The point of debating is..

DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 5:41:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/15/2013 4:25:45 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
To prove that gingers are the superior race.

I support equal rights for gingers.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 5:51:11 PM
At 8/15/2013 4:08:33 PM, GOP wrote:
To find out the truth.

Do you agree with this, or would you add something to it?

Debate has many uses, and can fill many roles. Some of these that are important to me personally are:

1) Debate can create an environment where proponents of different ideas protect their intellectual credibility more than their pride. This is important, because many will admit defeat in defending or advancing an argument in order to protect their overall integrity. Outside of debate, there is almost never an example of anyone ever admitting even the slightest error or the most forgivable ignorance.

2) Formal debate can force participants to acquire a deeper understanding of a complicated subject. Competition motivates. This is true in learning, as well.

3) Debate can test various methods of communicating complex ideas. Often, the ability to sway an audience requires more than research; persuasive presentations are needed. This environment creates an incentive for those who want to communicate these concepts to others to simplify their argument so that they can be learned and communicated by others.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 6:42:53 PM
At 8/15/2013 4:10:13 PM, Bullish wrote:
Practice semantics skills.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 6:44:28 PM
At 8/15/2013 6:43:44 PM, Maikuru wrote:
To win.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ObiWan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 7:02:35 PM
At 8/15/2013 5:51:11 PM, DeFool wrote:
To find out the truth.

Debate has many uses, and can fill many roles. Some of these that are important to me personally are:

1) Debate can create an environment where proponents of different ideas protect their intellectual credibility more than their pride. This is important, because many will admit defeat in defending or advancing an argument in order to protect their overall integrity. Outside of debate, there is almost never an example of anyone ever admitting even the slightest error or the most forgivable ignorance.

THIS!

2) Formal debate can force participants to acquire a deeper understanding of a complicated subject. Competition motivates. This is true in learning, as well.

3) Debate can test various methods of communicating complex ideas. Often, the ability to sway an audience requires more than research; persuasive presentations are needed. This environment creates an incentive for those who want to communicate these concepts to others to simplify their argument so that they can be learned and communicated by others.

For me debating is good communication practise. I often struggle to put the ideas in my head to paper in a logical format, so I like to practise.

Debating is also useful to test ones own belief system. If you believe in something, but can not defend your ideals, then perhaps it is time to re evaluate.
These are not the droids you're looking for.
Irresistable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 9:38:22 PM
At 8/15/2013 9:37:32 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
TO BOOST TEH ELO

...even though the system is still pretty flawed.

I leik ELO.

The 'lo' is supposed to be lowercase. It's not an abbreviation.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 11:11:58 AM
To find out the truth.

I agree.

There are two common models of the purpose. One is that it is game, with the objective to win. The other is to find the truth. These are not necessarily at odds. In the truth-seeking model, the debater wants to win not just to score a victory, but to have the truth prevail. The debate is a limited arena. The best a debater can do is prove that he got closer to the truth than his opponent.

There are many tactics that can be used if the objective is winning and not truth seeking: fog the debate with semantics by pretending something clear is not; raise irrelevant side issues; deliberately misinterpret your opponent; attack premises that you actually believe are true. It's a long list. The truth-seeking model presumes a high level of honesty in debate. People will always fall into fallacies and errors, but in the truth model the errors are not deliberate.
rajun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 11:21:53 AM
To find out the truth.

is nothing...just timepass
Only cool guys can see this....
GOP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 11:22:12 AM
At 8/16/2013 11:21:53 AM, rajun wrote:
To find out the truth.

LOL.
rajun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 11:23:57 AM
At 8/16/2013 11:22:12 AM, GOP wrote:
At 8/16/2013 11:21:53 AM, rajun wrote:
To find out the truth.

LOL.

at least in this site...
Only cool guys can see this....
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 11:52:41 AM
"Winning" debates here cannot be the goal. If it were, there are many ways to game the system, including voting alliances, multiple accounts, "noob-sniping," and other non-rhetorical strategies.

These debates garner only votes/applause - and this must not become a source of pride for the serious players themselves. (We may use those who obviously place too high stock in their 'scoring' as a faintly embarrassing reminder of what this looks like.)

I am not arguing that the ELO, etc., is not a valid source of amusement; it is a video game high score that can be difficult to achieve. Only that this should be far less satisfying than the other benefits of the game - as it represents the "play area" of the site.

I hold to the idea that it is very acceptable to be outscored, and to improve one's understanding of, and ability to communicate, an idea then to 'win.' I would rather live as a "sad Socrates" then a "happy fool."
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 10:47:22 AM
To find out the truth.

I don't think there is any THE point of debating. Different people debate for different reasons. Some do it to persuade others. Some do it for sport and entertainment. Some do it to pick other people's brains and subject their own views to scrutiny (kind of a peer review process). Etc.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:15:58 AM
To piss people off. It's fun.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.