Jump to topic:

DDO Fvcked Me Up

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 7:25:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Jk. But I'm interested... Has DDO been helpful to you in increasing your intellectual growth, English ability, and persuasion, or has it been detrimental, fueling more vitriol for those with different opinions and decreasing intellectual honesty? Does it make you feel happier or depressedier?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 7:26:39 PM
At 9/25/2013 7:25:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Jk. But I'm interested... Has DDO been helpful to you in increasing your intellectual growth,

kinda

English ability,

lol, nope

and persuasion,

definitely yes

or has it been detrimental, fueling more vitriol for those with different opinions and decreasing intellectual honesty? Does it make you feel happier or depressedier?

little of both from time to time
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
CryptonZ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 8:16:09 PM
It allowed me to be more welcoming and respectful of those who have different opinions than my own, instead of me treating them as an enemy.

It made me realize that are highly intellectual people of all political philosophies, religions, ect.

It helped me to be more open to different ideas, therefore allowing my mind to expand it's ability to think on different topics.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 8:23:08 PM
At 9/25/2013 8:21:49 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
I got attention.

Are your parents divorced?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
anomalous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 8:24:40 PM
I learnt a lot from debate.org, but I find applying 'the laws of debate' (i.e. using reasonable arguments with evidence supporting my contentions) in the meat world very difficult. People do not like being told they're wrong. I have argued marijuana legalization and homosexual marriage over and over again with the same people and it almost always gets me nowhere. People stick with their opinions even in the face of insurmountable evidence. It's definitely made me much more argumentative on subjects I am familiar with and much, much more likely to research something (which, thanks to smart phones is possibly instantly from most anywhere) that I don't know about before forming an opinion.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 8:36:37 PM
Jk. But I'm interested... Has DDO been helpful to you in increasing your intellectual growth, English ability, and persuasion.

Mainly the one above, but my problem with it has been that I've started talking about politics a lot more, and people really don't care about that.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 8:38:29 PM
Heh, My Speech and debate teacher calls it

"More reliable then wikipedia"

(It's a good thing he didn't check the forums section :) )
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 8:57:36 PM
At 9/25/2013 8:23:08 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/25/2013 8:21:49 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
I got attention.

Are your parents divorced?

Nope.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 9:14:22 PM
At 9/25/2013 8:38:29 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:

What?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 9:17:24 PM
At 9/25/2013 9:14:22 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/25/2013 8:38:29 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:

What?

It's purposely off-topic.

But it is true. It's certainly a ton more reliable then other alternatives for information.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
rajun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 6:49:10 AM
DDO is what you want it to be... It can both throw you in the trash or pick you up and show you the right way...
Only cool guys can see this....
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 8:00:39 AM
I met awesome friends on here who have the same views as me. Also I found some liberals I can enjoy debating, good practice, so you can say i learned stuff on DDO.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 9:55:33 AM
It's been positive for me, because I do a lot of detailed research that I would not otherwise have done. I am learning to be more patient with attention seekers.

Recently, Popular Science magazine cut off posting comments on science articles, claiming that the extreme disagreements polarized people, with the net result that science was reduced to political agitating. That's not a problem if people actually enter into debate, because unsupported opinions are contradicted. It is a problem for drive-by shouting matches or unsupported opinions. The cure is to debate, not just state opinions.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 4:26:14 PM
Jk. But I'm interested... Has DDO been helpful to you in increasing your intellectual growth, English ability, and persuasion, or has it been detrimental, fueling more vitriol for those with different opinions and decreasing intellectual honesty? Does it make you feel happier or depressedier?

It depends on what's going on and when it's happening.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 9:41:53 AM
Jk. But I'm interested... Has DDO been helpful to you in increasing your intellectual growth,

For the first two years yes but now not as much. Might be my activity level or the fact that there are maybe a couple members who share the same point of interest.

English ability, and persuasion, or has it been detrimental, fueling more vitriol for those with different opinions and decreasing intellectual honesty? Does it make you feel happier or depressedier?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 9:56:41 AM
I've just come to realize this, but debate.org has forced me to actually use sentence structure.

...and I've stopped using emoticons :(

Dammit.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 1:13:03 PM

I'm sure it has helped me to be more careful about how I select my words in debate, I also had a test for a waste recycling course and only picked up my papers a day before my first assessment and the assessor said that she was very impressed with me, and I did better than most others, I was absolutely gobsmacked. I think the high level of demand to word things right on this site has definitely helped me improve my English amongst other things.

or has it been detrimental, fueling more vitriol for those with different opinions and decreasing intellectual honesty? Does it make you feel happier or depressedier?

No it hasn't, I learned the hard and militant way to debate, FACEBOOK. This site is definitely much better to thrash out your ideas without having to get into full blown debates with trolls.....With the exception of a few encounters.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 4:34:00 PM

Intellectually I don't think DDO has had much of an impact.

English ability,

If anything, the more I type using phrases like "lol" and "idgaf" as well as use words like "fvcked" as stand-ins for actual profanity, I think that my English ability takes a hit. But, that's a choice, so I don't blame DDO for it.

and persuasion,

Ehh, maybe. It's given me a platform to do things I wouldn't otherwise be able to do. After all, people are the reason I'm on DDO, not topics.

There are times where I have been at my "wits end" because of the nonsense I've seen posted on here, and whenever I see nonsense it still bothers me. But that's an intellectual honesty issue, meaning it is not an issue of animosity with those who hold opinions with which I disagree. While it may be the case that some of those who I disagree with hold stupid opinions, that is not to say that all those I disagree with hold stupid opinions. A stupid opinion is only one which is intellectually dishonest, not necessarily one with which I disagree although if someone holds an intellectually dishonest opinion I almost invariably disagree with it. I know that the difference there is nuanced, and often over the heads of people who whine and say stupid things like "You only think he's stupid because you disagree with him!" when in reality my disagreement is necessary but not sufficient to indicate stupidity. But picking up on little details like that is what delineates those who actually take the time to understand situations and those who jump to unfounded conclusions that reaffirm their own biases -whether it's me denouncing what someone else has said as stupid or whether it's someone else who thinks I'm denouncing an opinion (which I am inclined to do) as stupid because I disagree with it. Details. They matter.

More or less, I'm happier for being on here -if I wasn't I wouldn't be here. Sometimes there are days where DDO just pisses me off, but those days have been fewer and fewer as time goes on. I think what makes the difference is where people -who are committed to bettering this community- actually take positive action to that end versus where people who are more interested in making other people look stupid rip apart what others say. Coming up with something meaningful to say is much harder with finding fault with others. That's just the way it is.
Tsar of DDO