Jump to topic:

Pick your Own!

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 10:02:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
In constructing a list of instructions for my current "pick your own" debates, I realized that what I was writing seemed to look remarkably like a guide on making good resolutions. I'd like input from everyone and possibly create a nice, encompassing guide on what types of resolutions are best for the "pick your own" debates.

Here's what I have so far:*

This is going to be a standard 3-round debate where my opponent submits debate topics and I pick one to debate.

The first round will be dedicated to this intro and my opponent's submission of resolutions and the position to be taken.

The second round will begin with my choice of topics. If I am PRO, then debating will start with me in Round 3. If I am CON, then debating will start with my opponent in Round 2 and end with me in Round 5. My opponent will then omit his argument for his final turn.

SUBMISSION OF RESOLUTIONS:

My opponent may submit any number of resolutions, provided that they cover at least three of the six categories listed below.

Acceptable categories include: Health, Religion, Philosophy, Science, and Politics.

Submitted resolutions should be balanced and broad enough to be used in formal debate competitions. A general guideline is that a stranger should be able to argue the Pro position with as much ease as the Con position for the resolution.

Arguments should focus on the issue at hand. Semantic arguments will count as poor conduct unless of utmost importance to the debate. Both debaters should check and use the comment section frequently in order to resolve minor issues and clarify misunderstandings outside of debate.

*Obviously, it has a few of my preferences tossed in. What I'm looking for is a way to make this more concise, especially the instructions on how the turns are organized.

I also want to include a section on certain types of debates. I got cornered by Patsox, who submitted several resolutions about whether one athlete or musician was better than another. I find these types of topics to be awkward in this particular form of debate.

I'd also like to incorporate a method of organizing the turns if I decide to let my opponent choose my position after I choose a topic.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 10:05:28 PM
"My opponent may submit any number of resolutions, provided that they cover at least three of the six categories listed below.

Acceptable categories include: Health, Religion, Philosophy, Science, and Politics."

You said you would list six categories, but only five are given.
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 10:25:09 PM
At 12/29/2009 10:02:24 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I also want to include a section on certain types of debates. I got cornered by Patsox, who submitted several resolutions about whether one athlete or musician was better than another.

LOL.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 10:30:12 PM
I would like to thank my opponent for making this debate.

I await my opponent's affirmation, definitions, and supporting information for the affirmation.

Affirmation - an affirmation is a statement you are trying to debate for. Usually done in the "I affirm that _Topic___of___debate" format. In this case your affirmation would be I affirm that the U.S. should allow free trade with Cuba.

Definitions and Explanation: Here is where you should define the words: free trade, and set up a strict standard for the what is free trade and what isn't. Make it clear where to draw the line between free trade and restricted trade. These lines should be clearly distinguishable. By which standards should this debate be judged? Should judges weight the economic benefits, the political benefits, or moral reasons for doing so? Are all three completely equal? Are there any other benefits other than those already suggested? If so how do they rank with the other categories?

Supporting Information - This is where you would include reasons why the United States should allow free trade with Cuba. What would the US gain politically, economically, morally, etc. from trading with such a country. The supporting information should utilize your definitions and explanations. You should clearly show why the US should allow the free trade with Cuba. As the person who created the resolution, you have the burden of proof and thus must prove, (using your definitions and explanations) along with examples factual/logical information why the protests are justifiable. You should also give your opinion on other countries that the US does not trade with such as North Korea, Iran, etc.. Should the US trade with them too?

Thanks and good luck on the debate!

What I post to noobs for every R1 when they fail to present an argument and are the pro.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 10:43:52 PM
At 12/29/2009 10:30:12 PM, johngriswald wrote:
I would like to thank my opponent for making this debate.

I await my opponent's affirmation, definitions, and supporting information for the affirmation.

Affirmation - an affirmation is a statement you are trying to debate for. Usually done in the "I affirm that _Topic___of___debate" format. In this case your affirmation would be I affirm that the U.S. should allow free trade with Cuba.

Definitions and Explanation: Here is where you should define the words: free trade, and set up a strict standard for the what is free trade and what isn't. Make it clear where to draw the line between free trade and restricted trade. These lines should be clearly distinguishable. By which standards should this debate be judged? Should judges weight the economic benefits, the political benefits, or moral reasons for doing so? Are all three completely equal? Are there any other benefits other than those already suggested? If so how do they rank with the other categories?

Supporting Information - This is where you would include reasons why the United States should allow free trade with Cuba. What would the US gain politically, economically, morally, etc. from trading with such a country. The supporting information should utilize your definitions and explanations. You should clearly show why the US should allow the free trade with Cuba. As the person who created the resolution, you have the burden of proof and thus must prove, (using your definitions and explanations) along with examples factual/logical information why the protests are justifiable. You should also give your opinion on other countries that the US does not trade with such as North Korea, Iran, etc.. Should the US trade with them too?

Thanks and good luck on the debate!

What I post to noobs for every R1 when they fail to present an argument and are the pro.

Would it be okay if I used something like this? My opponent is both Pro and Instigator, and has not yet made an argument. He's waiting for me, and I don't think that's fair.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 10:12:23 AM
At 12/29/2009 10:25:09 PM, patsox834 wrote:
At 12/29/2009 10:02:24 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I also want to include a section on certain types of debates. I got cornered by Patsox, who submitted several resolutions about whether one athlete or musician was better than another.

LOL.

You're mean and I stick my tongue out in your general direction. I have a hunch that you purposely made note of the fact that I never debate sports or art :P
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 11:59:15 AM
At 12/30/2009 10:12:23 AM, Kleptin wrote:
I have a hunch that you purposely made note of the fact that I never debate sports or art :P

No, but I did pick topics that would be biased in my favor intentionally.