Jump to topic:

Questions about DDO Rules

Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 9:22:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So my question: I am TOTALLY ALL ABOUT COLLABORATION and sharing. What are the rules with that? Can we help each other? Or do we have to fight all the time? I'm not really on here to be "right" and smarter than other people, I'm on here to come up with good things to say in school debates and things like that. The best way to do that is to snap together parts of ideas that I don't have in my head yet.

I'm cool with whatever. I asked this other debater for help, and he says that he wont vote in my debate - which hadn't dawned on me that that might be a problem, but it seems pretty obvious now that I think of it.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 9:24:41 PM
At 9/27/2013 9:22:56 PM, Beverlee wrote:
So my question: I am TOTALLY ALL ABOUT COLLABORATION and sharing. What are the rules with that? Can we help each other? Or do we have to fight all the time? I'm not really on here to be "right" and smarter than other people, I'm on here to come up with good things to say in school debates and things like that. The best way to do that is to snap together parts of ideas that I don't have in my head yet.

I'm cool with whatever. I asked this other debater for help, and he says that he wont vote in my debate - which hadn't dawned on me that that might be a problem, but it seems pretty obvious now that I think of it.

I don't think anyones ever had a problem with someone helping another person out on their arguments. If they wrote your arguments for you or something that could be a problem but it doesnt sound like thats what happened in your case
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 9:40:55 PM
At 9/27/2013 9:24:41 PM, thett3 wrote:

I don't think anyones ever had a problem with someone helping another person out on their arguments. If they wrote your arguments for you or something that could be a problem but it doesnt sound like thats what happened in your case

cool, thanks.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2013 12:03:05 PM
I think it is fine for debaters to helpeach other. It wouldn't be fair for a grizzled old veteran debater to build a case for a new guy, but I don't think that happens. Asking questions and getting answers is okay.

New debaters often forget to search for past debates on the subject they are debating. That can yield good arguments and good sources, and it is absolutely legitimate research.
Weiler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2013 2:06:16 PM

I am pretty new to this site, but it is obvious that any debater worth their salt researches the topic, and therefore benefits for the work of others. I don't think it matters if this consists of reading other people's opinions or asking them directly. Draw from whatever resource you may, but give credit where credit is due and never quote without citation! ;) Have fun!
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2013 3:10:42 PM
At 9/29/2013 2:06:16 PM, Weiler wrote:

I am pretty new to this site, but it is obvious that any debater worth their salt researches the topic, and therefore benefits for the work of others. I don't think it matters if this consists of reading other people's opinions or asking them directly. Draw from whatever resource you may, but give credit where credit is due and never quote without citation! ;) Have fun!

Hey I never thought of it like that! Thanks!