Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

"Resolved: ....." ....Then why debate it?

mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 3:59:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Can someone tell me why people put "Resolved:" ahead of the debate topic? The topic has not yet been resolved (which is why it's being debated....). It would make sense if it were "To Be Resolved:", but I have yet to see this. Perhaps the "To Be" is implied, but even then it's redundant. The point of having a debate to begin with is to resolve the topic at hand. If they want to declare the topic title as the resolution itself, that's understandable. But again, it makes no sense to say "Resolved: ...." rather than saying "Resolution: .....".

I just bugs me, though I do admit, it probably bugs me more than it should...
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 7:31:42 AM
Just spitballing here, but I think "resolved" is short for "be it resolved" as if you were presenting an actual resolution to a congress and in no way confirms that your resolution is already "resolved."
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 3:33:40 PM
It's part of the resolution, like a policy type debate.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 3:48:37 PM
You are debating under the the impression that the affirmative has already been accepted as law, however the Neg has a chance to argue against the resolution still. Thats how I learned it in highschool.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 6:55:53 PM
Two people theoretically have to have a stance on what they are debating about, that's why the instigator or the affirmative (depending on the format) has to put "resolved", instead of "lets talk a while and resolve this". I think.
0x5f3759df
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 10:35:56 PM
The meaning of "resolved" in context is "[with clause] (of a legislative body or other formal meeting) make a decision by a formal vote:"

It's short for "Be it resolved that <clause>" which means "Let us decide by a formal vote that <clause>"