Jump to topic:

Debate of the Week

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 7:31:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Everyone else has pet proposals so I thought I would add mine.

I would like to see a "Debate of the Week" thread that picks out one quality debate to be the subject of discussion. The first post of thread would just be a link to the debate with the participants and Resolution, with a new thread posted every week.

The goals I see this serving:

1) A chance for members to be a part of a high profile debate and get intense feedback on their effort.
2) Motivation for those members who don't vote as often as they think they should to participate in adjudication.
3) Develop a broader understanding of how people read and evaluate debates.
4) Encourage discussion of argumentative tactics and style
5) Create a communal focal point for the debate side of the website
6) Gather interest around Resolutions that aren't hot-button topics that typically draw high vote counts
7) Act as additional incentive to put out high-quality arguments

Practically I think this would function by just having an informal moderator who posts the thread each week. People can PM suggestions throughout the week and on a given day posts the new thread. The goal would be to pick quality debates with an eye toward variety of members and topics.

I see a lot of these types of discussions happening in the comments of certain debates. That's great, but I think it would be of value to bring these discussions to a wider audience as well.

Anyways, if this seems worthwhile then add in your two cents.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 8:56:51 PM
At 8/25/2013 7:31:35 PM, Raisor wrote:
Everyone else has pet proposals so I thought I would add mine.

I would like to see a "Debate of the Week" thread that picks out one quality debate to be the subject of discussion. The first post of thread would just be a link to the debate with the participants and Resolution, with a new thread posted every week.

The goals I see this serving:

1) A chance for members to be a part of a high profile debate and get intense feedback on their effort.
2) Motivation for those members who don't vote as often as they think they should to participate in adjudication.
3) Develop a broader understanding of how people read and evaluate debates.
4) Encourage discussion of argumentative tactics and style
5) Create a communal focal point for the debate side of the website
6) Gather interest around Resolutions that aren't hot-button topics that typically draw high vote counts
7) Act as additional incentive to put out high-quality arguments

Practically I think this would function by just having an informal moderator who posts the thread each week. People can PM suggestions throughout the week and on a given day posts the new thread. The goal would be to pick quality debates with an eye toward variety of members and topics.

I see a lot of these types of discussions happening in the comments of certain debates. That's great, but I think it would be of value to bring these discussions to a wider audience as well.

Anyways, if this seems worthwhile then add in your two cents.

Well, get to it.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 4:22:53 PM
This is a great idea. Would the debates be in voting or post-voting stages?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 4:26:48 PM
Does the Weekly Win mean nothing to you peasants?????
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 6:21:02 PM
At 8/26/2013 4:22:53 PM, bsh1 wrote:
This is a great idea. Would the debates be in voting or post-voting stages?

Voting.

This would give people more incentive to write good rfd's and discussion, would help solve the low voter turnout problem, etc.
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 9:02:27 PM
I'm going to slowly creep back on to the forums and hope nobody shoots me, just to offer my experience. I've been hanging around mostly because one user has been delaying a challenge for a tournament all this time, but if anyone uses this as an excuse to bring up any of the false and slanderous things that were said about me last time, I promise I'll just disappoint him and leave right now.

I actually tried exactly this via DDO Blogspot for my weekly series, starting about 9 months ago. I kept it going for about 3 months until that blog died. It never garnered a lot of interest compared to voting circles which were all the rave at the time. The biggest problem I had was choosing a debate to feature each week. I deliberately tried to be inclusive of debates from less established members but there were some weeks with many debates worth featuring, and surprisingly enough, some weeks with none. I wish you the best of luck though.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 10:17:13 PM
At 8/26/2013 9:02:27 PM, larztheloser wrote:
I'm going to slowly creep back on to the forums and hope nobody shoots me, just to offer my experience. I've been hanging around mostly because one user has been delaying a challenge for a tournament all this time, but if anyone uses this as an excuse to bring up any of the false and slanderous things that were said about me last time, I promise I'll just disappoint him and leave right now.

I actually tried exactly this via DDO Blogspot for my weekly series, starting about 9 months ago. I kept it going for about 3 months until that blog died. It never garnered a lot of interest compared to voting circles which were all the rave at the time. The biggest problem I had was choosing a debate to feature each week. I deliberately tried to be inclusive of debates from less established members but there were some weeks with many debates worth featuring, and surprisingly enough, some weeks with none. I wish you the best of luck though.

Hopefully keeping it on the forums will keep focus on it.

I might have to start with a few particularly controversial debate to generate some heat.

Too bad royal doesn't have any debates in voting period...