Jump to topic:

Education should be designated...

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 1:48:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Since there won't be any changes made to the forums, we should designate the Education forum as Philosophy forum where we can discuss purely philosophical concepts and ideas. Religion is just not the right place for it, and because there is no dedicated forum, there is less philosophical discussion and topics being made.

And remember, philosophy is love of wisdom, love of knowledge, so Education is the perfect place for it.

(I know that a lot of people wanted an Economics forum too, so perhaps it could be used for that also. I was told that some philosophers in the old days actually became economists because people needed great thinkers to come up with proper economic structures.)
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 1:57:28 PM
Ethics goes in religion or society depending on whether it's dealing with intrapersonal or interpersonal behavior. Epistemology in science or education. Metaphysics goes in science or occasionally religion. Politics goes in politics. Aesthetics goes in art. It's not hard.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 2:13:46 PM
At 12/29/2009 1:57:28 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Ethics goes in religion or society depending on whether it's dealing with intrapersonal or interpersonal behavior. Epistemology in science or education. Metaphysics goes in science or occasionally religion. Politics goes in politics. Aesthetics goes in art. It's not hard.

I assume you are using sarcasm as a method of agreement.

Otherwise, this is just another reason why we need a designated forum.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 3:51:48 PM
At 12/29/2009 1:48:02 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Since there won't be any changes made to the forums, we should designate the Education forum as Philosophy forum where we can discuss purely philosophical concepts and ideas. Religion is just not the right place for it, and because there is no dedicated forum, there is less philosophical discussion and topics being made.

And remember, philosophy is love of wisdom, love of knowledge, so Education is the perfect place for it.

(I know that a lot of people wanted an Economics forum too, so perhaps it could be used for that also. I was told that some philosophers in the old days actually became economists because people needed great thinkers to come up with proper economic structures.)

It seems like what you would like to discuss can take place in other forums.
Na, seems like it would confuse some people.

I don't understand why Philosophy (concepts and ideas) concerning religion can not be discussed in the religion forum.

or

Why Philosophy (concepts and ideas) concerning politics can not be discussed in the politics forum.

And since philosophy is a form of humanities, which could be considered under education or arts already. It seems to have it's own spot in those two forums.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 4:17:14 PM
The main point here is that forum organization--at least for now in our small, little community--really doesn't matter all too much. Let live with what we have now.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 4:17:50 PM
It seems people don't understand what I'm getting at. There should be a place specifically for discussing matters like determinism, monism, dualism, moral skepticism, deism, existentialism, holism, theories of time, ethics, metaphysics, etc. These are things that don't belong in religion or science.

If philosophy isn't it's own topic and always a part of some other field, why are there college courses specifically about philosophical matters? Why not include it in political science or theology? Simple; it is a separate area of study that can sometimes be talked about in other areas of study.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 4:22:39 PM
At 12/29/2009 4:17:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
It seems people don't understand what I'm getting at. There should be a place specifically for discussing matters like determinism, monism, dualism, moral skepticism, deism, existentialism, holism, theories of time, ethics, metaphysics, etc. These are things that don't belong in religion or science.

They can be squeezed in to science, politics or religion for the time being. It's not a pressing issue. Forums aren't exactly overflowing with misplaced philosophical discussion.

If philosophy isn't it's own topic and always a part of some other field, why are there college courses specifically about philosophical matters? Why not include it in political science or theology? Simple; it is a separate area of study that can sometimes be talked about in other areas of study.

There are also college courses for engineering, chemistry, physics, teaching, et.c
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 4:29:20 PM
@Panda

You're right, the college course argument fails, but you know what I mean. Philosophy is it's own area of study, not something that can be lumped with others.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 4:36:16 PM
At 12/29/2009 4:29:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@Panda

You're right, the college course argument fails, but you know what I mean. Philosophy is it's own area of study, not something that can be lumped with others.

I suppose, but we may have more pressing issues, mainly, the Voting tab and an Edit post button.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 4:36:35 PM
At 12/29/2009 4:36:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
@Panda

I suppose, but we have more pressing issues, mainly, the Voting tab and an Edit post button.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 4:41:03 PM
At 12/29/2009 4:36:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
@Panda

I suppose, but we have more pressing issues, mainly, the Voting tab and an Edit post button.

My proposition requires no changes. All I'm asking is that people treat the education forum as a philosophy forum. No moderating or site updates needed. I just want people to create all philosophy topics in Education and this might also spark more topics about philosophy which seems to be lacking, especially for a debating site.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 4:46:09 PM
At 12/29/2009 4:40:35 PM, mongeese wrote:
Categories we want (but don't necessarily need):
Economics
Philosophy

This list used to be bigger, I think.

Start a thread with this being the primary topic.
Kinda of a wish list so we do not forget.