Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

On DDO: "Act your IQ, not your age?"

proglib
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 8:21:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Most of us have heard the expression:

"Act your age, not your IQ" [Or "shoe size," which is less insulting.]

I would like to submit for your consideration that on DDO we have the opposite problem. There are many extremely bright young people (young men, mostly, which may be part of the problem. XD)

What would it be like if, instead of picking on someone you disagree with, and in fact ganging up on them ala Lord of the Flies*, folks acted more in keeping with their triple digit IQs?

* cf. the treatment of leojm on this forum:
http://www.debate.org...

https://www.youtube.com...
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 1:49:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
People who want to attract attention by being obnoxious usually succeed. What's hard to explain is why they think they've accomplished something difficult. Someone said that socializing young men is one of the most difficult problems that any society faces.

Anyway, the best that can be done is to use the "report post" feature to identify every obnoxious personal attack. Not all get deleted, but many do.
Sitara
Posts: 745
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 6:16:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/7/2013 8:21:06 PM, proglib wrote:
Most of us have heard the expression:

"Act your age, not your IQ" [Or "shoe size," which is less insulting.]

I would like to submit for your consideration that on DDO we have the opposite problem. There are many extremely bright young people (young men, mostly, which may be part of the problem. XD)

What would it be like if, instead of picking on someone you disagree with, and in fact ganging up on them ala Lord of the Flies*, folks acted more in keeping with their triple digit IQs?

* cf. the treatment of leojm on this forum:
http://www.debate.org...

https://www.youtube.com...

For the record, my statement was not about that person. I forget who I was addressing.
proglib
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 8:25:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/8/2013 6:16:12 AM, Sitara wrote:
At 9/7/2013 8:21:06 PM, proglib wrote:
Most of us have heard the expression:

"Act your age, not your IQ" [Or "shoe size," which is less insulting.]

I would like to submit for your consideration that on DDO we have the opposite problem. There are many extremely bright young people (young men, mostly, which may be part of the problem. XD)

What would it be like if, instead of picking on someone you disagree with, and in fact ganging up on them ala Lord of the Flies*, folks acted more in keeping with their triple digit IQs?

* cf. the treatment of leojm on this forum:
http://www.debate.org...

https://www.youtube.com...

For the record, my statement was not about that person. I forget who I was addressing.

Thanks for your response.

Glad to hear it--that your statement wasn't about leojm. :)

I may have misunderstood the whole interaction, since part of it is cut off. However, I think I got the gist, in terms of some of the young men (obviously not you, since you are a woman.) And it is pretty exemplary of some the behavior on this site, don't you agree?
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
proglib
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 8:28:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/8/2013 1:49:20 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
People who want to attract attention by being obnoxious usually succeed. What's hard to explain is why they think they've accomplished something difficult. Someone said that socializing young men is one of the most difficult problems that any society faces.

Anyway, the best that can be done is to use the "report post" feature to identify every obnoxious personal attack. Not all get deleted, but many do.

Thanks, Roy. Good suggestions.

Some of them are certainly report-worthy. Some are just annoying, and I thought a bit of discussion and gentle peer pressure might have an effect on some of the young men (again, mostly guys, but not all, of course.:)
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
rajun
Posts: 346
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 8:59:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/7/2013 8:21:06 PM, proglib wrote:
Most of us have heard the expression:

"Act your age, not your IQ" [Or "shoe size," which is less insulting.]

I would like to submit for your consideration that on DDO we have the opposite problem. There are many extremely bright young people (young men, mostly, which may be part of the problem. XD)

What would it be like if, instead of picking on someone you disagree with, and in fact ganging up on them ala Lord of the Flies*, folks acted more in keeping with their triple digit IQs?

* cf. the treatment of leojm on this forum:
http://www.debate.org...

https://www.youtube.com...

I agree with this quite a bit but yeah... I have stopped being a "guy who posts to attract" as Roy says... I see this site is not as open as FB. so, it is all serious and only a little fun for me right now...
Only cool guys can see this....
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 10:24:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/7/2013 8:21:06 PM, proglib wrote:
Most of us have heard the expression:

"Act your age, not your IQ" [Or "shoe size," which is less insulting.]

