Jump to topic:

What is your favorite logical fallacy?

Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:35:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ok, so I have this friend... she is trying to learn about fallacies, and asked me to start a forum post where I could learn them for her - and then explain them later.

Maybe someone has some favorite ones? ;)

My favorite is non sequitur fallacies, because they are so funny. "I didn't get you a stocking stuffer for Christmas because I don't have a severed foot." Or "rehab is for quitters." A non sequitur fallacy happens when the conclusion to an argument has nothing to do with the rest of that argument.

My runner-up is false comparisons. "Math is bad for me, just like pole vaulting is bad for Paula Deen."
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 3:15:59 PM
Argumentum ad populum and argumentum ad auctoritatem.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 3:26:22 PM
At 9/7/2013 3:15:59 PM, Subutai wrote:

These might be pretty popular (pun!) and good to keep in mind.

Ad Populum says that something is accurate because a lot of people say it is. The other one I had to look up. Bing says that it's an argument from authority.

Soooo...... "You will not jump into the lake young lady, I don't care if all of your friends are doing it! Because I said!"

If you come back, can you explain how an appeal to the authority of a popular election is not a fallacy?
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 3:29:12 PM
At 9/7/2013 3:26:22 PM, Beverlee wrote:

Ad Populum says that something is accurate because a lot of people say it is. The other one I had to look up. Bing says that it's an argument from authority.

Soooo...... "You will not jump into the lake young lady, I don't care if all of your friends are doing it! Because I said!"

If you come back, can you explain how an appeal to the authority of a popular election is not a fallacy?

That quote you provided is an a fallacy. You shouldn't jump into the lake because someone said not to - you should not jump into that lake because, well, I don't know what's wrong with it. Also, does not apply when a mother is speaking to a child.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 3:33:00 PM
If by favorite you mean most irritating then I'm going to have to go with ad populum.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 4:33:48 PM
My favorite to call people on is post hoc ergo propter hoc. "It happened after, therefore was caused by."
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 6:16:09 PM
Slippery slopes always annoy me from religious people. My supervisor was trying to convince me that god exists.

"If there are multiple differing viewpoints on religion one has to be right and one has to be wrong. Thus a god must exist because there has to be a being with an objective answer!"

Slippery slope is putting multiple arguments together to come up with a conclusion that isn't necessarily true but presenting that conclusion as fact.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 1:57:03 AM
At 9/7/2013 3:26:22 PM, Beverlee wrote:

A fallacy is a wrong reason for asserting a claim. The claim may be true for separate non-fallacious reasons. "Obama was elected, so he was the best choice for president." is a fallacy. Obama may or may not have been the best choice, but that he was elected only proves he was the popular choice, not the best. (Best by some definition, of course.)
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 2:00:31 AM
I guess my favorite is the fallacy that correlation proves causation, e.g. "Periods of high tax rates have been prosperous, so high tax rates cause prosperity." It's a favorite because it appears on TV more often than pictures of cute kittens.
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 4:47:24 AM
Does anyone know what the God of the Gaps fallacy is? It must be some kind of appeal to ignorance...right? In any case, that's my favorite.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 2:27:33 PM
At 9/8/2013 4:47:24 AM, MysticEgg wrote:
Does anyone know what the God of the Gaps fallacy is? It must be some kind of appeal to ignorance...right? In any case, that's my favorite.

"There is no visible explanation, therefore it was God."
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 2:34:11 PM
Slippery slope fallacy, although it doesnt really count as a formal fallacy... When I don't really care/ am trying to troll I just construct these massive BS link stories (like how if we don't ban fat people from being models the US will lose hegemony and nuclear war will occur in my debate with F16--I lost badly for obvious reasons :P)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Insecurity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 5:30:23 PM
Post hoc ergo propter hoc

2 reasons,

its fun to say at parties.

and its very very common. More than people realize.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 3:10:10 AM
Logical fallacies, for me, are like legos left on the floor of different shapes and sizes which get stepped on. There are some that hurt one's feet more than others, but none I would be so bold as to call my "favorite."
Tsar of DDO
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 5:53:38 PM
I like the fallacy of equivocation the best because lots of jokes rely on it. For example:

1. Lima beans are better than nothing.
2. Nothing is better than pizza.
3. Therefore, lima beans are better than pizza.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 9:51:54 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:35:46 PM, Beverlee wrote:
Ok, so I have this friend... she is trying to learn about fallacies, and asked me to start a forum post where I could learn them for her - and then explain them later.

Maybe someone has some favorite ones? ;)

My favorite is non sequitur fallacies, because they are so funny. "I didn't get you a stocking stuffer for Christmas because I don't have a severed foot." Or "rehab is for quitters." A non sequitur fallacy happens when the conclusion to an argument has nothing to do with the rest of that argument.

My runner-up is false comparisons. "Math is bad for me, just like pole vaulting is bad for Paula Deen."
The fallacy fallacy. That is when you falsely call something a fal;lacy because you disagree, not because it is a fallacy.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 9:53:43 PM
Appeal to Common Sense is a particularly irksome one.

"It's common sense that X and Y should do Z."
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 9:51:36 AM
My favorite is ad hominem. Why? Because people who don't like ad hominem are idiots.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Weiler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 11:52:52 AM
At 9/11/2013 6:17:24 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
The fallacy fallacy.

Fallaception.

I thought that was when the Atlanta football team catches a football thrown by the other team.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2013 6:54:41 PM
At 10/2/2013 11:52:52 AM, Weiler wrote:
At 9/11/2013 6:17:24 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
The fallacy fallacy.

Fallaception.

I thought that was when the Atlanta football team catches a football thrown by the other team.

I see how you did that.