Jump to topic:

Question about vote bombing

ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 8:09:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm new to this site and have looked around FAQ and other tutorialish threads without finding an answer.

When you report a vote for vote bombing using the button on the vote div, will you be notified if the vote has been reviewed and deemed valid?

P.S. posting a well known informal fallacy, or something that indicates that the voter misunderstood the resolution in RFD is a vote bomb correct?
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 8:52:14 PM
At 10/24/2013 8:09:21 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:
I'm new to this site and have looked around FAQ and other tutorialish threads without finding an answer.

When you report a vote for vote bombing using the button on the vote div, will you be notified if the vote has been reviewed and deemed valid?

You'll generally be notified if your vote has been deleted, not if a vote you reported has been deleted.

If you want to discuss those types of details and get an explanation for specific votes and the review regarding them you'll have to contact me directly.

P.S. posting a well known informal fallacy, or something that indicates that the voter misunderstood the resolution in RFD is a vote bomb correct?

I don't like to use the term vote bomb as it's become nearly arbitrary (a "vote bomb" as I use the term means any vote lacking sufficient explanation for any part of it. So I wouldn't call such a vote a "vote bomb", but it may still be a problematic vote and subject to review.
Debate.org Moderator
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 9:23:33 PM
At 10/24/2013 8:52:14 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

You'll generally be notified if your vote has been deleted, not if a vote you reported has been deleted.

If you want to discuss those types of details and get an explanation for specific votes and the review regarding them you'll have to contact me directly.

I'm all about details but I don't want to bother anyone, if someone has to ask you every time you must be pretty busy.

I am just trying to get used to what kind of site this is. Some debate sites don't reverse user posts for any reason other than repeated and intense insulting/trolling. Others are almost tyrannical in removing anything the mod deems off-topic or generally not good enough.

In the FAQ it said vote bomb was any vote without "sufficient supporting reasons" which did seem a little open.

I recently concluded a debate (still in voting period) and the first voter gave five points to my opponent, but in their RFD they posted something that definitely implied they did not understand the resolution. This was particularly frustrating since my opponent repeatedly misrepresented the resolution in his posts it seems clear to me that the voter skimmed over the debate and took my opponent at his word.

I'm sure it never feels 'fair' to be voted against but this struck me as special miscarriage of voting privileges. I spent a decent amount of time in that debate and even if someone end up disagreeing with my arguments I think they owe it to me and this site to read and understand the resolution before voting.

Not only did she appear to misunderstand the resolution, but she used ad populum and the 'strong assertion' (yes she used the word assertion) of my opponent about BoP as other reasons.

I can understand if the policy is pretty much to not question votes, but if that doesn't qualify as "insufficient supporting reasons" I can't imagine what does.

BTW if you are the only moderator I am not asking you to go find this out of order or anything.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 9:33:50 PM
At 10/24/2013 9:23:33 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:
At 10/24/2013 8:52:14 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I'm all about details but I don't want to bother anyone, if someone has to ask you every time you must be pretty busy.

It does keep me busy, but it's what I'm here for. Feel free to contact me any time if you need anything at all. I'll do my best to answer all of your questions and explain anything that needs explaining.

I am just trying to get used to what kind of site this is. Some debate sites don't reverse user posts for any reason other than repeated and intense insulting/trolling. Others are almost tyrannical in removing anything the mod deems off-topic or generally not good enough.

We try to maintain a decent balance here.

In the FAQ it said vote bomb was any vote without "sufficient supporting reasons" which did seem a little open.

I recently concluded a debate (still in voting period) and the first voter gave five points to my opponent, but in their RFD they posted something that definitely implied they did not understand the resolution. This was particularly frustrating since my opponent repeatedly misrepresented the resolution in his posts it seems clear to me that the voter skimmed over the debate and took my opponent at his word.

I
m familiar with the debate and the vote. That vote is still currently under review. All vote reviews take around 24-48 hours to complete. That vote was reported last night, so it's still under review and will be finalized soon.

I'm sure it never feels 'fair' to be voted against but this struck me as special miscarriage of voting privileges. I spent a decent amount of time in that debate and even if someone end up disagreeing with my arguments I think they owe it to me and this site to read and understand the resolution before voting.

I understand and we try to resolve these issues in as fair a way as possible.

Not only did she appear to misunderstand the resolution, but she used ad populum and the 'strong assertion' (yes she used the word assertion) of my opponent about BoP as other reasons.

I can understand if the policy is pretty much to not question votes, but if that doesn't qualify as "insufficient supporting reasons" I can't imagine what does.

BTW if you are the only moderator I am not asking you to go find this out of order or anything.

Your concerns are understandable, and while I can't promise that the vote will be removed, I can assure you that it will be objectively reviewed and the appropriate actions will be taken. Naturally the end results don't always make everyone happy, but it is the best we can do considering the nature of a debate site and voting.
Debate.org Moderator