Total Posts:118|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

TUFs voting competition--- OFFICIAL

TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 9:58:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The time has finally come ladies and gentleman, to vote and win great prizes! This is DDOs first ever PRIZED voting competition.

As promised, now is your chance to win some amazing prizes by being a fantastic voter!
I have just walked out of best buy with a brand spanking new IPad mini, that I am willing to give to the websites best voter!

Here is how the prize roster will look.

1st place: 16 Gig black iPad mini, and a DDO voter T-shirt.

2nd place: 4 gig Xbox 360 w controller, free video game, and a DDO voter T-shirt.

3rd place: 50 dollar "spend anywhere" gift card, and a DDO voter T-shirt.

This competition will Stretch from now until the month of October, giving you plenty of time to cast your votes, and compete. I will be keeping tabs of all the votes generated For this competition, and will be judging them myself based on quality content, and quantity. I will announce the winners of this competition first thing October 1st, and will send out prizes immediately.

This is an experiment to create a plethora of quality votes, and if it works, you can expect more competitions in the future with bigger and better prizes.

Remember, you have from now, until September 30th to vote, so start voting! The competition begins now!!!

In order for your vote to count, it must be placed here. Votes determined by forfeits, or concessions will not count in this competition.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 10:33:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/31/2013 10:16:17 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I mean this would set you back a few hundred dollars.

Dude, not to brag but I make a lot of money and have very little expenses. I am not losing out on much at all. And if this has a good turn out, I am willing to give much more away.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 10:44:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'll enter the competition. Are we posting all of our votes to this thread?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 10:54:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/31/2013 10:44:05 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I'll enter the competition. Are we posting all of our votes to this thread?

Yes please.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 5:45:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/1/2013 3:47:00 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
Well TUF doesn't have to pay for housing or food.

Well that's not true
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 4:10:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/1/2013 8:49:17 AM, Raisor wrote:
What the hell do you do for a living?

I love how everyone is acting like I just spent SO much money lol. It really isn't that much. Is everyone here just constantly broke?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 4:26:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/1/2013 4:12:25 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
What car do you drive? I'll take 3 guesses:

1) McLaren-Mercedes
2) BMW
3) Dodge Viper
4) Lamborghini

I'm guessing the Batmobile.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 5:58:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/1/2013 4:10:07 PM, TUF wrote:
At 9/1/2013 8:49:17 AM, Raisor wrote:
What the hell do you do for a living?

I love how everyone is acting like I just spent SO much money lol. It really isn't that much. Is everyone here just constantly broke?

Even if were Steve Jobs himself I wouldn't give out an Ipad mini.
You know why? Because I'd be dead!
kfc
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 5:59:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'll enter.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 6:14:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/1/2013 4:12:25 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
What car do you drive? I'll take 3 guesses:

1) McLaren-Mercedes
2) BMW
3) Dodge Viper
4) Lamborghini

I take the trax. Not having a car or needing a car is part of why I have money.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 6:18:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/1/2013 5:58:32 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 9/1/2013 4:10:07 PM, TUF wrote:
At 9/1/2013 8:49:17 AM, Raisor wrote:
What the hell do you do for a living?

I love how everyone is acting like I just spent SO much money lol. It really isn't that much. Is everyone here just constantly broke?

Even if were Steve Jobs himself I wouldn't give out an Ipad mini.
You know why? Because I'd be dead!

I just watched the Steve jobs movie, and I am offended!!!
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 12:07:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am quite surprised day 1 accrued no votes... Do I need to add another Pad?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 3:21:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/2/2013 12:07:43 AM, TUF wrote:
I am quite surprised day 1 accrued no votes... Do I need to add another Pad?

I will be entering, even if the shipping to New Zealand might get difficult just in case I win. Oh well. Two questions:
1. Can I enter multiple votes?
2. What size(s) do the shirts come in?
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 3:37:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/2/2013 3:21:41 AM, larztheloser wrote:
At 9/2/2013 12:07:43 AM, TUF wrote:
I am quite surprised day 1 accrued no votes... Do I need to add another Pad?

I will be entering, even if the shipping to New Zealand might get difficult just in case I win. Oh well. Two questions:
1. Can I enter multiple votes?

Yeah the point is to do quality and quantity of votes. The more good ones you have the better the chances of winning.

2. What size(s) do the shirts come in?

Whatever size you want.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Raisor
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 10:04:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/2/2013 12:07:43 AM, TUF wrote:
I am quite surprised day 1 accrued no votes... Do I need to add another Pad?

I have been planning to do a good write up of debate of the week. Will submit here as well.
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 2:54:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/2/2013 10:04:35 AM, Raisor wrote:
At 9/2/2013 12:07:43 AM, TUF wrote:
I am quite surprised day 1 accrued no votes... Do I need to add another Pad?

I have been planning to do a good write up of debate of the week. Will submit here as well.

Cool thanks!
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 6:40:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'll make the first submission:

HG vs. Rasior: Ronald Reagan vs. FDR

http://www.debate.org...

Are we supposed to copy the RFD here or just the link?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 6:48:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/31/2013 9:58:13 PM, TUF wrote:
The time has finally come ladies and gentleman, to vote and win great prizes! This is DDOs first ever PRIZED voting competition.

As promised, now is your chance to win some amazing prizes by being a fantastic voter!
I have just walked out of best buy with a brand spanking new IPad mini, that I am willing to give to the websites best voter!

Here is how the prize roster will look.

1st place: 16 Gig black iPad mini, and a DDO voter T-shirt.

2nd place: 4 gig Xbox 360 w controller, free video game, and a DDO voter T-shirt.

3rd place: 50 dollar "spend anywhere" gift card, and a DDO voter T-shirt.

This competition will Stretch from now until the month of October, giving you plenty of time to cast your votes, and compete. I will be keeping tabs of all the votes generated For this competition, and will be judging them myself based on quality content, and quantity. I will announce the winners of this competition first thing October 1st, and will send out prizes immediately.

This is an experiment to create a plethora of quality votes, and if it works, you can expect more competitions in the future with bigger and better prizes.

Remember, you have from now, until September 30th to vote, so start voting! The competition begins now!!!

In order for your vote to count, it must be placed here. Votes determined by forfeits, or concessions will not count in this competition.

Screw first prize! I want second!
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 6:50:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/2/2013 6:40:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
I'll make the first submission:

HG vs. Rasior: Ronald Reagan vs. FDR

http://www.debate.org...

Are we supposed to copy the RFD here or just the link?

Pretty clear ballot. Since the debate was huge and covered a lot, I'll split my RFD into the main issues of the debate.

=Economics=

Pros most important argument (the economic impacts Reagan is famed for) is hard to weigh because he doesn't really tell me *why* Reagan's policies led to the outcomes they did. That is, while I'm told that Apple and lots of other companies rose during Reagan's time in office, and federal revenue increased, I'm not given an explanation why the capital gains tax or other policies caused this. I don't understand from the debate HOW Reagan's policies did this. Compare this to Cons arguments where mostly (except when he laundry lists things FDR did) where he shows FDR did X, which led to this event, for these reasons.

This is a prevailing theme in Pros arguments and one of the main reasons that at the end of the day it's a clear Con win.

I also buy the argument that a lot of Reagan"s successful policies were not brilliant innovations or a triumphant return to small government, but rather policies in line with most economic thought of the time, and that a lot of Reagan"s economic successes were because of Volcker. This doesn"t really speak ill of Reagan so much as it mitigates Pro"s impacts by showing that the same thing would"ve happened under Carter since Reagan just continued many of the status quo policies. I doubt this is actually the case, but in round I"m not given enough to refute it.

The economic impact of the New Deal isn"t really clear, but I think Con makes the argument that FDR saved the system pretty clearly and compellingly. Even if the New Deal was bad, the faith in the system it inspired saved capitalism. Con should"ve shown how other countries like Nazi Germany and the USSR got their horrible system of governance around this same era with pretty similar situations. Banking security is another good argument that is almost completely dropped by Pro.

=Foreign policy=

On the Cold war, I'm somewhat in between. Con shows that the fall of the USSR was partially about to happen, and that Reagan's foreign policy was mostly a continuation of Carter, but this isn't really an argument against Reagan but it does mitigate Pro's impact pretty well. Overall I have the impression that Reagans military policies hastened the end of a rapidly declining power, which was essentially Cons argument at the end anyway.

On the national security front FDR (as he should) clearly comes out on top. I think Con could've done a better job at explaining why an Axis/USSR victory would be bad, but he did a really good job of showing how the way it turned out was good (hegemony) and showing for without FDRs commitment to aid Europe the US would not have entered the war. I have no negatives from entering WWII and a whole lot of positives, so it"s clear who comes out on top here.

=Misc=

Japanese internment is won by Pro, but one bad policy doesn"t even come close to outweighing everything else. I don"t buy Cons argument that we should let FDR off the hook for deferring to the military if we let Reagan off the hook for Iran-Contra when he DIDN"T KNOW about it. Pro also wins the court packing argument, I don"t buy Cons turn (FDR doing something bad and causing other presidents not to try the same thing doesn"t make it a good action) but I don"t have much impact here. Maybe if Pro had explained to me why FDRs corruption makes him a bad president I would have to think harder about my ballot, but in terms of actual results this debate is hands down a Con win.

I really liked Cons use of the savings and loans argument, showing how FDR"s good policies kept the system functional when Reagan screwed up. I know space is an issue, but Con shouldn"t have just laundry listed things that FDR did as much as argued the impact. While some are obvious, like the march of dimes, others such as executive order 8802 and 21st amendment aren"t at all and I don"t know what to make of them. Social security was a wash.

=Conduct=

I vote Con on conduct because a) Pro tried to misconstrue Cons poll on the economic impact of the new deal and b) Pro bizarrely tried to get the conduct point by accusing Con of flouting WWII deaths when really he was countering his ridiculous claim of the cold war being a bigger threat. I just felt it was a really cheap tactic.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 7:20:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
When do we have to post our votes by?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 7:31:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/2/2013 7:20:56 PM, bsh1 wrote:
When do we have to post our votes by?

It says in the OP
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder