Jump to topic:

2009 DDO Awards

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 1:51:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Nominations thread: http://www.debate.org...
Voting thread: http://www.debate.org...

Introduction

The year has gone by so fast.

On January 5th, the 'last page link' was created for the forums, which has since become the last major contribution to the site. This lack of attention was solidified when WebCorp launched DORK on February 3rd and, just recently, Stuff.org.

On February 8th, the site's domain changed from "Debate.com" to "Debate.org," so that WebCorp would not have to pay a lease. Back then, the site puportedly made WebCorp a mere $5 a day. Just a few weeks ago, ads ceased to exist on WebCorp.

Also at the beginning of February, the 2nd Mafia game ended. It was unthemed. Now, we have had several mafia games, all of them increasingly more intricate than the games that preceded them.

On March 3rd, a major votebomber was banned, and the long awaited vote-bomb-removal program was released. Phil, the president of WebCorp, organized a private group to ask how best to improve the site. He decided to alter the "Votes" tab on DDO's debates. This has yet to happen.

In May, a prominent DDO was sent a cease and desist letter, telling him not to create an account ever again. Unrelated to this incident, three more prominent members were banned, but fortunately, they are still around today. Since then, many others have been banned. Most of them, though, eventually get their accounts back.

Through June and July, the decision was made to close down Debate Fans. Since, DDOFans has been constructed in its place.

Throughout this entire year, old time regulars have left, and new comers have found a home. More debates. Happy discussions on the forums. Laughing. Feuds. And a strong community.

The second true year of DDO has certainly been an interesting one. And with this year nearing an end, I present to you the 2009 DDO Awards.

Merry Christmas!

The Awards

Funniest user:
For the second year in a row, this user has made us laugh out loud with his sarcastic witticism and witty observations. This year he has posted a grand total of ninety(!) hilarious debates, and posted many more sidesplitting posts on the forums. May brian_eggleston, that old jester, keep up laughing for many years to come!

Biggest attention whore:
You can always find him on the Religion forums, diking it out over controversial subjects such as theology, science, and faith. And it always seems as if he wants the spotlight, like a child banging together metal toys in the middle of a shopping mall. Well, here you go, GodSands. We noticed.

Drama queen:
An almost destined tie. Seriously, have you ever watched their parades? Congratulations to both Pervrat and theLwerd, DDO's resident homosexuals, for winning 2009's DDO Drama Queen Award.

Never logs off:
So far in his DDO career, he has posted over 5800 posts in the forums and participated in over 130 debates (42 this year). He claims to be a social outcast, with a quiet voice. He's a virgin, and has a special liking for your mother (maybe even grandmother). To me, he seems like the perfect personality type for this particular award. Congratulations to Ragnar_Rahl for having absolutely no life at all!

I miss yew:
Another tie. The first winner who v2ers remember as a passionate progressive who debated with a clear mind and solid and powerful logic. This year, he only participated in three debates, which is considerably few considering his thirty-three last year. The second winner is a college student at the University of Florida, studying Information Systems and Operations Management. He, too, is passionate, a libertarian who went on a hiatus to focus on his college studies. He also owns DDOFans. So congratulations to brittwaller and s0m31john! Come back! We miss yall!

Master topic creator:
At an alarming rate of seventeen posts per day, you can always find him browsing the forums, chatting up, arguing on, discussing the latest political discourse. Thank you Volkov for creating great topics for us all to enjoy here on DDO!

Rookie of the year:
He joined eight months ago. He's a self-described liberal. You can read his well written arguments on his sixteen debates and 4211 posts. Volkov, we hope to see much more of you in the coming years! You've been an amazing asset to the site so far!

Most improved debater:
Many of the atheist users on this site have been surprised by this user. To some of them, a rational, thoughtful evangelical Christian just didn't exist. And they've been pleasantly surprised by KRFournier, a dad, an IT professional, and a master at discussing theology.

Biggest spammer:
Copy pasta is a lot like wasabi: a little is okay every once in a while (provided proper citation of course). Maybe it's even tasty. But this user does not know the definition of 'moderation.' Oh. My. God. Seriously, banker. STFU. And lrn2grammar, too.

Most overrated:
From best debater last year, to most overrated this year. What gives, community? Has he gotten dumber? Or have we just gotten smarter, and seen better stuff? I like to think the latter. But, hey, Logical-Master, we still love you.

Most underrated:
I must admit, I barely even recognized this user's user name when I read it. Apparently, she has participated in twenty-seven debates that must have slipped my view, and she's a fierce debate and thinker. So I guess she's very deserving of this award...um, whoever she is. Congratulations alto2osu!

Best thread:
What's great about this site is that it's not totally intellectual all the time. Nor is it 4chan. Mostly, it's a good balance between the two. And not everything has to have a reason. Sometimes it can just be fun for the sake of it. Highlights can even be silly. But what do I ramble ambiguously about? You just want the thread, right? Fine: ...um (http://www.debate.org...).

Best debate:
Pioneered by MTGandP, the idea is that the two debaters choose a team of warriors. Then, the debaters argue with each other, debating which team would win if their teams of warriors were to be pitted against each other. Since its first appearance, the form has inspired tens of debates on this site. And so the community wanted to take the time to honor its first incarnation: Ultimate Team War (http://www.debate.org...)

Best moment:
He wasn't here to learn. A troll in the truest form. An evangelical simply to make noise and attract attention. Posting irrelevant bible versus, and formatting his text t annoy. And so when he left...when DATCMOTO left DDO, the community rejoiced!

Best would-be-moderator:
This guy means business, and he is not afraid to express his opinion and make decisions. Last year, he was hailed Best User '08, for starting The Cleaners, an anti-vote bombing group. This year, he has continued his fight against injustices he sees on DDO. And he's a devoted member, with 151 debates and more than 2500 posts. If DDO were to have a moderator, the community chooses you, Kleptin.

Worst poster:
banker, seriously. Stop it. It stopped being cute an hour ago.

Best poster:
Like previously stated, he doesn't take crap from anyone. He will express his opinion. He will get his message across. You will understand his point of view. His name is Kleptin.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 1:51:53 AM
Most insightful:
He's a strict libertarian, who will give you the libertarian POV before you can say 'Mao.' But also, he's quite the one to talk to about philosophy, religion, and politics. Many from the community have learned much from him. Thanks, Ragnar_Rahl, for teaching us all that you have.

Best debater:
She's not afraid to speak her mind, and with 207 debates--96.50% of which she is winning--and the number one spot on the leader board, the community has grown to fear her debating skills. Congratulations theLwerd for winning the '09 Best Debater Award!

Best user '09:
Some like her for her care-free, I'll-just-say-what-I-want-to-say-how-bout-that attitude. Some like her debating skills. Some like her because she's an attractive lesbian. Some like her because she's flamboyant. Some like her for her witty forum posts. But for whatever reason, theLwerd is DDO's Best User '09!
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2009 12:18:51 PM
Congrats to all winners. I think most if not all were well deserved.

Cheers for taking the time and effort to run the awards poejoe.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2009 12:33:07 PM
Congrats to everyone who won, and thanks to PoeJoe for taking the time to do this. And I hope banker gets to see what he's won! xD
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2009 12:36:28 PM
At 12/26/2009 12:33:07 PM, Volkov wrote:
Congrats to everyone who won, and thanks to PoeJoe for taking the time to do this. And I hope banker gets to see what he's won! xD

Haha agreed.

"banker, seriously. Stop it. It stopped being cute an hour ago."

Classic.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2009 2:55:05 PM
Apparently insight has a precise -1 correlation to having a life.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2009 2:59:57 PM
At 12/26/2009 2:55:05 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Apparently insight has a precise -1 correlation to having a life.

Haha. :D