Jump to topic:

First time

kidpakman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 8:16:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
First time on the site and looking to have my first debate. Not sure how to get one started, topically, not technically. If there is anyone wanting to debate 1 criminal law reform, 2 Probation parole, or 3 felons rights. I am Pro 1, Con 2, Pro 3
Please challenge me to a debate.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 1:24:34 AM
Those are good topics. I suggest you post an open challenge on which ever topic you prefer, and I'm pretty sure someone will accept.

I suggest you read the tutorial thread at the top of this forum. Propose the debate as being Pro the change in policy you advocate.

When posting the challenge, you might consider restricting who can accept so that you get to debate another relatively new debater. Many new debaters get discouraged jumping into the deep end of the pool.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 10:24:16 AM
- Go to Debate/Challenge Period

- Click on Start A New Debate.

- Examine the default parameters. Leave them mostly where they are.

-- 3 rounds is a good length for a debate, particularly for a newby (unless you want the first round to be challenge and acceptance, in which case 4 rounds is good). I tend to skip over 5 round debates, and I'm sure I'm not alone. So you'll get more feedback (votes and comments) with a shorter debate. On the other hand, one and two round debates are mostly stupid. Three is the sweet spot (or four, if round one is challenge and acceptance).

-- You might shorten the post length to 4000 characters, for your first time out.

-- Definitely don't shorten the posting period beyond 72 hours. The fact that we can't make it longer than that is one reason that I rarely debate.

- Click thru to examine the advanced options.

- Then back out of the whole thing. It's empowering to know that you aren't stuck in there, that you can look at the gizzards of the thing without having to actually start a debate.

- Go back in. Write your resolution as a clear affirmative statement. Not, "Dogs or Cats?" but rather, "Dogs are better than cats." Better yet, "Resolved, dogs are better than cats." If you do it that way, nobody has to guess what your debate is about.

- Be explicit about the burden of proof. "I have the burden of proof."
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 10:32:14 AM
Again in the debate challenge area, click on someone else's challenge, then click on Accept The Challenge. Examine the parameters and then back out. Prove to yourself that you don't have to accept a debate in order to see what the rules are.

And don't think that you have to accept the debate as created. You can go to the comments and say, "I'll accept this debate if you limit the topic. Instead of "Resolved, dogs are better than cats," how about, "Ridgebacks are better than Maine Coons." Then the initiator can change his parameters and you can accept the debate.
kidpakman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 10:37:17 AM
Thanks, It still seems a bit overwhelming to start as I never debated in school. So the whole idea of form is kind of odd to me. I am great at arguing, but I guess step forward and test the bridge.