Jump to topic:

Debates I Would Like to See

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2013 9:22:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Stealing someone else's idea and posting resolutions I think would be interesting:

1. The U.S. should implement a negative income tax.
2. Ownership of dangerous exotic animals as pets ought to be banned.
3. The Earth Liberation Front ought not be considered a terrorist organization.
4. Private property rights do not exist.
5. The role of the state ought to be the fostering of human flourishing.
6. Capitalism is a structurally unstable economic system.
7. Anti-liberal governments are preferable to anarchy.
8. A society without engineers is preferable to a society without artists.
9. Stay at home parents work as hard as incoming earning parents.
10. It is better to burn out than to fade away.
11. Only the good die young.
12. Democracy is not a universally applicable political system.
13. The US should substantially expand school voucher programs.
14. The US STEM labor shortage crisis is a myth.
15. Fat Pride movements are detrimental to society.
16. Suicide is unethical for non-terminal individuals.
17. Murder ought to be legal with consent of the victim.
18. Humans will more likely than not cause our own extinction.
19. Technological progress has not improved the human condition.
20. Beauty is a virtue.
21. The near total loss of privacy is inevitable.
22. Having children is contrary to parent's self interest
23. Construction of large scale projects in developing countries is unethical.
24. Pope Francis' behavior is contrary to the best interest/preservation of the Catholic Church.
25. Collapse of the USSR was inevitable by 1980.
26. Animals should be afforded a bill of rights.
27. The U.S. ought not pursue anti-nuclear proliferation goals.
28. The U.S. should pursue a global security policy of offshore balancing.
29. Bush is unfairly blamed for misleading the West on the issue of WMDs in Iraq.

Obviously some of these need to be tweaked. If anyone takes these up send me a link to vote on it and I will.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2013 9:56:49 PM
You b!tch.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2013 9:57:10 PM
Just kidding. <3
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
LtCmdrData
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2013 11:56:47 PM
At 10/20/2013 9:22:56 PM, Raisor wrote:

7. Anti-liberal governments are preferable to anarchy.

I would debate "Oppressive Government is more desirable than No Government," on the Pro.

I would take the Con on this one.

26. Animals should be afforded a bill of rights.

I would go Pro on this one.

I know I'm a fairly new member, but I would be willing to do one debate with you on any one of those topics if you'd like.
Lt. Cmdr. Data

"I didn't ask him, but I doubt he would have sponsored lethal injection either. But I'll shoot him an e-mail since you suggested it." - Airmax http://www.debate.org...

"There is coffee in that nebula." Capt. Kathryn Janeway, FS Voyager
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 12:03:54 AM
I'd be interested in 23, 24, 26, and 5. I also like the idea of oppressive vs. no government as a way to reword that one topic. But, I'd be up for any of these debate depending on the side. Let me know if you want to debate them.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 4:36:32 PM

That's an incredibly uncontroversial topic. What I think you want to argue is how "the state" may best go about fostering human flourishing.

10. It is better to burn out than to fade away.

I would actually be happy to debate this with you, where I debated from the CON perspective.

All political systems have the potential to be universally applicable given certain events which would lay the groundwork for that to occur. There is this assumption in the west, especially among Americans, that ours is the best, final and only "realizable" form of political order which has the propensity to be universalized -failing to take into account that any people in any place could at any time take steps to reorder their political scheme. Perhaps, given the particulars of specific cases, some systems are more likely than others (and there is some moderately convincing literature which suggests that may be the case) -but that is insufficient to indicate one political order or another is or is not universally anything.

I would suggest that rather than stating that in positive terms, it would be better to debate whether or not democracy ought to be universalized as opposed to whether it is the case or not that democracy is a universally applicable system. That way, your debate of value can occur (which is what I think you want to happen anyway) as a value debate and not masquerade as a discussion of whether something is or is not the case.

LOL

16. Suicide is unethical for non-terminal individuals.

I would probably read this debate if it were to be had, but I'm not especially interested in having it.

There is quintessentially no meaningful way to even have that discussion. Is it the case that humans have the potential to cause their own extinction? Sure. Does that mean that it would ever necessarily be the case that humans would cause their own extinction? Not at all. If you want to talk about the ethics of the means humans have to potentially cause their own extinction, that would be one thing... but there is no way that the resolution as it stands can actually be intelligently debated.

24. Pope Francis' behavior is contrary to the best interest/preservation of the Catholic Church.

I'd love to see SovereignDream argue this with... anyone.

25. Collapse of the USSR was inevitable by 1980.

Knowing a fairly great deal about Soviet History, this might be interesting for me to read. I'm not really interested in debating it though. I would, however, put the line of inevitable destruction even farther back... like when Stalin came to power. Btw. I know that at the time the Soviets could not have known that Stalin's rule would cause the USSR to implode... but that's not what the resolution is asking. However, I think that the USSR's demise was "knowable" by the end of Brezhnev's rule, and inevitable in the moment that Chernenko's seat was filled by Gorbachev.

27. The U.S. ought not pursue anti-nuclear proliferation goals.

lol...

29. Bush is unfairly blamed for misleading the West on the issue of WMDs in Iraq.

Bush was acting on Rumsfeld's "bullet-proof" evidence. It wasn't Bush's mea culpa, but Rummy's. Even still, I do not lament US involvement in Iraq. I only lament that we could not do more.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 5:52:07 PM
Stealing someone else's idea and posting resolutions I think would be interesting:

1. The U.S. should implement a negative income tax.

I would get behind this if it meant abolishing the rest of the welfare state

4. Private property rights do not exist.

I'd like to see people smarter than myself take this. It would be really interesting to see, and I don't think I could make a good case on either side.

I'd be interested to see how anyone handles the Con side of that debate

I'd take Pro probably

Fascinating resolution, a debate I'd love to see as well

19. Technological progress has not improved the human condition.

Would love to see this one.

21. The near total loss of privacy is inevitable.

Be careful with that wording..."inevitable" is perhaps too strong.

22. Having children is contrary to parent's self interest

I would take Con here

I'm curious, why would it be considered unethical?

Pope Francis is exactly what the Church needs IMO
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 6:51:12 PM
At 10/23/2013 5:52:07 PM, thett3 wrote:

I'd be interested to see how anyone handles the Con side of that debate

I could have so much fun with that one.

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 9:13:12 PM
At 10/23/2013 5:52:07 PM, thett3 wrote:

I'm curious, why would it be considered unethical?

I should have clarified, what I have in mind are the massive stadiums and supertall buildings being built in Brazil, Qatar, etc.

They are (arguably) unethical because often the laborers involved are treated like slaves and the costs are astronomical compared to civil works projects that would benefit the populace, and often have questionable economic returns.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 9:15:27 PM
At 10/23/2013 4:36:32 PM, YYW wrote:

That's an incredibly uncontroversial topic. What I think you want to argue is how "the state" may best go about fostering human flourishing.

Anbyone who believes in a "Night-watchman" state or a state whose primary purpose is the preservation of justice would find this controversial. Pretty much all libertarians should find this resolution controversial.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 9:18:22 PM
At 10/23/2013 9:15:27 PM, Raisor wrote:

Anbyone who believes in a "Night-watchman" state or a state whose primary purpose is the preservation of justice would find this controversial. Pretty much all libertarians should find this resolution controversial.

Not so much.

A question of the extent to which the state should intervene or not intervene in the lives/encroach on the liberties of individuals is still a question of how the state ought to encourage human flourishing (and perhaps also invites a discussion of what it means to "flourish").
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 9:27:42 PM
Libertarian: To the extent that the state does not impede on individual liberty/constrain freedom/etc. the state fosters human flourishing.

YYW: So, the state's lack of action brings about the result you desire?

Libertarian: Obviously.

YYW: Brilliant, then. I'm glad we've resolved this question of how "the state" may best go about fostering human flourishing, as I originally said was the issue at hand in the first place.

Libertarian: But I thought we were talking about the role of the state ought to be the fostering of human flourishing.

YYW: Even according to your framework of limiting state power because your view state power as necessarily at the expense of individual liberty, the extent to which the state has the power to intervene in the lives of individuals is still a question of how the state may best go about fostering human flourishing.

Libertarian: Yeah, man. When I say "human flourishing" i mean giving the people the freedom to do what they want without the aggression of state coercion.

YYW: I know, which is what I thought you were doing all along. It's not that I can read your mind, so much as it is that I kind of have a degree in this shiznit, yo.

Libertarian: Dude, you wanna light up.

YYW: Meh, I quit that a few years ago. If your guys get elected and it becomes legalized en masse, though, I'd love to share a bowl.

Libertarian: Viva la marijuana!

YYW: *pulls out iPhone to check Grindr*
Tsar of DDO
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 12:34:38 PM
At 10/23/2013 9:18:22 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/23/2013 9:15:27 PM, Raisor wrote:

Not so much.

A question of the extent to which the state should intervene or not intervene in the lives/encroach on the liberties of individuals is still a question of how the state ought to encourage human flourishing (and perhaps also invites a discussion of what it means to "flourish").

I disagree. I would be amenable to going Con on this resolution.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 5:17:54 PM
31. Twerking should be punishable by death.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 2:14:26 PM
I just made one similar to 6. I've done one similar to 6 in the past as well.

http://www.debate.org...
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)