Jump to topic:

Cons to Reply Notification

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 11:21:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
First, I love this feature. Sometimes I spread myself thin in the threads I'm participating and lose track of the back-and-forth conversations I'm having, often resulting in me compulsively checking all of the forums I frequent.

However... I think I'm coming to rely on this feature too much. I've noticed that there is a small, but non-trivial amount of "replies" to posts which aren't technical replies in the sense that they generate (e.g. Creating a post via "Add Post" instead of "Reply & Quote" but mentioning another person by name and/or responding to something they've said).

My reliance on this feature has basically resulted in less frequent visits to those forums and only going there if I receive a notification of a direct reply. In the end, I'm still missing a number of "responses" and have to check forums and threads anyway.

Not a sermon, just a thought.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 11:24:08 AM
Agree.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:46:47 PM
I've actually thought about it before, and I'm definitely lazier about it now. I used to read through the entire thread, and I don't do that as much anymore.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder