Jump to topic:

A standarized document on debating standards

NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2013 8:32:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I feel like repeating the same rules each time I initiate a debate, so my plan is to have a widely-accepted, standardized treatise (which can have different levels) that many debaters can agree to use by just saying that there debate is based on the NDRE Lv.1, for example. I do realize this website already has terms of use, but those are limited and not focused on the course of the debates themselves.

Most of the rules in the NDRE are going to be based on the common practice or patterns of behavior that I've deduced from the voters themselves, but it makes more sense to have such rules validated and treated as accepted terms and conditions, since it would be easier to have a reference against anyone who violates such rules.

If you think this is a bad idea, it makes no sense reading any further if you disagree from the start.

I'm going to provide a rough example of the first level of the NDRE. This is incomplete and I expect some errors, disagreements and loopholes. I don't expect this to be thought of as a complete/perfect set of rules that must be standardized. The work is still in progress. I'm just posting this to get some feedback at this early stage.

NDRE LV.1 (Strict)

CRITICAL RULES:

Preface: Any violation of the rules in the "Critical Rules" section results in a seven-point loss, unless one or more violations were committed by both participants(Pro and Con). If the latter occurs, the seven-point penalty is ignored.

A.1.1 Plagiarism is not allowed. Plagiarism is not only copying/pasting exact passages but it also could involve copying/pasting material with a few changes while using the same methods of presentation of the original author such as linguistic style, similar diagrams, same sources, etc.

* To reference large passages, it is advised to use block quotations with proper references.

A.1.2 Images which are screenshots of passages of text are not allowed, unless the text within the images/screenshots, after being added to the text, does not exceed the character limit allowed to the debater by more than 100 characters.

A.1.3 Providing more than six images per round is not allowed as pictures can themselves be considered further arguments and evidence, even if they didn't contain any text.

A.1.4 Providing more than three videos per round is not allowed as videos can themselves be considered further arguments and evidence. However, the total amount of minutes in all the video(s) should be less than 30 minutes as a total to be accepted.

A.1.5 Using URL-shortners or any form of URL hiding is not allowed. Citations should be present in the text itself and not in the comments, as some readers will be discouraged to find those citations in the comments section, especially in debates that have many comments.

A.1.6 If Con initiated the debate, then Pro cannot introduce any new arguments in the final round but summarize his position and previous arguments briefly.

A.1.7 Any clearly defined and well-stated conditions in the opening statement of the debate mustl be treated as critical rules if the initiator of the debate clearly stated that they should be followed.

ETIQUETTE STANDARDS:

Preface: Any violation of the standards in this section results in the loss of the conduct point. However, the voter is allowed to go beyond that penalty if the situation permits.

A.2.1 Each participant should thoroughly read the citations of her/his opponent thoroughly before jumping into wrong conclusions and accusations. Any false accusation about any sources that is proven to be false is considered a violation of the etiquette standards.

A.2.2 Personal insults are not allowed if there is no justification that would suffice such personal attacks. This, however, doesn't apply on debates where the opponents are meant to insult each other, or the debate itself is about someone to begin with.

A.2.3 The use of the comment section while the debate is running or in the voting period is considered a violation as both participants(pro and con) are supposed to stop debating when the debate is over.

I'm planning on expanding it later and hosting it on a website for later use if I get good feedback.

N,
Thanks for reading.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2013 8:36:57 PM
If you do that, put a link in the debate to this thread (or whatever thread has those rules) so any new members know of those rules before they accept the debate or vote on it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 7:52:37 AM
At 11/2/2013 8:36:57 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
If you do that, put a link in the debate to this thread (or whatever thread has those rules) so any new members know of those rules before they accept the debate or vote on it.

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks.