Jump to topic:

New Voting Idea

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 3:28:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is kind of based off of my "Sources" thread.

I think the creator of a debate should be able to arrange the voting categories so as to determine what people actually vote on. For instance, in many of my debates, I think the only point that really matters is who made the most convincing arguments. Things like who you agreed with beforehand and afterward, sources, grammar and spelling are kind of moot and thus just serve as points to help people vote bomb. If the instigator of a debate was allowed to set it up so that different points were weighted differently in different debates (or were relevant altogether), I think it could be cool.

To take it a step further, we've seen a surge of new kind of debates here on DDO in which the standard voting categories do not apply. For instance, rap battles are becoming more and more popular, ultimate team war debates are the rage, some people have done fictional writing debates, and I've participated in a poetry (sonnet) debate as well. Wouldn't it be cool if the instigator could set up what they wanted to be voted on? For instance, in a rap battle, someone might put "lyrics" as a category and another one might be "flow" or "delivery."

Similarly, a debate based on who had the most "creativity" in a fictional writing debate or some other category for the team war debates might be really cool and useful. Now I know that additional changes to this site are unlikely; however, I know that the powers that be do read these threads sometimes and I think that they should seriously take this idea into consideration. This is a marketing strategy in their best interest. If they can expand advertising DDO as a site that isn't only about debating serious issues, but also fun or creative things as well (such as rap battles and poetry or writing) then I think they would draw in a bigger crowd. Think about it.

Bottom line: I think the voting categories should be more flexible, and that would best be done by having the instigator set the intended standards and point distribution (and the contender will accept if they agree to them or will help make changes). Thoughts?
President of DDO
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:31:31 PM
I don't have anything against these fun debates. But I do realize that, after all, this is a debate website, intended for intellectual conversation. The formal debates are the intended backbone of this site. So what if these fun debates might be a little awkward to vote on? It's easily fixable (by explicitly saying what to do with the voting in R1), and, besides, they should be a little weird! You yourself have stated that this website is getting a little lax in its intellectual stimulation, and, again, formal debates are designed to be the backbone of this website

And besides, between experienced debaters, the English and Conduct vote are usually negligible. And if someone can't write properly or can't conduct himself orderly, then he deserves to be deducted points for it!
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:36:25 PM
Who are you to say that formal debates are 'supposed' to be the cornerstone of this website? When I saw the advertisement for DDO, I remember it specifically saying that this was a place to debate *anything* lol including who's a better writer, musician, etc. Plus, while it can be "easily corrected" i.e. by saying that you could vote for who had better lyrics as who you agreed with before the debate, or who had the most creativity as your sources vote - etc - it doesn't even out because sources alone awards you 2 points and arguments is 3 (so that's 5/7 right there).

Anyway, I guess you could work around it, but my point was that this could give the site more flexibility. I don't think Phil really cares WHAT we debate so long as people are here and active and making him money. If most people want to do formal debates, then obviously that's perfectly fine and welcomed. But if people want to branch out, it should be not only accepted but encouraged. Again, I think it would draw in a bigger and more diverse crowd... who in turn would see the kind of intellectualism that is offered on DDO, and contribute to it.
President of DDO