Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 10:33:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
This poll:
http://www.debate.org...

Somebody found it important enough to make a bunch of fake accounts ? Hah
Probably someone at the NSA's full time job... part of their hip new program aimed at winning over the hearts of the people through social media.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 11:30:44 AM
lol

It looks like some teacher somewhere got their class to vote or something...you can see a trickle of them voting for the other side now. Maybe they're holding a mock debate or something.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 12:22:04 PM
I believe that they are justified.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 12:57:43 PM
At 9/13/2013 10:33:18 AM, lewis20 wrote:
This poll:
http://www.debate.org...

Somebody found it important enough to make a bunch of fake accounts ? Hah
Probably someone at the NSA's full time job... part of their hip new program aimed at winning over the hearts of the people through social media.

I searched some of the names, and they seem to be high school sophomores in Pottsville, Pennsylvania. It's probably a class assignment. It's ironic that the poll is about secret government snooping, while in five minutes I located these young people based solely on public information.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 1:14:27 PM
If they were planning on doing this for a class, I would have so much rather seen them do it in the forums, where they'd actually have to defend their views.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 1:28:10 PM
At 9/13/2013 1:14:27 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
If they were planning on doing this for a class, I would have so much rather seen them do it in the forums, where they'd actually have to defend their views.

It's probably a "make friends with the internet" assignment rather than a debate assignment -- but I'm just guessing. It seems reasonable to have high school sophomores log in and write a one-paragraph opinion rather than be subject to a beating in debate from us older kids.

I'd like to see the whole poll section abolished for the reason you cited. I knew a skiing fanatic who thought the lodge-with-fireplace-and-restaurant should be abolished because it distracted from the single-minded pursuit of skiing. Maybe I'm the debate equivalent of that.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 5:58:09 PM
I really hope they are younger than high school sophomores, the spelling and grammar are 5th grade level at best.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 6:00:34 PM
At 9/13/2013 5:58:09 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I really hope they are younger than high school sophomores, the spelling and grammar are 5th grade level at best.

I'm a Junior and I have 9th grade spelling and I find it curious on how my spelling is bad but yet I'm in 4 AP (advanced placement) classes.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 7:04:40 PM
It's a bunch of students in the same class doing some kind of project. We see this type of thing from time to time. Often we'll see lots of debates pop up on the exact same topic for the same reason.
Debate.org Moderator
proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 7:27:45 PM
At 9/13/2013 6:00:34 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 9/13/2013 5:58:09 PM, lewis20 wrote:

I'm a Junior and I have 9th grade spelling and I find it curious on how my spelling is bad but yet I'm in 4 AP (advanced placement) classes.

Spelling isn't everything, especially today.

However, those who don't have your intellect should learn to spell so that they seem as smart as they are (or smarter.:)

I've always made an attempt to spell properly in the things that matter, and at least close to properly in places like DDO. I will say enough dumb things that I don't need my spelling to give me away. :D
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 1:13:52 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it were propaganda. That exact sort of thing does happen all over the place. I think there's even some name for the program.

But, more likely, just a bunch of the helplessly mind-vacuumed next-generational product of our sabotaged educational infrastructure, ready to bloom and fill our internet-bound breeze with the sweet pollen of rotting potential. Ah, yes.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 2:14:31 AM
At 9/14/2013 1:13:52 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it were propaganda. That exact sort of thing does happen all over the place. I think there's even some name for the program.

But, more likely, just a bunch of the helplessly mind-vacuumed next-generational product of our sabotaged educational infrastructure, ready to bloom and fill our internet-bound breeze with the sweet pollen of rotting potential. Ah, yes.

This is the most gorgeous flatulence I've read today. =)
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?