Jump to topic:

Stating your inexperience...

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 10:32:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
...and making specific note that you are challenging a top debater during your debates, is a pointless act.

It does not show deference nor respect. In fact, it is actually somewhat disrespectful to the person you are debating.

In making deliberate note of the imaginary "handicap" you face as a new participant deliberately going up against a "high ranked" debater on this site, you are essentially playing down a possible win by your opponent and cushioning your own possible loss.

Examples:

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

Experience on the forum does not dictate debate prowess and is meaningless in and of itself. Suffice it to say, noting a difference in experience as part of your R1 is also meaningless. The only plausible explanation for incorporating this into your R1 is to garner sympathy points for the "underdog" and as such, I will be penalizing the Conduct category for anyone who does this.

Agree? Disagree?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 10:48:00 PM
Agree.

When I first joined this site, I was looking for the best, most rational, nihilistic debater on the site and chose Ragnar_Rahl, lol. (I went according to profile summaries.) I chose that criteria because of the debate topic: http://www.debate.org...

But when I challenged him, I did not state inexperience or anything to expect a handicap. I came at the debate expecting to win.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 11:06:37 PM
Actually, after looking at the debate, I did the complete opposite. I warned my opponent that I'm tough to beat, lol. XD
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 11:11:09 PM
I don't mind. If they can pull off something win while wasting characters on something like stating their inexperience, their case becomes pretty boss.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 11:39:52 PM
Agree.

Flattery distracts the debate. I won't go as far as penalizing conduct, but I dislike flattery in the context of debate.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 12:17:27 AM
Disagree. Seriously, it's two or three lines of text. Not really a big deal, especially since the intent seems to pretty largely be innocent and definitely not worth even considering taking a point away.