Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Adopt a Noob

Beverlee
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 4:42:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is there any experienced debater that can offer some one on one tips and personalized guidance - that does NOT mind being pestered with stoopid questions?

What I am specifically looking for is someone who knows what they are talking about who can look over arguments, instigations, and stuff before I post them, and tell me how to do a better job.

And don't start - I KNOW how chicken this sounds. The first step in learning to do anything well is admitting your own ignorance. I am admitting that there are a few things that I don't know much about, and I would like to develop a little better. I really don't care about "winning," on this site, I care if I can formulate a coherent argument and back it up.
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 5:27:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/15/2013 4:42:06 PM, Beverlee wrote:
Is there any experienced debater that can offer some one on one tips and personalized guidance - that does NOT mind being pestered with stoopid questions?

What I am specifically looking for is someone who knows what they are talking about who can look over arguments, instigations, and stuff before I post them, and tell me how to do a better job.

And don't start - I KNOW how chicken this sounds. The first step in learning to do anything well is admitting your own ignorance. I am admitting that there are a few things that I don't know much about, and I would like to develop a little better. I really don't care about "winning," on this site, I care if I can formulate a coherent argument and back it up.

I'm down. My message box is open.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Beverlee
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 5:35:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/15/2013 5:27:23 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 9/15/2013 4:42:06 PM, Beverlee wrote:
Is there any experienced debater that can offer some one on one tips and personalized guidance - that does NOT mind being pestered with stoopid questions?

What I am specifically looking for is someone who knows what they are talking about who can look over arguments, instigations, and stuff before I post them, and tell me how to do a better job.

And don't start - I KNOW how chicken this sounds. The first step in learning to do anything well is admitting your own ignorance. I am admitting that there are a few things that I don't know much about, and I would like to develop a little better. I really don't care about "winning," on this site, I care if I can formulate a coherent argument and back it up.

I'm down. My message box is open.

Awesome! I'm going to take you up on that!! Thanks!
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 7:22:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Me as well.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 4:35:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/15/2013 4:42:06 PM, Beverlee wrote:
Is there any experienced debater that can offer some one on one tips and personalized guidance - that does NOT mind being pestered with stoopid questions?

What I am specifically looking for is someone who knows what they are talking about who can look over arguments, instigations, and stuff before I post them, and tell me how to do a better job.

And don't start - I KNOW how chicken this sounds. The first step in learning to do anything well is admitting your own ignorance. I am admitting that there are a few things that I don't know much about, and I would like to develop a little better. I really don't care about "winning," on this site, I care if I can formulate a coherent argument and back it up.

Generally speaking, if you post up debates with a good opponent, and you have people voting on your debates that are willing to analyze them, then you're going to get a good amount of feedback. This is a good example:
http://www.debate.org...
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 9:37:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
We should start a program wherein debaters with an elo ranking of 3000 or higher who volunteer can "adopt" incoming noobs who want help for a month.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 9:41:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/22/2013 9:37:02 PM, bsh1 wrote:
We should start a program wherein debaters with an elo ranking of 3000 or higher who volunteer can "adopt" incoming noobs who want help for a month.

I'd like to see that implemented along with team debates. Veteran helping out a freshman in a debate is always good.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 9:43:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/22/2013 9:41:58 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 9/22/2013 9:37:02 PM, bsh1 wrote:
We should start a program wherein debaters with an elo ranking of 3000 or higher who volunteer can "adopt" incoming noobs who want help for a month.

I'd like to see that implemented along with team debates. Veteran helping out a freshman in a debate is always good.

Maybe we could suggest it to Airmax?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 9:51:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/22/2013 9:43:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/22/2013 9:41:58 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 9/22/2013 9:37:02 PM, bsh1 wrote:
We should start a program wherein debaters with an elo ranking of 3000 or higher who volunteer can "adopt" incoming noobs who want help for a month.

I'd like to see that implemented along with team debates. Veteran helping out a freshman in a debate is always good.

Maybe we could suggest it to Airmax?

Ha members have been asking for team debates for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, in-site integration of team debates probably won't happen for a while.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 9:53:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/22/2013 9:51:50 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 9/22/2013 9:43:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/22/2013 9:41:58 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 9/22/2013 9:37:02 PM, bsh1 wrote:
We should start a program wherein debaters with an elo ranking of 3000 or higher who volunteer can "adopt" incoming noobs who want help for a month.

I'd like to see that implemented along with team debates. Veteran helping out a freshman in a debate is always good.

Maybe we could suggest it to Airmax?

Ha members have been asking for team debates for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, in-site integration of team debates probably won't happen for a while.

What about the "Adopt-a-Noob" program--could it pay to suggest that? I think that would be great, especially since so many of the top elo debaters are willing to help out and give advice, and a lot of noobs appear to want assistance.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...