Jump to topic:

Ideology of Smart DDO Users

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 7:48:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Why is it that the smartest users on DDO tend toward Anarchism/Voluntaryism and atheism/agnosticism?

Noumena
Danielle
jat93
FREEDO (72% of the time)
Cody_Franklin
LaissezFaire
bluesteel
Korashk
etc
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 7:50:48 PM
Idk about Religion, but bluesteel definitely doesn't lean towards anarchism, at least judging by the positions he used to take in debates
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 7:54:31 PM
And you're leaving off some very smart Christians like PCP, Contradiction, Inquiretruth and CiRrk. You're also leaving off a ton of smart non anarchists like Raisor, Ore_Ele, JustCallmeTarzan, YYW, Blackvoid, ect
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 7:58:52 PM
I would agree that on balance the adherents to those ideologies/beliefs tend to be more intelligent however
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 9:00:27 PM
At 9/17/2013 7:54:31 PM, thett3 wrote:
And you're leaving off some very smart Christians like PCP, Contradiction, Inquiretruth and CiRrk. You're also leaving off a ton of smart non anarchists like Raisor, Ore_Ele, JustCallmeTarzan, YYW, Blackvoid, ect
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 9:22:53 PM
At 9/17/2013 7:48:27 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Why is it that the smartest users on DDO tend toward Anarchism/Voluntaryism and atheism/agnosticism?

Noumena
Danielle
jat93
FREEDO (72% of the time)
Cody_Franklin
LaissezFaire
bluesteel
Korashk
etc

Because correlation always equals causation and small sample sizes are reliable.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 11:20:26 PM

It's because you decided who is smart.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 11:32:51 PM
You seem to be forgetting that I'm more intelligent than everyone here. And I'm communistic/theistic.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 7:12:42 AM
At 9/17/2013 11:32:51 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
You seem to be forgetting that I'm more intelligent than everyone here. And I'm communistic/theistic.

False, I am more intelligant than you, and I'm a Conservative/Theist.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 8:30:41 AM
At 9/17/2013 11:20:26 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

I swear, every post Roy touches turns to pure winning.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 8:47:51 AM
At 9/18/2013 8:30:41 AM, MassiveDump wrote:

I swear, every post Roy touches turns to pure winning.

This, of course, is completely true.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 9:20:20 AM
While I enjoy being called smart, I do admit that there are (a few) smart people who don't agree with me on all things (just a few).
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:21:11 PM
I had a thread awhile back where I did a lot of statistics on the top debaters. By that measure, which is probably more fair than WSA's word, this still holds true. There are exceptions, of course. But it's the general tendency.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:31:01 PM
At 9/18/2013 1:21:11 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I had a thread awhile back where I did a lot of statistics on the top debaters. By that measure, which is probably more fair than WSA's word, this still holds true. There are exceptions, of course. But it's the general tendency.

Link?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:51:38 PM

Pow Bang Wallop.

I don't think the leader board is a reflection on what is truly right and who is truly smart. For instance, an argument from the majority is futile. Meaning those who vote and decide who are winners is not a reflection of absolute truth

Funny, I am not making this comment to Roy who is the leader of this site in respect to Elo ranking. I personally think Roy is a great debater.

I just posted my opinion regardless. And to add, I am a theist.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 6:53:20 PM

Noumena
Danielle
jat93
FREEDO (72% of the time)
Cody_Franklin
LaissezFaire
bluesteel
Korashk
etc

I'm intrigued.... what was the thought process that preceded this post? I ask because while you do typically wear your politics on your sleeve, this is more like wearing them as a codpiece.
Tsar of DDO
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 8:01:31 PM
At 9/18/2013 6:53:20 PM, YYW wrote:

Noumena
Danielle
jat93
FREEDO (72% of the time)
Cody_Franklin
LaissezFaire
bluesteel
Korashk
etc

I'm intrigued.... what was the thought process that preceded this post? I ask because while you do typically wear your politics on your sleeve, this is more like wearing them as a codpiece.

^Analogy of the week.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 1:01:22 AM

I don't buy that it's anything like a majority, but anarchists are far more common on DDO than in the real world.

Anarchism is an affectation of university intellectuals that has been around for at least 40 years. It is a purely theoretical ideology that doesn't get far outside the university campus. It takes considerable intellect to rationalize the theory with the obvious fact that no matter where people are on earth they choose to organize into tribes or nations. Part of the evolutionary advantage of the human species comes from the tribal instinct.

Before anarchism, university intellectuals were enraptured by communism. Communism was supposed to progress from authoritarian rule to popular rule, something along the lines of anarchism. Most of the anarchists on the site take the side of government control in debates.

William Buckley said that he would rather be governed by the first hundred names in phone book than the faculty of Harvard. I think he recognized the Harvard faculty was "smarter" but that ordinary people are far more willing to recognize a failure as a failure, rather than think up excuses as to why is wasn't really a failure.

The reason that we have so many anarchists among the winning debaters is that DDO draws heavily from university students, and anarchism is the religion of the university intellectual elite. If DDO were hosted in China or Iran, the winning debaters would reflect their university elites.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 5:53:25 AM
At 9/19/2013 1:01:22 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

I don't buy that it's anything like a majority, but anarchists are far more common on DDO than in the real world.

Anarchism is an affectation of university intellectuals that has been around for at least 40 years. It is a purely theoretical ideology that doesn't get far outside the university campus. It takes considerable intellect to rationalize the theory with the obvious fact that no matter where people are on earth they choose to organize into tribes or nations. Part of the evolutionary advantage of the human species comes from the tribal instinct.

Before anarchism, university intellectuals were enraptured by communism. Communism was supposed to progress from authoritarian rule to popular rule, something along the lines of anarchism. Most of the anarchists on the site take the side of government control in debates.

William Buckley said that he would rather be governed by the first hundred names in phone book than the faculty of Harvard. I think he recognized the Harvard faculty was "smarter" but that ordinary people are far more willing to recognize a failure as a failure, rather than think up excuses as to why is wasn't really a failure.

The reason that we have so many anarchists among the winning debaters is that DDO draws heavily from university students, and anarchism is the religion of the university intellectual elite. If DDO were hosted in China or Iran, the winning debaters would reflect their university elites.

Marxism is still around in academia; it's just been relegated to the humanities rather than the social sciences for the most part. But to the point about anarchism being "an affectation of university intellectuals"which "is a purely theoretical ideology that doesn't get far outside the university campus," I'll wholly agree with that. I'll also agree that "it takes considerable intellect to rationalize the theory with the obvious fact that no matter where people are on earth they choose to organize into tribes or nations."

I think that now, at least among current university students and those in the recent past (I'm thinking post-Iraq anarchists), the reason for anarchism's prevalence is a combination of the natural adolescent impulse to rebuke authority in tandem with a growing line of distrust of those who presently hold positions of power. There's something piercingly ironic to the fact that inherent within the "nanny state" is not just cradle-to-grave care, but cradle to grave surveillance, monitoring and discipline. To the extent that anarchists want to be rid of that "oppression," they become anarchists -and anarchists they will probably remain until they realize the social necessity of government to order society.

What I find sort of redeeming about anarchists, though, (at least not the nihilistic "watch the world burn" types), is the inherent naivety/idealism within that position. It requires a considerable degree of being sheltered from the world and its people -not to mention the awful things people do to one another- to be able to buy into the idea that people will not throw themselves into a perpetual "state of war" in the absence of some common authority to appeal to. But, if not naive idealism, then willful ignorance -as would be found in the idea that "it is the state who causes men to be horrible to each other, man!" Jean Jacques Rousseau's intellectual legacy continues to haunt mankind...
Tsar of DDO
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 6:26:41 AM
At 9/19/2013 5:53:25 AM, YYW wrote:

What I find sort of redeeming about anarchists, though, (at least not the nihilistic "watch the world burn" types), is the inherent naivety/idealism within that position. It requires a considerable degree of being sheltered from the world and its people -not to mention the awful things people do to one another- to be able to buy into the idea that people will not throw themselves into a perpetual "state of war" in the absence of some common authority to appeal to. But, if not naive idealism, then willful ignorance -as would be found in the idea that "it is the state who causes men to be horrible to each other, man!" Jean Jacques Rousseau's intellectual legacy continues to haunt mankind...

Eh, that naivety is only really found in the anarchists who think we should have an immediate switch to anarchism. Yes people are violent currently. However, we are in the process of outgrowing the need to intentionally harm one another, and in a non-violent society, is a government really necessary anymore?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 6:36:39 AM
At 9/19/2013 6:26:41 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Eh, that naivety is only really found in the anarchists who think we should have an immediate switch to anarchism. Yes people are violent currently. However, we are in the process of outgrowing the need to intentionally harm one another, and in a non-violent society, is a government really necessary anymore?

Human nature can't be outgrown, Bobbert.
Tsar of DDO
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 7:00:17 AM
At 9/19/2013 6:36:39 AM, YYW wrote:
At 9/19/2013 6:26:41 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Human nature can't be outgrown, Bobbert.

Violence is not inherent to human nature, but rather, it is due to societal influence. We live in a society where violence is normalized. However, it's a beautiful thing, because even though we do live in a violence culture, each generation tends to be more tolerant than the previous generation, and crime rates is trending downwards. We are already in the process of outgrowing violence, even though we are doing so very slowly.