a senior member and win to sh!t a liquidly dump all over their ELO.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 11:08:38 AM
When a debater does a lot of noob sniping he gets a high ELO rating.
When he gets a high ELO rating he believes he is a good debater.
When he believes he is a good debater, he will debate other highly rated debaters.
When he debates other highly rate debaters, he will end up as someone's lunch.
rajun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 11:19:26 AM
At 8/15/2013 11:08:38 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
When a debater does a lot of noob sniping he gets a high ELO rating.
When he gets a high ELO rating he believes he is a good debater.
When he believes he is a good debater, he will debate other highly rated debaters.
When he debates other highly rate debaters, he will end up as someone's lunch.

lol!! and lose those elo pride too...My elo has increased from some 1900 to 2800 in a week but am not giving a da*n about it.
Only cool guys can see this....
rajun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 11:20:25 AM

Do not give a sh*t about those little numbers, friend...I am not. Live your life!
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 11:42:10 AM
I would strongly encourage everyone to take the debate scoring, ELO, Ranking, and the rest as unseriously as possible. None of these are 'mostly' determined by skill or argument; these are granted largely as a result of attracting the most favorable audience for a particular debate.

We should be here for the game, and not the score. The numbers can be manipulated, and are often misleading. 'Who' votes is almost always far more important than 'what' is being voted on. Vainglorious attempts to 'be a good debater' are silly and faintly embarrassing.

Although the name of the site includes the word, "Debate," these contests are not debates as much as they are chatrooms with applause meters. The joy that can be had from sites such as this one comes from the discovery of the occasional novel new argument, sharpening our rhetorical skills, or educating each other about important subjects.

Resolutely ignore all of the head-patting and cheek-pinching. Focus more on the game itself. If you enjoy your time here, you will improve. The rest only matters if.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 10:25:23 AM
At 8/15/2013 11:42:10 AM, DeFool wrote:

Resolutely ignore all of the head-patting and cheek-pinching. Focus more on the game itself. If you enjoy your time here, you will improve. The rest only matters if.

... you care about what is true and want to convince others. Otherwise rationalize your outrageous arguments uniformly rejected with the idea it's all blatant prejudice.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 10:31:31 AM
At 8/16/2013 10:25:23 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

... you care about what is true and want to convince others. Otherwise rationalize your outrageous arguments uniformly rejected with the idea it's all blatant prejudice.

I cannot make out what this means.
rajun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 11:51:10 AM
At 8/16/2013 10:31:31 AM, DeFool wrote:
At 8/16/2013 10:25:23 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

I cannot make out what this means.

lol