I would like to submit for your consideration that on DDO we have the opposite problem. There are many extremely bright young people (young men, mostly, which may be part of the problem. XD)

What would it be like if, instead of picking on someone you disagree with, and in fact ganging up on them ala Lord of the Flies*, folks acted more in keeping with their triple digit IQs?

* cf. the treatment of leojm on this forum:
http://www.debate.org...

https://www.youtube.com...

Eh, it's always been sort of common knowledge that the opinions and polls sections generally represent the lowest common denominator of DDO.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 10:26:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
When I first came here I remember a lot of people acted more their IQ instead of their age, then most of that started changing right around after I began trolling the sh*t out of debates.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 10:52:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/7/2013 8:21:06 PM, proglib wrote:
Most of us have heard the expression:

"Act your age, not your IQ" [Or "shoe size," which is less insulting.]

I would like to submit for your consideration that on DDO we have the opposite problem. There are many extremely bright young people (young men, mostly, which may be part of the problem. XD)

What would it be like if, instead of picking on someone you disagree with, and in fact ganging up on them ala Lord of the Flies*, folks acted more in keeping with their triple digit IQs?

* cf. the treatment of leojm on this forum:
http://www.debate.org...

Spot on.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 10:53:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/8/2013 1:49:20 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
People who want to attract attention by being obnoxious usually succeed. What's hard to explain is why they think they've accomplished something difficult.

lol
Tsar of DDO
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 11:37:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
DDO is like my playhouse. I have to be so mature the whole day outside the screen, and sometimes I have to let the little kid inside me out. I like being funny and just a kid. So DDO is my lala land. lolz. Sometimes I do try to act mature, like in debates, but otherwise I'm a kid. I don't believe in being serious all your life, I don't want to be like me next door neighbor. Bless that little ole mans heart, the guy is the rudest and the most serious ever!!.
proglib
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 11:39:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/8/2013 10:26:09 AM, imabench wrote:
When I first came here I remember a lot of people acted more their IQ instead of their age, then most of that started changing right around after I began trolling the sh*t out of debates.....

LMAO!

That's all I got right now, cause I just started eating breakfast and don't want to spit out my cereal.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
proglib
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 12:01:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/8/2013 11:37:30 AM, leojm wrote:
DDO is like my playhouse. I have to be so mature the whole day outside the screen, and sometimes I have to let the little kid inside me out. I like being funny and just a kid. So DDO is my lala land. lolz. Sometimes I do try to act mature, like in debates, but otherwise I'm a kid. I don't believe in being serious all your life, I don't want to be like me next door neighbor. Bless that little ole mans heart, the guy is the rudest and the most serious ever!!.

I respectfully beg to differ. [xD Just kidding. I hope that sounded huffy and self righteous at first.]

Not to sound like the old fart that I am: It's possible to have a lot of fun and not pick on someone. That is the kind of mean childishness that I'm talking about.

Someone (Alan Watts?) once explained it as the difference between childlike and childish.

Poking fun at oneself and others in a good-natured way is easily distinguished from Lord of the Flies type hazing. Though sometimes, especially when the "victim" is in on the joke, the former can look to outsiders and stuffed shirts as the latter.

Capiche?

https://www.youtube.com...
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 12:24:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/8/2013 12:01:49 PM, proglib wrote:
At 9/8/2013 11:37:30 AM, leojm wrote:
DDO is like my playhouse. I have to be so mature the whole day outside the screen, and sometimes I have to let the little kid inside me out. I like being funny and just a kid. So DDO is my lala land. lolz. Sometimes I do try to act mature, like in debates, but otherwise I'm a kid. I don't believe in being serious all your life, I don't want to be like me next door neighbor. Bless that little ole mans heart, the guy is the rudest and the most serious ever!!.

I respectfully beg to differ. [xD Just kidding. I hope that sounded huffy and self righteous at first.]

Not to sound like the old fart that I am: It's possible to have a lot of fun and not pick on someone. That is the kind of mean childishness that I'm talking about.

Someone (Alan Watts?) once explained it as the difference between childlike and childish.

Poking fun at oneself and others in a good-natured way is easily distinguished from Lord of the Flies type hazing. Though sometimes, especially when the "victim" is in on the joke, the former can look to outsiders and stuffed shirts as the latter.

Capiche?

https://www.youtube.com...

mmhmm! LOLZ