Jump to topic:

Idea for quality voting

Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 10:51:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Perhaps there should be a short voting tutorial one has to read before voting privileges are granted. When I was new, I didn't create very good RFDs because I didn't know that a lack of RFD is a vote bomb.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 10:54:05 PM
At 10/29/2013 10:51:33 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
Perhaps there should be a short voting tutorial one has to read before voting privileges are granted. When I was new, I didn't create very good RFDs because I didn't know that a lack of RFD is a vote bomb.

"Check if you have read and agreed to all terms and conditions"
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 10:58:02 PM

OR.... We could kill those who make bad votes, and then smear their blood on the walls of DDO as a warning to others.....

It would also serve as a neat Halloween decoration!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:02:57 PM
At 10/29/2013 10:54:05 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

No one really reads those. It needs to be short.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:03:00 PM
At 10/29/2013 10:58:02 PM, imabench wrote:

OR.... We could kill those who make bad votes, and then smear their blood on the walls of DDO as a warning to others.....

It would also serve as a neat Halloween decoration!

I'll get my machete ready

ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:11:06 PM
What's the point in a tutorial? you can pretty much put any crap you want in RFD, doesn't matter if it has anything to do with the debate just has to sound like you are stating a fact.

I think the site would be better off without the voting mechanic, the FAQ is putting out something of false advertizing with things like:

"In essence, vote bombing is unfair or unfounded voting."

Or http://www.debate.org...

"Remember, voting on Debate.org is based on fact and NOT on Opinion."

Two people can't verify the quality of hundreds of votes a week they would need to read every debate to do so.

I'm sure I'm not the only one disappointed, so why pretend you can decide the winner of a debate by votes unconstrained by rules of logic? There is already the opinions and polls if you just want to see what people think.

By the time you get the system instead of moderators to validate the logic of votes you will have rebuilt the entire thing and it would be so complicated most people wouldn't use it.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:11:58 PM
At 10/29/2013 11:11:06 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:
What's the point in a tutorial? you can pretty much put any crap you want in RFD, doesn't matter if it has anything to do with the debate just has to sound like you are stating a fact.

I think the site would be better off without the voting mechanic, the FAQ is putting out something of false advertizing with things like:

"In essence, vote bombing is unfair or unfounded voting."

Or http://www.debate.org...

"Remember, voting on Debate.org is based on fact and NOT on Opinion."

Two people can't verify the quality of hundreds of votes a week they would need to read every debate to do so.

I'm sure I'm not the only one disappointed, so why pretend you can decide the winner of a debate by votes unconstrained by rules of logic? There is already the opinions and polls if you just want to see what people think.

By the time you get the system instead of moderators to validate the logic of votes you will have rebuilt the entire thing and it would be so complicated most people wouldn't use it.

Why are you dreaming of liberty? Do you not live in the United States? Are you not free, now?
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:15:04 PM

When you joined, did you get a "welcome to the site" auto PM? Many sites have that from the admin, that is just automatically generated when you join. They can be great ways to direct new members to sources that can help them.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:23:06 PM
At 10/29/2013 11:11:58 PM, YYW wrote:
Why are you dreaming of liberty? Do you not live in the United States? Are you not free, now?

Eh, first off what the hec does that have to do with my post?

I do live in the United States but I am not completely free, and neither are you. We are all subject to the will of the majority in ways we should not be.

Liberty is not a right to vote, its liberty. The United States Constitution has never guaranteed liberty. All it guarantees is that the government can't ignore its own laws, and that you can vote for people who decide those laws. The content of the laws are unrestrained. The powers of Congress unlimited provided they exercise it threw new law.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:27:22 PM
At 10/29/2013 11:23:06 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:
At 10/29/2013 11:11:58 PM, YYW wrote:

Eh, first off what the hec does that have to do with my post?

Not a thing. I'm far more interested in your username.

I do live in the United States but I am not completely free, and neither are you. We are all subject to the will of the majority in ways we should not be.

So you're an anarchist?

Liberty is not a right to vote, its liberty. The United States Constitution has never guaranteed liberty. All it guarantees is that the government can't ignore its own laws, and that you can vote for people who decide those laws. The content of the laws are unrestrained. The powers of Congress unlimited provided they exercise it threw new law.

Yes. I'm starting to think you're more of an anarchist... perhaps an anarchist disguised as a libertarian disguised as a republican, but surely an anarchist.
Tsar of DDO
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:33:51 PM
At 10/29/2013 11:27:22 PM, YYW wrote:

You could have said @ADreamOfLiberty instead of copying my whole post.

So you're an anarchist?

No, an anarchist is someone who doesn't believe in government or law. I don't believe law need limit personal liberty.

Yes. I'm starting to think you're more of an anarchist... perhaps an anarchist disguised as a libertarian disguised as a republican, but surely an anarchist.

lol ok, call me what you want it's not going to change my beliefs so I don't care what labels you use; just be consistent.

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:35:48 PM

I'm not sure it should be required to read before voting privileges are granted because we couldn't possibly enforce it even if put up on the screen when someone signs up. The idea of the 3 debate thing is intended to familiarize members with the site, but it's apparent that doesn't always happen.

But an exhaustive explanation of voting is needed, and is being worked on. Anyone who would like to hep with this should contact me (via PM) as soon as they can.

I find that new members are the most problematic voters. They often don't seem to realize that the points each stipulate a different category. Or realize that a basic explanation is needed. It's pretty simple to deal with this and I have spent a lot of time talking with new members about voting over the past year, but a detailed explanation being provided for every aspect of voting is very much needed.

I think a quick explanation with the basics should be provided, and a thorough one, as well as an explanation for lesser thought of aspects, like how to vote on plagiarized debates, single round FFs, how to vote on conduct and sources etc, is something that could only benefit the site.

So I can't stress enough that any member who wants to help, even by just writing up a couple paragraphs on how they feel a member should vote on sources or S&G, should contact me because it would be very much appreciated.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:39:57 PM
At 10/29/2013 11:02:57 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
At 10/29/2013 10:54:05 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

No one really reads those. It needs to be short.

I agree, and I've often done my best to explain proper voting in as few words as possible. like: "All votes need to explain every point you award and explain why you voted the way you did", but I usually have to expand on this. So while having the basic information is great just for starters (to avoid the 7 point default situation that happens) a comprehensive guide is also needed.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:40:48 PM
At 10/29/2013 11:33:51 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:
At 10/29/2013 11:27:22 PM, YYW wrote:

You could have said @ADreamOfLiberty instead of copying my whole post.

I could have... wanna fight about it?

So you're an anarchist?

No, an anarchist is someone who doesn't believe in government or law. I don't believe law need limit personal liberty.

So, you're an anarchist in denial...

lol ok, call me what you want it's not going to change my beliefs so I don't care what labels you use; just be consistent.

I dub thee... Sir Anarchist In Denial.
Tsar of DDO
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:51:47 PM
At 10/29/2013 11:40:48 PM, YYW wrote:

Sure, pistols or sabers?

You know I've always wanted to start a list of titles given me by people online. I think I'll do it this time.

A Dream of Liberty -
Troll
Donkey Fvcker
Sick
Anarchist in Denial

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2013 11:55:46 PM
At 10/29/2013 11:51:47 PM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:
At 10/29/2013 11:40:48 PM, YYW wrote:

Sure, pistols or sabers?

I've only fired a gun a few times in my life. I'd be terribly unprepared to that end. Swords of any kind would be sort of a similar situation.

I was thinking more of a street fight...

You know I've always wanted to start a list of titles given me by people online. I think I'll do it this time.

A Dream of Liberty -
Troll

Are you?

Donkey Fvcker

Gross.

Sick

Well, if bestiality is your thing...

Anarchist in Denial

NO!

Sir Anarchist in Denial...

lol
Tsar of DDO
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2013 12:39:55 AM
At 10/29/2013 11:55:46 PM, YYW wrote:

A Dream of Liberty -
Troll

Are you?

Decidedly not

Sick

Well I didn't start the fire, it's been burning since the worlds been turning.

NO!

lol

Updated...

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2013 12:46:12 AM
At 10/30/2013 12:39:55 AM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:
At 10/29/2013 11:55:46 PM, YYW wrote:

So, no to the street fight, then?

A Dream of Liberty -
Troll

Are you?

Decidedly not

Well that's certainly good to hear... although I never thought you were a troll, just a closet anarchist.

Sick

Well I didn't start the fire, it's been burning since the worlds been turning.

It's ok. Just blame Billy Joel.

NO!

lol

Updated...

Very good, then.
Tsar of DDO
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2013 12:55:33 AM
At 10/30/2013 12:46:12 AM, YYW wrote:
You scared me with rocky, that looks like it hurts.

Well that's certainly good to hear... although I never thought you were a troll, just a closet anarchist.

Given my record of debating here I don't think it's very plausible that I would keep much in the closet...

Yea you can trace all evil back to either Bush, Billy Joel, or ninja aliens.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2013 1:03:16 AM
At 10/30/2013 12:55:33 AM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:

Ok. Wrestling, then? That's always fun. lol

Given my record of debating here I don't think it's very plausible that I would keep much in the closet...

Well, there are some things best left in the closet... like Rick Santorum.

Well, the fire was Billy Joel's fault. #shootthemessenger lol

All evil in the world? No. Just blame human depravity.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2013 1:10:43 AM
At 10/30/2013 1:03:16 AM, YYW wrote:

...always deflecting blame away from the ninja aliens.. typical
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2013 1:17:12 AM
At 10/30/2013 1:10:43 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 10/30/2013 1:03:16 AM, YYW wrote:

...always deflecting blame away from the ninja aliens.. typical

You know what? It the ninja aliens didn't do a damn thing. It was those damn dirty lizard people!
Tsar of DDO